[1.12.x] Mk2 Expansion v1.9.1 [update 10/5/21]

On 31.3.2016 at 8:22 PM, SuicidalInsanity said:

The good news is that M2X isn't quite as broken as I thought it would be

Glad to hear that M2X will be a part of 1.1. M2X is the reason why my interest in KSP is still going strong. It makes the SSTOs have that sleek look.

BTW, as a reply to the FAT-wings and mk2 fuselage: Clipping into the structure looked just fine :) Feel like a fool for not even thinking of that.

Updating is going well; the new tools to play with in 1.1 means most of the dependencies M2X used are now redundant, since there are now stock options that provide equivalent functionality. At this point the 1.1 compatibility update is basically done; the only thing I have left to do is get the M2X landing leg converted, which is dependent on how fast I can uncover the secrets of the dark art of KSP 1.1 wheel/leg creation.

Mk2Expansion 1.7 for KSP 1.1 update.

Download from SpaceDock

Changelog:

Spoiler

Version 1.7
===========================================
1.1 update
-New example crafts
-All parts now have uniform M2X prefix - this will probaly break saved/inflight crafts
-Model Rework: ESTOC now has bottom attach node, fairing, rocket mode heat FX
-Model Rework: Linear Aerospike now has bottom attach node, fairing
-Model Rework: Ion Engine now has fairing, bottom node
-Model Rework: R-71 cockpit has been lengthened, given minor cosmetic tweaks; may break saved craft
-Model Rework; P-G0 radial VTOL engine has been completely remade
-Model Rework: J. Edgars have been combined into one part; this might break saved/in-flight craft
-Model Rework: Shockcone, now has thermal animation
-Model Rework: RCS blister model reworked, now has multiple variants
-Model Rework: Shrouded solar panel completely reworked
-New Part: OMS Blister - more powerful LF/O version of the Configurable RCS blister
-New Part: Mk2 subsonic intake
-New Part: Banshee Lift Fan radial variant
-New Part: low-profile Aligned docking port
-Model retexture: mk2 Precooler
-Ion Engine thrust/Ec/s rebalanced
-New FX; AARE and AASRBs now have custom FX
-Fixed Air-Augmented engines mode switch dual activation issue
-Mk2Science Lab IVA tweaked
-Afterburn Ramjet thrust curve tweaked to provide more power at low mach
-CB-C cockpit LiquidFuel tank removed
-Science Lab science/data yields rebalanced
-Alternate 4 seat science lab IVA config added
-all parts now have search tags
-part Depreciation: Mk2 inline Drill, Mk2 ISRU refienry, Mk2 Generator, Mk2 Ore Tank; parts have been spun off into Stockalike Mining Extension; this might break saved/in-flight craft

Version 1.7.01 prerelease
================================
AASRBs now have increased intakeAtm storage and intakes now have mach curves buffing their intake ability at low speed
tweaked AASRB intakeAtm consumption, should be a bit easier to use
tweaked AASRB thrust down slightly to improve burn time
tweaked Sledgehammer AARE, should function properly now switching engine modes
Air Augmented engines now have max thrust/ISP listed in their part descriptions
Tweaked Banshee, now uses FanIntakeAir to prevent Banshee from acting as a 2m intake for any other jets on the craft
Vector turbojet alternator now functions during afterburner operation

Version 1.7 prerelease
==============================
-New part: Mk2 Inline ISRU drill
-New Part: Mk2 ISRU refinery
-New part: Mk2 ore tank
-New Part: Mk2 FuelCell
-New part: 'Hyperblast" Mk2 Scramjet
-New part: 'Boost-O-Tron' Air-Augmented radial SRB
-New Part: 'Mallet' Air-Augmented radial SRB
-New part: 'Sledgehammer' Air-Augmented Rocket Engine
-New part: 'Banshee' Mk2 Lift fan
-New Part: Linear tricoupler
-New Part: Mk2 Radial Attack mount A
-New Part: Mk2 Radial Attach Mount B
-Air Intake intake volumes and masses rebalanced to be more inline with squad values
-Model rework; 'Rontgen' no longer has integrated air intakes, now uses standard intakes
-Fixed 'Wirligig' reverse thrust
-Model rework: Service Bay collider issue fixed, added IFS configurable tanks
-Model rework: Spadetail now has IFS alternate models
-Model Rework: CBC Cockpit Viper Variant mesh slightly tweaked, retextured
-Model Rework: Chine symmetry fixed, will now properly place when attaching chines to other chines in Mirror symmetry mode
-Fixed CB-C intake NoAttach colliders
-Engine colliders reworked; parts can now be placed on engine housings
-reworked applicable parts' ModuleTestSubject
-Model rework: Cockpits now have togglable window emissives
-Model Rework; Mk2 hubs now have configurable fuel tanks
-Model retextures: changed model textures on some models to remove depeciated SQUAD texture references

