[1.12.x] Mk2 Expansion v1.9.1 [update 10/5/21]

Just updated on CKAN. Loaded game. All ships using parts from this mod did not load. SPH and VAB missing all parts from this mod.

That sounds like what happened for me but I, being the intelligent person that I am, didn't check the ksp sub-folders at all. I guess I was wrong about the interstellar fuel switch conflict. Like I said, I'm very intelligent.

What is "Ships/@thumbs/VAB/Thumbs.db" anyway? It doesn't show up in the folder that it's supposedly in so I'm guessing it's hidden.

Edited by volcanicshrimp

@Stained_Axe; The lowered temps are from the DRE compatibility MM patch, but that shouldn't trigger unless you actually have DRE installed. The easiest work around is to simply delete the Mk2Expansion/patches/M2X_DRE.cfg MM patch

Thank you, that seems to have fixed it. I didn't think to actually search through the files for the oddly specific temperature.

Just to confirm, I definitely do not have DRE installed, so, yeah, no idea...

That sounds like what happened for me but I, being the intelligent person that I am, didn't check the ksp sub-folders at all. I guess I was wrong about the interstellar fuel switch conflict. Like I said, I'm very intelligent.

What is "Ships/@thumbs/VAB/Thumbs.db" anyway? It doesn't show up in the folder that it's supposedly in so I'm guessing it's hidden.

Those thumbs.db files are image indexes that windows creates. They're mostly harmless.

It's completely related. That's what happened.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/121224-1-04-Mk2-Expansion-v1-6-UDATE-9-24-2015?p=2231443&viewfull=1#post2231443

- - - Updated - - -

Also trying to switch the dependency to FuelSwitch-Core so that FuelSwitch default config can be uninstalled. https://github.com/qm3ster/NetKAN/commit/aaaa7500ce16d43bb0b7eee000dca1b7306dffa3

Any possibility of a conformal set of extending radiators? (Kinda like the solar panels?) I realize that some of my SSTO flight profiles generate a lot of heat if I'm trying to conserve fuel by punching through the atmosphere relatively quickly (I'm also using OPT parts). I wind up with (internally) quite warm parts once I'm in orbit (NFE's RTGs seems to soak it up.) I'd used the stock radiators, but the static ones seem to be useless and the extending ones aren't aerodynamic. (I'm having a hell of time trying to balance form and function with those things on an SSTO.)

And speaking of the conformal solar panels: they don't seem to mirror quite right. In mirror symmetry, the doors both slide in the same direction rather than actually mirrored.

And this is just me nitpicking (OCD was kicking in): if you have the time and patience, would you be willing to do a pass on the MK2 chines and get the models and textures to line up with each other? Some of them don't quite match. I'm also the one that asked about inline stack attachment points on the chines (for easier line up) a while back.

@qm3ster; That's what I figured had happened - the install stanza confusion was from the change from find 'ships' to find 'SPH' and find 'VAB'. I've just uploaded version 1.6.06. It doesn't change or add anything to the mod, but fixes the file structure the mod is packaged with, and removes the thumbs, which should resolve the CKAN issue.

@StahnAileron; Yes. While it wasn't something I had considered before, there certainly seems to be a need for a shrouded radiator. I'll add it to the list for 1.7. The solar panel will be reworked as well, so the mirror symmetry issue will be fixed. Chines will also be getting a rework and stack nodes.

Any possibility of a conformal set of extending radiators? (Kinda like the solar panels?) I realize that some of my SSTO flight profiles generate a lot of heat if I'm trying to conserve fuel by punching through the atmosphere relatively quickly (I'm also using OPT parts). I wind up with (internally) quite warm parts once I'm in orbit (NFE's RTGs seems to soak it up.) I'd used the stock radiators, but the static ones seem to be useless and the extending ones aren't aerodynamic. (I'm having a hell of time trying to balance form and function with those things on an SSTO.)

And speaking of the conformal solar panels: they don't seem to mirror quite right. In mirror symmetry, the doors both slide in the same direction rather than actually mirrored.

And this is just me nitpicking (OCD was kicking in): if you have the time and patience, would you be willing to do a pass on the MK2 chines and get the models and textures to line up with each other? Some of them don't quite match. I'm also the one that asked about inline stack attachment points on the chines (for easier line up) a while back.

In the meantime, the small extendable radiators fit nicely in a service bay

In the meantime, the small extendable radiators fit nicely in a service bay

This mod's Service bay (well, the MonoProp/EC one; prettys sure there was another SB in this mod) seems to have an odd collider for surface mounting stuff. Probably a stock KSP quirk, honestly. I did try placing the small rads in the service bay, but it looked ugly. Yes, functionally it was fine, but since the service bay (visually, from my PoV) wasn't meant to have stuff mount on the central shaft, I didn't like it. Plus the model for the stock rads mounting point made it look worse. (Also realized the stock rads are slightly offset. Irks the OCD in me...).

I still wish there was a MK2 cargo bay that acts like a radiator when it's open. Doable in stock with an MM cfg, maybe, but nothing like that model-wise. IIRC, the real Space Shuttles use their cargo bay doors as radiators.

One other thing is a service module that has small deployable solar panels build into them. Think the stock shrouded solar panels, but integrated into a MK2 service-bay sized lifting-body part. MK2 dual-axis tracking Solar panels would be nice, but from what I've seen of dual axis SPs, they're kinda messy to implement. (Dr. Jet's ChopShop has a couple models; they use dual SP modules to work.)

Oh, actually, about the MK2 Landing legs: I know someone brought up the angled foot and it being a limitation of KSP's landing gear/leg module, but have you consider using BDAnimations for the foot (assuming it would work on legs as well)? Adjustable Landing Gear lets you angle both the strut and the wheel, so maybe that could work here, though that is adding a(nother?) dependency. Though KSP 1.1 is coming with a complete rewrite of the wheel/leg module, so this is probably a moot point.

@qm3ster; That's what I figured had happened - the install stanza confusion was from the change from find 'ships' to find 'SPH' and find 'VAB'. I've just uploaded version 1.6.06. It doesn't change or add anything to the mod, but fixes the file structure the mod is packaged with, and removes the thumbs, which should resolve the CKAN issue. @StahnAileron; Yes. While it wasn't something I had considered before, there certainly seems to be a need for a shrouded radiator. I'll add it to the list for 1.7. The solar panel will be reworked as well, so the mirror symmetry issue will be fixed. Chines will also be getting a rework and stack nodes.

But my pull request T_T My poor pull request!

Just updated on CKAN. Loaded game. All ships using parts from this mod did not load. SPH and VAB missing all parts from this mod. