[1.12.x] Mk2 Expansion v1.9.1 [update 10/5/21]

@Fireheart318 @FirroSeranel @SuicidalInsanity Pardon me for poking a dead horse. On the subject of SCRamjets, I've had much fun learning for myself and designing crafts around the Hyperblast since I first encountered it in KSP 1.0.5. I find this engine quite magical and easy to use, actually. The issues I have are that:

1. Other M2X ramjets aren't OP enough (even modestly) to help get the Hyperblast going, and certain M2X fuselage parts don't have the heat tolerance to survive the levels that my hypersonic vessels can go or intend to go.
  2. I don't mean to offend but the M2X hypersonic cockpit and nose don't have the skin to keep up. :) My NOX family spaceplanes all end up with OPT cockpits or a stock heatshield on their nose... Or both, which is actually very reasonable, IRL physics and their rated speeds considered. 

This craft, the NOX Palladium, is a small treasure. It has 1x Hyperblast, 2x J-58 Afterburn and 2x Rapiers in their own action groups for efficiency if not intended to hypercruise, or if intending to trample through the Stratosphere and get to hypercruise. By the way I welcome the suggestion that the Afterburn should be buffed, or a higher end ramjet be added as it saddened me to add the Rapiers for this reason. The palladium easily claims an apoapsis of 500km before running too low on fuel to circularize in orbit--and that's without a stock nuke attached so it can operate in space, but then the craft falls out of its very delicate TWR profile and can't build the prerequisite speed anymore to be worth anything.

2D9M9Hj.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/6RzO5

This one is the NOX Crown, my pride and joy among spaceplanes. It's a very heavy, and near-perfect multipurpose vessel. Despite its many OPT engines, those alone are not enough to make it a king among spaceplanes. It has 4x Hyperblast engines and can clip Eve's Periapsis (but useful remaining dV ends there) before leaving Kerbin's atmosphere. The best part is that it and any other NOX family planes need No Oxidzer™ to do their jobs.

CidUzNk.jpg

I love this . I was looking for an engines to make a spaceplane in 10x kerbin and here comes the mighty SCRAM that works like SCRAM not some "limited to mah 6 jet engine"   .I love it

Now please tell me there is planned larger version of scram engine so i can start working on cargo spaceplane :o

2 hours ago, Karamon said:

I love this . I was looking for an engines to make a spaceplane in 10x kerbin and here comes the mighty SCRAM that works like SCRAM not some "limited to mah 6 jet engine"   .I love it

Now please tell me there is planned larger version of scram engine so i can start working on cargo spaceplane :o

You might wanna check out the Mark IV from the same author as this mod

@Karamon This is why I love the M2X Scramjet. It's not a "hybrid" that starts like any other turbojet and has just a little more lifespan than the next engine. This is the real deal, a thoroughbred scramjet. Sadly I don't think @SuicidalInsanity has made any other scramjets (I do hope he makes a Mk3 one as well) but if you lookup the old parts pack Mk3 Hypersonic Systems in the meantime, you will find a a suite of beastly 2.5m and 3.75m turboramjets and a super-heavy radial Mk3 Scramjet.

Spoiler

This plane made 3 TWR in just a few seconds on the runway in stock scale with at least 60 tons cargo and easy leaped several hundred km into space and still had amazing dV to spare.

ltGVcGo.jpgBmqmrkn.jpg

I very rarely use Mk3 parts, personally, but I'd be as happy as anyone if an M3X scramjet appeared!

Edited by JadeOfMaar

MKIV does not have any good engines . Ok they are good but for stock game . AS i mentioned i play 10x scale and SMURFF set to 1 so my orbital velocity starts around 7500 m/s so engines "WhateverSizeCloneSabre" are far from doing anything useful, 2000 m/s to start rocket engines and 30 km height is simply not working .