A fairly hefty update, especially for those of you who missed the 1.7 prerelease. Things of note in this update:

• Fairings: Where appropriate, rocket engines now have fairings and bottom nodes
  • New engine type: 1.7 adds Air-Augmented Ramrockets. These work similar to the RAPIER/ ESTOC/ MATTOCK except they work in any atmosphere, and they have dynamic ISP that scales with mach in augmented mode; details in their part decriptions
  • Rontgen and other non-oxygenated air-breathing engines  now require standard air intakes, but will still function in non-oxygenated atmospheres
  • Chines now have proper radial&mirror symmetry and attach nodes
  • IFS integration: A number of parts have been depreciated and folded into omni-parts that are configurable to the specific mission. this includes, but is not limited to the Service Bay and RCS thrusters.
  • General part rebalances and reworks
  • All parts are now searchable
  • the Mk2 Landing Leg is semi-functional, and is included as a placeholder until I either get it functioning or reworked

Due to the number of changes to part lineup and naming convention, this update will likely break in-flight and saved craft. For optimum results, recover these vessels prior to M2X 1.7 installation.

This version of 1.7 does not include patches for mod integration (DRE, FAR, etc) at this time. As other mods get updated for KSP 1.1, MM patches for them will be added when appropriate.

Hi is it possible to keep name of those parts next time or even using the old name with the new replacement please? It is so painful to build a new one after updates :( Is this too hard to make? If yes, just ignore my request :)

The part names won't change again. Using the old names may or may not work, because the part lineup has changed somewhat; some parts have had name changes, other parts no longer exist and were replaced by newer versions. Depending on what parts your craft is now missing it may be possible to fix the craft via editing the craft file in notepad or something similar. if you can post the list of what is missing from your craft when you try to load it, I could tell you if the craft can be recovered.

21 minutes ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

The part names won't change again. Using the old names may or may not work, because the part lineup has changed somewhat; some parts have had name changes, other parts no longer exist and were replaced by newer versions. Depending on what parts your craft is now missing it may be possible to fix the craft via editing the craft file in notepad or something similar. if you can post the list of what is missing from your craft when you try to load it, I could tell you if the craft can be recovered.

I tried the following renames:

Renames
Old name New name
TunaCockpit M2X_TunaCockpit
mk2.MantaIntake M2X_MantaIntake
mk2SCRCS M2X_SCRCS
mk2FF5WayRCS M2X_FF5WayRCS
mk25WayRCS M2X_FF5WayRCS

But this doesn't seem right?

9 minutes ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

Dues to how .craft files are formatted, underscores become periods, so you'll need M2X.partname instead of M2X_partname.

Thanks! The save loaded now (haven't switched to the crafts yet). Do you think the renaming of both mk2FF5WayRCS and mk25WayRCS to M2X.FF5WayRCS will work? Or is there still the equivalent of mk25WayRCS left?

There might be some minor issues with block placement - they might be slightly clipped in the fuselage, etc, since the two blocks weren't the exactly the same size, but it should work, with the old 2x5way RCS blocks replaced with FF5Way RCS blocks. There still is an equivalent to the old 5way and 2x5way RCS - it's the new M2X_RCSBlister part, but I'm not sure how it would work if it were edited into a craft file since it's now an IFS configurable Linear/2-way/4-way/5-way RCS omni-part.

Excellent news, that was what I was hoping for, just minor clipping. Good enough to load and retire / redesign the craft. Right now my save is still not up and running, having some save issues. The log file points to broken contracts, I suspect contracts for renamed parts:

LOG 21:07:51.292] [INFO] ContractConfigurator.ContractConfigurator: Finished Adjusting ContractTypes
[LOG 21:07:51.367] Contract Log: Outdated save file detected! All contracts in save file were updated!
[ERR 21:07:51.423] Contract: Exception while OnLoad() or SetupID() on contract Test  No situation report available., exception System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Contracts.Templates.PartTest.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Contracts.Contract.Load (Contracts.Contract contract, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[LOG 21:07:51.432] 4/5/2016 9:07:51 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Contracts System Ready
[LOG 21:12:55.310] Flight State Captured
[EXC 21:12:55.334] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Contracts.Templates.PartTest.OnSave (.ConfigNode node)
    Contracts.Contract.Save (.ConfigNode node)
    Contracts.ContractSystem.OnSave (.ConfigNode gameNode)
    ScenarioModule.Save (.ConfigNode node)
    ProtoScenarioModule..ctor (.ScenarioModule module)
    ScenarioRunner.GetUpdatedProtoModules ()
    Game.Updated ()
    GamePersistence.SaveGame (System.String saveFileName, System.String saveFolder, SaveMode saveMode)
    TrackingStationBuilding.OnClicked ()
    SpaceCenterBuilding.EnterBuilding ()
    SpaceCenterBuilding.OnLeftClick ()
    SpaceCenterBuilding+� .MoveNext ()

