[1.12.x] Mk2 Expansion v1.9.1 [update 10/5/21]

@Hazelnut; Do you mean the HS-X cockpit? I can take a look, see if I can replicate the bug. As for the rapier-like engines, do you mean the ESTOC or the MATTOCK?

The Advanced hypersonic cockpit is the one I have been using, so it may happen with others too. I also found it occurred when reloading a save as well. I have a mk2 drone core so I control from there and ignored the issue, but it would be good to fix it.

I mean both, although I only tried the ESTOC once and it didn't perform well enough on the sci plane I was building so I may never have got to that point - can't recall. With the MATTOCK's I had 2 and at 12-18k alt IIRC and mach 3.7 the combined thrust was about 1200-1300 kN (as reported by KER) and when I click on the engine I've never seen above 700kN when the stated max thrust is something like 1600-1900kN (sorry can't check I am at work)

Using a manta per mattock, so maybe it's airflow?

I found the 250 data limit on the mk2 lab very restrictive, maybe 400 would be better? I understand you want to limit it from the basic lab but because sci/day scales with data, 250 is too low to be of any use. (that and the fact I forgot to put enough solar panels to run it... :-))

@Hazelnut; I can't replicate the navball bug - tried with multiple crafts, different revert scenarios (from runway, in flight, post crash). No idea whats causing it. The ESTOC and MATTOCk use the same velcurve and atmcurve as the RAPIER, and I've seen similar behavior with the RAPIER. I think the top speed listed is the theoretical maximum before atmosphere density thrust reduction? As for the science lab, I can buff it a little, but I might need to increase the weight slightly in turn, since at present it has half the science capacity for half the weight as the 2.5m lab.

@Hazelnut; I can't replicate the navball bug - tried with multiple crafts, different revert scenarios (from runway, in flight, post crash). No idea whats causing it. The ESTOC and MATTOCk use the same velcurve and atmcurve as the RAPIER, and I've seen similar behavior with the RAPIER. I think the top speed listed is the theoretical maximum before atmosphere density thrust reduction? As for the science lab, I can buff it a little, but I might need to increase the weight slightly in turn, since at present it has half the science capacity for half the weight as the 2.5m lab.

I have a hunch that the navball bug only occurs if the part is the root part of the craft. Reason for this is that I had a similar issue with a Tweak Scaled KSPI fuel tank yesterday where it kept resizing to default size whenever I reloaded or reverted to launch. Changing the root part to something un-scaled fixed the issue and I suspect it might be why you dont see the bug. Try making it root part. I think cabins will often be root parts, so it would be good to know why it was happening.

Yeah, probably was that. Had fun withe the MATTOCK engines anyway, no matter.

The science lab is a tricky one, right now IMO it's only good for resetting experiments, but any science class can do that so it's simply not worth having as I found out when I tried it. Admittedly I only had a single 1* scientist, but with only 250 data the science return was 0.003 after several days of research. Maybe reduce the weight to a quarter and make it half as long for 250 science since the research return isn't linear? I think 350-400 data for half weight would be fair TBH, but it's your mod. I shan't be using it again, and I could easily edit the config if I did want to so no need to change it on my behalf.

Hey SuicidalInsanity,

Your service bay isn't properly shielding its contents as it is right now. (Quick way to test: put a solar panel inside, set it to an action group, launch, and try toggling it while the bay is closed. If the panels open, they're not protected, and neither is anything else inside.) The ModuleCargoBay doesn't point to the animation module, and the center is surrounded by a tank, so it wouldn't actually shield anything even if the DeployModuleIndex were correct. (Check out my post over here for more details.) To fix it, delete the current ModuleCargoBay and replace it with these:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleCargoBay
DeployModuleIndex = 1
closedPosition = 0
lookupRadius = 1
lookupCenter = 1, -0.5, 0
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleCargoBay
DeployModuleIndex = 1
closedPosition = 0
lookupRadius = 1
lookupCenter = -1, -0.5, 0
}

This puts a ModuleCargoBay "bubble" on each side of the center tank, so the rays properly catch the parts to be shielded, and "DeployModuleIndex = 1" indicates that the animation is the second module in the config (counting zero-indexed), after the ModuleLiftingSurface.

Also for your consideration, here's a patch that will let engineers in the lab be more effective for building stuff with Extraplanetary Launchpads -- not as much as they could be in a workshop, but better than a command pod (in line with the stock lab):

@PART[M2X_SmallLab]:AFTER[ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads]
{
MODULE
{
name = ExWorkshop
productivityFactor = 0.6
}
}

Finally, the small lab should have mk2 as its bulkheadProfiles, not size2, which is for round 2.5m things.

Thanks!

Ah that would be why my Science Jr kept exploding on re-entry when it was in the cargo bay then? Since everything else is attached to it it always leaves me a bay full of floating science experiments when landing... :-D

Love this mod. That said, a few things have come up while fooling around with it -

1) I've been having a few issues with the high-visibility cockpit - just how much clearance do you need from the ground to get a Kerbal in/out? I've got a rover that looks similar to your front-page example but using rugged wheels instead of balloon ones, and even with a decent ground clearance Jeb remains stuck :(

2) Likewise, I've noticed the VTOL rear engine doesn't let you attach anything to it - while I get the engine itself should be left alone, it'd be nice to be able to strap tails to the sides of the mounting, yeah? I can't speak to the other engines and their, uh, mountability, but this one stood out to me whilst I was building my zoomy devices.

3) The science lab seems a little... light. I get it's smaller, and holds less science, but even so I'd expected it to be a pretty heavy payload - and it's nearly half the weight of the stock example, which should probably be the 'gold standard'.