First fast build hypersonic drone did 4000 m/s and more than 50 000 meters, i was climbing too steep and it flamed out  . So the difference is huge and i bet i can get close to 5000 m/s and around 60 000 m if i fly correctly and build vessel corectly

14 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Fireheart318 @FirroSeranel @SuicidalInsanity Pardon me for poking a dead horse. On the subject of SCRamjets, I've had much fun learning for myself and designing crafts around the Hyperblast since I first encountered it in KSP 1.0.5. I find this engine quite magical and easy to use, actually. The issues I have are that:

1. Other M2X ramjets aren't OP enough (even modestly) to help get the Hyperblast going, and certain M2X fuselage parts don't have the heat tolerance to survive the levels that my hypersonic vessels can go or intend to go.
  2. I don't mean to offend but the M2X hypersonic cockpit and nose don't have the skin to keep up. :) My NOX family spaceplanes all end up with OPT cockpits or a stock heatshield on their nose... Or both, which is actually very reasonable, IRL physics and their rated speeds considered. 

This craft, the NOX Palladium, is a small treasure. It has 1x Hyperblast, 2x J-58 Afterburn and 2x Rapiers in their own action groups for efficiency if not intended to hypercruise, or if intending to trample through the Stratosphere and get to hypercruise. By the way I welcome the suggestion that the Afterburn should be buffed, or a higher end ramjet be added as it saddened me to add the Rapiers for this reason. The palladium easily claims an apoapsis of 500km before running too low on fuel to circularize in orbit--and that's without a stock nuke attached so it can operate in space, but then the craft falls out of its very delicate TWR profile and can't build the prerequisite speed anymore to be worth anything.

2D9M9Hj.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/6RzO5

This one is the NOX Crown, my pride and joy among spaceplanes. It's a very heavy, and near-perfect multipurpose vessel. Despite its many OPT engines, those alone are not enough to make it a king among spaceplanes. It has 4x Hyperblast engines and can clip Eve's Periapsis (but useful remaining dV ends there) before leaving Kerbin's atmosphere. The best part is that it and any other NOX family planes need No Oxidzer™ to do their jobs.

CidUzNk.jpg

First off, those are some nice looking planes

Secondly, don't mean to self-advertise here, but I'm working on a mod that allows active cooling on wing surface (linked in my signature), at the cost of a significant chunk of electric charge. Eventually the plan is to add open and closed loop cooling in addition to the pure electric one currently implemented. This might solve your heating problem.

@JadeOfMaar: Nice planes.
For ramjet thrust values, i can buff the Afterburn a little bit, which should help reaching scramjet speeds, but I don't think I'm going to add another ramjet. For the Palladium, at 42 tons, I can see why you're having thrust issues. At that weight, a 4x Whiplash or 2x ESTOC setup would work better than 2x Afterburn.
Regarding hypersonic part max temps, those are easy enough to raise, and it gives me an excuse to rework the hypersonic nosecone and throw some HRSI tiles on the front

@karamon: Mk2 scrams actually work fairly well for mk3 planes, but yeah, I can add a M3X scramjet.

Edited by SuicidalInsanity

No need, i hit the wall :D i got too mah 16 and my planes became very unstable, i need totally different aproach and learn some basics how to buil prober plane cause untill now i focused mainly on rockets . But still awesome mod man, i mostly like that most of the parts have real use in-game . Rovers, planes , planes for no-oxigen planets , landers , vtols , vacuum vtols tons of options . In many mods i delete half of the useless parts that are garbage and here whenever i look there is ton of options

Edited by Karamon

I am having a problem with the CB-C cockpit, it says there are 3 variants of it. When I select it and place it I have all 3 variants as one part, and there is no way to select which variant I want. Could anyone point out what I am doing wrong, or if I am missing a specific mod to allow the part change, thanks.

