[1.12.x] Mk2 Expansion v1.9.1 [update 10/5/21]

Awesome models man :D by far my favorite plane related mod.

What is the reason for killing J. Edgar (I like those a lot)? Those engines look awesome and as Hookswords demonstrated badass things can be made with them.

@Dogpool; The primary reason for depreciating the 'J.Edgar' line of hover engines was a concern about part bloat and to a lesser degree about styling. This pack already has 12 engines, with plans for for a few new LF/O rocket engines in the works. Keeping the J Edgars would add another two to that. That said, I suppose I could return them as heavy lift engines or something.

Question for the thread: Do people:

A) Prefer the new engines?

B) Prefer the old engines?

C) Want to have them both with the old engines tweaked for heavy lifting and the new engines kept as light weight fighter VTOL engines?

@Dogpool; The primary reason for depreciating the 'J.Edgar' line of hover engines was a concern about part bloat and to a lesser degree about styling. This pack already has 12 engines, with plans for for a few new LF/O rocket engines in the works. Keeping the J Edgars would add another two to that. That said, I suppose I could return them as heavy lift engines or something.

Question for the thread: Do people:

A) Prefer the new engines?

B) Prefer the old engines?

C) Want to have them both with the old engines tweaked for heavy lifting and the new engines kept as light weight fighter VTOL engines?

Personally I would prefer to have them both - if someone really does not want something, then they can ditch it themselves.

Cheers,

I agree with @frozenwatters ditching unnecessary parts is not hard and a must in order to keep part counts down

Also in my previous post I wanted to ask if chine intakes are in your plan for the future, but I got distracted by beer :D

And now you got me hyped over mentioning LF/O

There's really no need for depreciation. As frozenwatters said, if someone doesn't want them, they could delete them themselves.

That's what I do, some parts in here are really neat and I like them a lot, but others I would never ever use or are redundant with other mods I use.

In other words, just do whatever you want, it's your mod. You can have as many or as few engines as you like, and if we disagree we can tweak it to suit ourselves.

That's what I do, some parts in here are really neat and I like them a lot, but others I would never ever use or are redundant with other mods I use.

In other words, just do whatever you want, it's your mod. You can have as many or as few engines as you like, and if we disagree we can tweak it to suit ourselves.

This is the attitude I wish more users would have. Instead of make it for me and how I want it.

@King_komodo93; Did you install the Community Resource pack bundled with the mod? It's a dependency.

@Minecraf345;A screenshot of the issue would help.

@TheHengeProphet; That's odd, since FAR thought the previous version was hollow half way down the cockpit

I finally was able to get a screenshot fLcdYzU.png

@Minecraf345;Huh. That shouldn't be there. Thanks for bringing it to my attention; I'll fix it for next update.

@Everyone: The recent general response of pick & cull in regards to what parts people use got me curious. What parts do people use? So, two quick questions for the thread:

1: What part(s) do you consider essential/use most?

2: What part(s) do you consider unnecessary/use least?

This isn't going to serve as the basis for further part depreciations or anything like that - I'm simply interested to see how players make use of these parts.:)

@Everyone: The recent general response of pick & cull in regards to what parts people use got me curious. What parts do people use? So, two quick questions for the thread:

1: What part(s) do you consider essential/use most?

2: What part(s) do you consider unnecessary/use least?

This isn't going to serve as the basis for further part depreciations or anything like that - I'm simply interested to see how players make use of these parts.:)

Here are the ones that I've got installed:

AERO:

Adapter Intake

Manta Intake

COMMAND:

Angler Cockpit

Blade Cockpit

Fishhead Cockpit

Raven Cockpit

Viper Cockpit

ENGINES:

Pluto Engine

FUELTANKS:

SpadeTail

Tricoupler

STRUCTURAL:

Mk 2 Decoupler

T-Hub

X-Hub

A part that I would like to see in the future is a short Mk3-Mk2 Bi-Adapter (like the TVR-200L Stack Bi-Adapter).

Edited by Grumman

Thanks!

And here's the list of parts I use on a regular basis:

-Command

The old CB-C Viper cockpit

HV Mk2-1

R-71 Mk2

SC-TD Multipurpose cockpit

-Control

None of these, but I've mainly been working on in-atmo craft.

-Air Intakes

1.25m to Mk2 inline air intake

-Engines

'Afterburn' TurboRamJet

Been working on a challenge that's restrictive toward engines.