Do you think CONTRACT_FINISHED pointing to renamed parts might be the culprit?

Edited by tfiskgul

Running a quick test trying to load a non-1.1 career save into 1.1 and the save loads correctly, only issue from a renamed part was a contract becoming "Test Part on an escape trajectory...", and the output_log file doesn't match what you posted. In your log It looks like you're running Contract Configurator, correct? I would try removing Contract Configurator temporarily and seeing if the save can now be loaded.

I am still running 1.0.5, I accidentally updated this addon from CKAN, which stated that 1.0.5 was the max version for 1.7, so I thought it was safe :P

I removed Contract Configurator temporarily, but still got the same error in the log. I then opened the debug menu and removed all completed archived contacts, and the error seems to have been defeated. I can load crafts and switch scenes. The renamed 5 way block worked fine with just the slightest hint of clipping =)

Do you think it is OK to continue running 1.7 on 1.0.5 until 1.1 is released?

Edit: I think I will stay away from CKAN until 1.1 is released

Edited by tfiskgul

Would it be possible to make the pluto engine draw fuel evenly from all tanks like the jet engines do, it would be very helpful for SSTOs so you would not have to constantly move fuel around to keep the pluto fed in orbit.  It would probably be best if the engine was made with multiple modes so this feature could be turned on and off. 

Ok, i just spent the last few hours playing with these. I made a Harrier-jets inspired VTOL with the fishy command pod and then another one in a (mostly) conventional private jet style.

These are awesome.

I didn't know we were allowed to use stock KSP textures for modding. I very much like 3D, but rather dislike making textures. I may adopt this style. :D

On 4/4/2016 at 2:16 PM, SuicidalInsanity said:

Mk2Expansion 1.7 for KSP 1.1 update.

Yay!  All kinds of good stuff in there!  Thanks!

I've been putting some of this stuff to use.  Throttle Controlled Avionics has gotten me into making VTOLs, some of them rather hefty :)  So I'm finally starting to use all your VTOL engines.  Here's Jeb taking is posse out to his island resort (from KerbinSide).

Jeb Cruiser

@Geschosskopf: Nice plane!

@A_Blackhawks_Fan: Pluto fuel draw isn't going to change since it's a rocket, not a jet. However, if you want to add even fuel draw you can open up the pluto.cfg and in the ModuleEnginesFX change

PROPELLANT
		{
			name = LiquidFuel
			ratio = 0.9
			DrawGauge = True
		}

to

PROPELLANT
		{
			name = LiquidFuel
			resourceFlowMode = STAGE_STACK_FLOW_BALANCE
			ratio = 0.9
			DrawGauge = True
		}

@biohazard15: Shift Key, thou hast failed me! Thanks for the heads-up, I'll get those fixed.

Thanks for the 1.1 update :)

Having a little issue though, seems that every part which has fuel is causing the COM to flicker between 2 points. Is this an issue with interstellar fuel switch? Or any other idea what could be causing it.

Thanks

On 7.4.2016 at 7:33 PM, Torih said:

Thanks for the 1.1 update :)

Having a little issue though, seems that every part which has fuel is causing the COM to flicker between 2 points. Is this an issue with interstellar fuel switch? Or any other idea what could be causing it.

Thanks

I am getting this too. In my current SSTO design the dV is switching between 11.000 and 13.000 every other second. 

@Torih & SkyKaptn: It's either a bug with the editor scene or an issue with IFS. it looks like the game is trying to calculate the vessel stats/CoM based on both the dry and fueled variants simultaneously and it's throwing errors. I'll look into it, though I suspect it won't get resolved until the official !.1 release and its bugfixes arrive.

@BelgarionNL: The Scramjet has a very specific operating environment. It won't turn on unless you're going at least mach 4.5. Optimum operating conditions are something like 1700-2000+ m/s at 27000-35000m altitude.

Edited by SuicidalInsanity