Merry ChristKwanHanuFestiSol, everyone. Mk2Expansion  gets a holiday update, M2X 1.7.26; grab from the Usual Places.
Changelog:

Spoiler

-New Part: Shrouded Thermal Control System
-Part Rework: Hypersonic Nosecone
-Part Rework: Spadetail
-Hypersonic Cockpit and Hypersonic nosecone max temp increased
-Fixed engine FX, removes Aero FX/Engine FX interaction
-Tweaked Afterburn thrust curve
-'Vector' turbojet mass reduced
-'Wedge' Linear Aerospike mass reduced
-'Sledgehammer' Air-Augmented rocket thrust reduced
-Various part costs adjusted to be more in line with stock prices

Edited by SuicidalInsanity

On 12/19/2016 at 5:20 PM, Karamon said:

No need, i hit the wall :D i got too mah 16 and my planes became very unstable, i need totally different aproach and learn some basics how to buil prober plane cause untill now i focused mainly on rockets . But still awesome mod man, i mostly like that most of the parts have real use in-game . Rovers, planes , planes for no-oxigen planets , landers , vtols , vacuum vtols tons of options . In many mods i delete half of the useless parts that are garbage and here whenever i look there is ton of options

Mach 16? Surely you had the heat cheat on for that. :o I've seen Mach 11 without it but by then my engines were dead and Oberth was carrying me up (stock scale).

Don't forget bases and stations. M2X is quite nice for those too. :wink: They just need a new flavor of creative juice.

The problem is that i cannot recreate it now :D

First attempt was just fast built plane without "proper balancig"  and it flew very good untill fuel run out around mah 15-16 . Now when i balance CoL and CoM try building proper plane fastest i got was mach 13 and planes lose stability .

I use SMURFF set to 1 so it makes everything lighter and add some more power to engines so that might be the case , plus my atmosphere is 20% higher so a little more air on higher alts .

About heat , yes plane started to build up heat but it could go a little more . No hax , maybe FAR is the cause

I just started new career and build most basic planes to really learn how to make them fly properly so maybe later i'll make a spaceplane .

Edited by Karamon

As per our PMs, I've put together the first set of MM Patches for interoperability with USI stuff. First up is the M2X-to-MKS patch: 

//Adds MKS modules to M2X parts

@PART[M2X_DropshipCockpit]:NEEDS[KolonyTools]
//Makes the Dropship Cockpit a resource distributor like the karibou rover
{

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleResourceDistributor
	}

}

@PART[M2X_Reactor]:NEEDS[KolonyTools|Karbonite|FTT&!NearFutureElectrical]:FOR[Mk2Expansion]
//Removes M2X reactor modules and makes them MKS alike. Also edits flavor text
{

@entryCost = 5000
	@cost = 50000
	@mass = 1.1
	@description = A compact nuclear reactor for interplanetary operations, spacecraft, stations, and surface bases. This reactor, in the Mk 2 formfactor, is completely compatible with USI models.
	@maxTemp = 3400
	@TechRequired:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree] = largeNuclearPower

!MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter]{}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleResourceConverter
		ConverterName = Reactor
		StartActionName = Start Reactor
		StopActionName = Stop Reactor
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = EnrichedUranium
			Ratio = 0.00000078
		}
		OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = DepletedFuel
			Ratio = 0.00000052
			DumpExcess = true		
		}
		OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = XenonGas
			Ratio = 0.00000026
			DumpExcess = true		
		}
		OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = ElectricCharge
			Ratio = 230
			DumpExcess = false		
		}
		AutoShutdown = true
		TemperatureModifier
		{
			key = 0 2000000
			key = 750 200000
			key = 1000 20000
			key = 1250 10000	
			key = 2000 200	
			key = 4000 0
		}				
		GeneratesHeat = true
		DefaultShutoffTemp = .8
		ThermalEfficiency 
		{
			key = 0 0 0 0
			key = 500 0.1 0 0
			key = 1000 1.0 0 0
			key = 1250 0.1 0 0
			key = 3000 0 0 0 
		}			
	}	