4) I'm also mildly bothered by the fact the nuclear jet is surprisingly light and remarkably high-peformance (even with decent thrust vectoring on a naked nozzle, apparently?) for a pay-no-fuel-ever engine, but that might be my personal sensibilities showing ;)

5) Is it possible to have the Utility section actually toggle between LFO/Fuel/Oxidiser/Monopropellant instead of just having sliders for all three? Don't get me wrong, it works as is, but it feels a little weird that you can a) load a single part up with all three, and B) you can take oxidiser out but don't get to pack any extra liquid fuel in for your troubles, if that makes sense. I've been using this part a whole lot, because it's awesome, so the incongruity has stuck out. Perhaps this is just a matter for having another mod alongside? I don't really know.

Don't get me wrong, though - this mod is one of my favourites, because I love me some Mk2 planes, and this is my favourite parts pack for them bar none. In fact it's the fact I use it so heavily that I've noticed the quirks, and wanted to comment accordingly. :D

@Kerbas_ad_astra;

Thanks! I'll implement this in the next update.

@Kweller;The engine FX is not supposed to to be present when off and on launchpad. Why it's happening, I don't know, I've never seen this behavior on my test copy of KSP - does the stock turbojet have a similar issue? Are you running any FX mods that might have a compatibility issue?

@Reiver; 1) Yeah, that cockpit is finicky, which is why I ultimately added the top hatch - kerbals can enter through the bottom hatch, but leaving through the bottom I found to be hit or miss. I'll most likely be reworking the model somewhat for the next update.

2) I'm depreciating the old clunky J.Edgar engines come next update for nicer, more usable models, and the engine that takes the place of the rear mount VTOL engine will have a 1.25m attach node on the end for primary jet engines, tails, etc.

3) When I originally make the mk2 lab I made it half the weight for half the efficiency. This didn't quite end up as intended, so a rebalance of the mk2 sci lab is in progress.

4) The Rontgen was always something that I'm less than totally happy with. Cnceptually, it was an end game engine to allow exploration of more planets with aircraft. In practice, it seems, the balance of it is still a little off. I can't really make it any heaver, but I can take another look at the velcurve and atmo curve. Alternatively, I can make default its usage of Enriched Uranium, giving it a finite flight time before it becomes a mildly radioactive dead weight.

5) With the base mod, the universal tank has small tankage for the main fuel types, removing oxidizer and not getting more LF is in this case no different than trying the same thing with a FL-T800; the ability to toggle between fuel types is added with IntersetellarFuelSwitch, which is included with the mod as an extra.

Small request for the SR-71 cockpit. The textures imply that it has RCS retrograde thrusters built into it. Can those be made to actually function, so I can have retrograde thrusters without needing to mar the aerodynamics of my build?

Also, whenever I try to build a plane that uses the wing-root chines to connect the wings to a Mk2 fuselage, this happens.

How do I prevent the chines from making everything sag?

Edited by StevieC
Originally forgot to mention a problem I'd been having.

@StevieC; With the wing root chines, there are a few things I can try to strengthen them for the next update. For a more immediate solution, you could try adding some struts or moving the landing gears inward. Alternatively, I would recommend getting the Kerbal Joint Reinforcement mod, which gets rid of the floppy rocket problem found in stock KSP.

If I remember Porkjet correctly, the RCS looking things that are on the R-71 cockpit and originally the MK2 cockpit were supposed to be cameras or similar. That said, it wouldn't be difficult to add RCS functionality to them. Hmm. Perhaps I should add a 1.25m RCS nosecone to complement the mk2 ones as well...

Just wanted to post to you a note that I'm currently using your newest mod version in conjunction with Ven's Stock Part Revamp v1.8.1 without any texture issues so far. I believe Ven updated his mod a bit ago so it would not conflict with others like yours or SXT. I haven't dived in to deep into building a lot of Mk 2 SSTO's but what I have done is good to go so far. The only 'issue' I see is your parts are not illuminated as his are but thats no biggie for me. As far as you know is your mod still in conflict with Ven's? If I run into future conflicting mod trouble I'll give you a friendly notice.

Looks like the M2X_AtomicJet is causing my client to seize on load. Any ideas on how to remedy this without deleting it?

[edit]Nevermind, looks like it required the community resource pack, which the readme did not state was required.[/edit]

Edited by TheHengeProphet

@Reiver; Thanks. Got any screenshots?

@CarnageINC; I don't know if it conflicts at this point, I haven't really been following the progress of the Stock Revamp mod for a while. Originally, there were some texture issues, hence the list of textures to restore. If everything is playing nice with the newest version, though, I'll remove the conflict warning. For now, though, I'll leave it up for a little bit just in case.

@TheHengeProphet; Known Issue, my fault. I forgot to update the included readme when I last updated the mod, hence the confusion.

omg i just had the funniest thing happen.

i was testing the hypersonic cockpit with nothing but the spade tail attached, i think i was testing interstellar fuel switch for bugs, so i was using SAS to move it around, and i started rotating it. and it spun, and it spinned like, really fast. and then it went upright, like a spinning top. then more things happen, and the camera angle went wierd. and the spade tail fell off. and then, it became a magical top that could move across kerbin with the WASD keys, and it was spinning INSANELY fast on its nose and the camera was perpendicular to the ground. screenshot: (i think) 7TBLQ9p.png

What node sizes are we talking here? 1.25m nodes a linear tricoupler might work, but anything greater - quad and quintacoupler would be better suited for mk3. If its 0.625m then sizes remain reasonable, but there aren't that many 0.625m parts unless you use mods, so short of stacking massive numbers of ion engines or Oscar-B tanks, I'm not sure how practical they would be.