-Aerodynamic

Chines in three flavors

Mk1 scale chine pieces - short, long, and end cap segments for 1.25m parts

Mk2 scale chine pieces - short, long, and end cap segments for Mk2 fuselages

Mk2 scale chine wing root pieces - chine adapter, short, and long segments

-Fuselage and structural

Shrouded 1.25m Engine Mount

Hypersonic Mk2 nosecone with integrated RCS

Spadetail Mk2 to wing adapter

Mk2 inverter fuselage

Is anyone else finding it EXTREMELY hard if not outright impossible to make any sort of functional VTOL aircraft using the VTOL engines?

I can balance the thrust of the engines over the center of mass just fine.

I can't get anything to get off the ground vertically when fully fueled. Even partially fueled, stuff only hovers at extremely high throttle settings.

While this might be considered "realistic" by some, it's not fun in any way that I know of.

Two of the engines are for making a plane that looks like the Harrier. Something is wrong if I make a plane that looks like a Harrier, and it refuses to take off vertically like a Harrier can.

In other words, the VTOL engines are grossly underpowered in the thrust department. The engines can barely get out of their own way, let alone lift a plane built around them.

To fix the thrust problem, I was forced to overlap two engines in the same place using the offset tool, and even then the thing only started to hover at 80% throttle.

I think the real fix will be to double the thrust from at least the two Mk2 VTOL engines (the Pegasus and Siddley) Probably the PO-GO as well, but that might work with a 1.5x increase in thrust (currently 40, increased to 60).

While I'm at it, what's with the PO-GO engine having a lifting surface? That seems odd, and it can cause CoL issues when you're trying to get the CoT and CoM aligned.

Edited by SciMan

Mk2Expansion/Parts/Aero/Chines/
Mk2Expansion/Parts/Aero/mk1Chines/
Mk2Expansion/Parts/Command/Fishhead/
Mk2Expansion/Parts/Command/Raven/
Mk2Expansion/Parts/Command/Viper/
Mk2Expansion/Parts/Engines/Aerospike/
Mk2Expansion/Parts/Engines/PLUTO/
Mk2Expansion/Parts/FuelTank/Inverter/
Mk2Expansion/Parts/Structural/
Mk2Expansion/Parts/Utility/DockingPort/
Mk2Expansion/Parts/Utility/RCS/C_Block
Mk2Expansion/Parts/Utility/RCS/Cblock
Mk2Expansion/Parts/Utility/RCS/E_Block
Mk2Expansion/Parts/Utility/ServiceBay/
Mk2Expansion/Spaces/RavenPit/
Mk2Expansion/Spaces/TunaPit/

That's all the stuff I've pulled out. I don't need chines because I have b9 procedural wings (but would totally use them if I didn't). I've pulled the cockpits out largely to reduce part clutter (most of the time I'll probably use the mk2 inline with the hypersonic nose as it has the least drag).

Engines/service bay were removed due to overlap with other mods. Docking nosecone was removed because it's not pointy enough for supersonic flight and my use of connected living space means I can't really put it at the back.

The inverter and the structural hubs are interesting, but I just don't see myself ever using them. I've seen cool stuff made with them, but that's just not my build style.

@ SciMan; The Jumpjet radial VTOL engine is not supposed to have a lifting surface - slipped in when writing the .cfg (thanks, copy-paste). As to your troubles with VTOL craft, how heavy are your planes?

If you want more powerful VTOL engines, at present you have two easy options: In the Mk2Expansion/parts/Legacy folder there are the old VTOL engines. Simply move them to the Mk2Expansion/Parts/Engines to be able to use them. They are larger, but more powerful. Alternatively, if you don't want to mess around with that, then you can use a MM patch to buff the engines:

@PART[M2X_Pegasus]
{
@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
@maxThrust = 150
}
}
@PART[M2X_Siddeley]
{
@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
@maxThrust = 150
}
}
@PART[M2X_Jumpjet]
{
@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
@maxThrust = 60
}
}

The craft I was having problems with wasn't heavy at all.

It's only a small fighter, probably under 10t mass fully fueled.

I did the MM config thing. So far, results are OK.

Why were the J-Edgar VTOL engines moved to "legacy" status anyways? Asking because I don't like to get in the habit of using deprecated stuff because I never know when it'll disappear for good.

Edited by SciMan

@ SciMan; under 10 tons? Hmmm. Looks like an engine stats tweaking is in order. Don't worry about the J. Edgars - they'll be back in the next update. The reason they are where they are currently was the original plan was to replace them with the new VTOL engine lineup. At this point, though, they will be tweaked to be suitable for heavy lift applications to supplement the lighter Siddeley and pegasus engines.

@ greydragon70: I've added a github DL link to the OPs for both mods

Thanks! Kerbal Stuff is working now, just had to update my antivirus and browser so they would accept the new certificate he is using.

By the way I love the Mk2 Expansion. It's on my top five list of mods I can't go without. Can't wait to play with the Tie Fighter cockpit.