@RESOURCE[EnrichedUranium]
	{
		@amount = 22
		@maxAmount = 22
	}

@RESOURCE[DepletedFuel]
	{
		@amount = 22
		@maxAmount = 22
	}

!RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]{}

MODULE
	{
		name = USI_ModuleFieldRepair
	}

@MODULE[ModuleCoreHeat]
	{
		@CoreTempGoal = 1000					//Internal temp goal - we don't transfer till we hit this point
		@CoreToPartRatio = 0.1				//Scale back cooling if the part is this % of core temp
		@CoreTempGoalAdjustment = 0			//Dynamic goal adjustment
		@CoreEnergyMultiplier = 0.1			//What percentage of our core energy do we transfer to the part
		@HeatRadiantMultiplier = 0.05		//If the core is hotter, how much heat radiates?
		@CoolingRadiantMultiplier = 0		//If the core is colder, how much radiates?
		@HeatTransferMultiplier = 0			//If the part is hotter, how much heat transfers in?
		@CoolantTransferMultiplier = 0.01	//If the part is colder, how much of our energy can we transfer?
		@radiatorCoolingFactor = 1			//How much energy we pull from core with an active radiator?  >= 1
		@radiatorHeatingFactor = 0.01		//How much energy we push to the active radiator
		@MaxCalculationWarp = 1000			//Based on how dramatic the changes are, this is the max rate of change
		@CoreShutdownTemp = 4000				//At what core temperature do we shut down all generators on this part?
		@MaxCoolant = 400					//Maximum amount of radiator capacity we can consume - 50 = 1 small
	}	
}

Not a whole lot here. The first part lets any vessel (under 10 tonnes, I believe) with the Dropship Cockpit ferry resources between two vessels/bases that are landed within 2 km of the dropship. The USI Karibou rover does the same thing. The second part rebalances/reconfigures the Mk2 reactor to behave like a USI one. Basically, it's stats are the same as the 1.25 m USI one (since the mk2 profile is basically a 1.25 m tube that tapers out on either end, I didn't think there would be any more useful space in there for more reactor) but it still keeps the radiator and lifting body. As a penalty, it is a little bit heavier and more expensive. The patch does not apply if NFE is installed for two reasons: one, you already have a NFE compatibility patch, and two, NFE modifies (or used to modify, anyway) USI reactors to behave like NFE ones. No point in overriding that. 

The USI-LS patch for M2X is even smaller: 

@PART[M2X_SmallLab]NEEDS:[USILifeSupport]FOR:[Mk2Expansion]
//Adds a life support recycler to the Mk2 Science Lab. Supports fewer kerbals and less efficient than stock lab.
{

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLifeSupportRecycler
		CrewCapacity = 3
		RecyclePercent = .4
		ConverterName = Life Support
		tag = Life Support
		StartActionName = Start Life Support
		StopActionName = Stop Life Support

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = ElectricCharge
			Ratio = 1
		}
	}

}

The only thing I've done is added a life support recycler (which, in the USI-LS world reduces a kerbal's life support resource consumption rate) to the Mk2 science lab. USI-LS adds similar functionality to the stock lab, so this was pretty straightforward. When I do the M3X version, it will be significantly more efficient than this one, which is slightly less efficient than the stock one. 

Part of the problem with the Mk2 profile when it comes to USI-LS is the concept of habitation/living space. The idea is that a kerbal can't reasonably stay sane for months on end locked up in a Mk1 command pod for months on end, so the mod imposes a 7.5 day-per-seat limit, with a few parts being dedicated to habitation (the stock hitchhiker is one. It seats 4, but it's so large that it could conceivably have crew quarters dedicated to longer-term expeditions). Mk2 parts tend to be pretty cramped, though, so it's hard to make a case for which, if any, should allow kerbals to take longer voyages. The Mk2 crew cabin has airline seating; not the way you'd want to spend a month-long voyage. The best thing I can think of would probably be something the size of the stock Mk2 crew cabin, but with only capacity for 1 kerbal. I think anyone who is using USI-LS likely has to accept that the Mk2 fuselage is ill-suited for any trips outside of Kerbin's SOI

Like I said before, if you decide to ship these, make sure to ping me if anyone has any issues with them. No sense in sending you a couple of MM patches and then not at least trying to support them. 

Thanks!

@SuicidalInsanity could I please request that you make a minor adjustment of the MM arguments in you patch for ModuleResourceIntake?

"Mk2X_AtmIntake.cfg"

In my mod I have an intake switch, which works like resource switching, just for intakes instead. However, you patch is conflicting with my mod. I do believe the following does the trick

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake],@RESOURCE[IntakeAir],!RESOURCE[IntakeAtm]]:NEEDS[!WarpPlugin,!GTI]
{
	+MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake]{ 
	@resourceName = IntakeAtm
	@checkForOxygen = false
	}

+RESOURCE[IntakeAir]{
	@name = IntakeAtm
	}
}

I just added the "!GTI" in the needs part.

I have tried patching this through MM, but it becomes very complicated to undo your patch, and I just figure that it would be easier to put this small check into you mod instead.

I noticed the same is true for your other mod for MK3 parts.

I love your two mod, and hope you will make the change.

On 3/11/2016 at 4:08 PM, SuicidalInsanity said:

@steve_v: The integrated radiators are adequate for stock, but NFE enabled nuclear engines are going to require additional radiators. Regarding fuel flow cooling, that's something to ask Nertea about - my best guess from looking at NFE reactor cfgs is NFE reactors generate substantially more heat per second than is consumed when the engine is running.

Revisiting this, and comparing your patches to the ones shipped with KerbalAtomics, yours appear to be missing the exhaustCooling field in the FissionFlowRadiator module. This would explain the complete lack of cooling from exhaust.

Assuming the KerbalAtomics patches are correct (going by the author, I would expect them to be), and that the ratios translate directly to your engines:
HeatGeneration for the Rontgen is 40000, so HeatUsed should be 800, not 900. exhaustCooling should be 800 also. For maxEnergyTransfer, KerbalAtomics uses the same value as HeatGeneration, so 80000 -> 40000.
Pluto just needs the exhaustCooling field, in this case HeatGeneration/50 = HeatUsed = 1300.
Hades & Sievert (M3X) appear to have the same reactor stats as the pluto (which seems a bit silly, but whatever), and need exhaustCooling too.

Also, as these are engines, adding FollowThrottle = true to FissionReactor may be beneficial (and save fiddling with context menus in flight).

I'm cobbling together a few patches ATM, will try them out with the mentioned values soon.

Edit: Well, bugger me. It still doesn't work properly (still getting rapid overheats), but the stock NTR with the KA provided patches behaves this way too. NM, wrong ModuleEngines :rolleyes:. Still appears to be no exhaust cooling at all.
Guess I'll go bug Nertea then...

Ed.
@SuicidalInsanity: Fixed it. :D ModuleActiveRadiator on the Pluto was interfering with FissionFlowRadiator. Thanks to Nertea for pointing this out.
As universal patches to your patches:

Spoiler

--- Mk2X_NFE_Functionality.cfg.orig     2016-12-29 01:59:16.000000000 +1300
+++ Mk2X_NFE_Functionality.cfg  2017-01-01 15:36:43.000000000 +1300
@@ -7,6 +7,7 @@
                StopActionName = Deactivate Reactor
                UseStagingIcon = true
+               FollowThrottle = true
                UseForcedActivation = false
                UseSpecializationBonus = false
                AutoShutdown = true
@@ -59,6 +60,7 @@
        {
                name = FissionFlowRadiator
                passiveCooling = 65
+               exhaustCooling = 1300
                maxEnergyTransfer = 65000
                overcoolFactor = 0.20
                maxLinksAway = 1
@@ -114,7 +116,8 @@
        {
                @heatProduction *= 0.1
        }
-
+       !MODULE[ModuleActiveRadiator] {}
+       !MODULE[ModuleAlternator] {}
 }
 @PART[M2X_AtomicJet]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]:NEEDS[!KSPIntegration]:FOR[Mk2Expansion]
 {
@@ -125,6 +128,7 @@
                UseStagingIcon = true
                AutoShutdown = true
@@ -176,7 +180,8 @@
        {
                passiveCooling = 80
-               maxEnergyTransfer = 80000
+               exhaustCooling = 800
+               maxEnergyTransfer = 40000
                overcoolFactor = 0.20
                maxLinksAway = 1
                isCoreRadiator = true
@@ -185,7 +190,7 @@
        {
                name = FissionEngine
                Priority = 1
-               HeatUsed = 900
+               HeatUsed = 800
                TempIspScale
                {
                        key = 300 0

--- M3X_NFE_Functionality.cfg.orig      2016-12-26 20:43:03.000000000 +1300
+++ M3X_NFE_Functionality.cfg   2017-01-01 15:38:26.000000000 +1300
@@ -7,6 +7,7 @@
                UseStagingIcon = true
                AutoShutdown = true
@@ -59,6 +60,7 @@
        {
                passiveCooling = 65
                overcoolFactor = 0.20
                maxLinksAway = 1
@@ -114,6 +116,7 @@
        {
                @heatProduction *= 0.1
        }

}
 @PART[M3X_NuclearJet]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]:NEEDS[!KSPIntegration]:FOR[Mk3Expansion]
@@ -125,6 +128,7 @@
                UseStagingIcon = true
                AutoShutdown = true
@@ -176,6 +180,7 @@
        {
                passiveCooling = 65
                overcoolFactor = 0.20
                maxLinksAway = 1
@@ -231,5 +236,6 @@
        {
                @heatProduction *= 0.1
        }
 }

Or as a MM patch to your patches:

Spoiler

@PART[M2X_Pluto]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]:NEEDS[!KSPIntegration]:AFTER[Mk2Expansion]
{	
	@MODULE[FissionReactor]
	{
                %FollowThrottle = true
	}
	@MODULE[FissionFlowRadiator]
	{
		%exhaustCooling = 1300
	}
	!MODULE[ModuleActiveRadiator] {}
	!MODULE[ModuleAlternator] {}
}

@PART[M2X_AtomicJet]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]:NEEDS[!KSPIntegration]:AFTER[Mk2Expansion]
{	
	@MODULE[FissionReactor]
	{
                %FollowThrottle = true
	}
	{
		%exhaustCooling = 800
		@maxEnergyTransfer = 40000
	}
  	@MODULE[FissionEngine]
	{
		@HeatUsed = 800
	}
}

@PART[M3X_Hades]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]:NEEDS[!KSPIntegration]:AFTER[Mk3Expansion]
{	
	@MODULE[FissionReactor]
	{
                %FollowThrottle = true
	}
	{
		%exhaustCooling = 1300
	}
}

@PART[M3X_NuclearJet]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]:NEEDS[!KSPIntegration]:AFTER[Mk3Expansion]
{	
	@MODULE[FissionReactor]
	{
                %FollowThrottle = true
	}
	{
		%exhaustCooling = 1300
	}
}

Edited by steve_v

• 3 weeks later...

@Phoenix84: Mk2 Expansion has had IFS integration pretty much since its initial launch, M2X version 1.1.0 I believe was when it was included.
The version of IFS included with M2X is only the core plugin, not the full version (full version comes with some complementary MM patches that add fuel switch options to everything).

@EstebanLB: M2X does not have a LF only bicoupler, though I could extend the fuelswitch patch for the M2X parts to include the stock bicoupler. Alternatively, the full version of IFS would provide a LF only option to the stock bicoupler since IFS full add fuel switch options to all the stock parts.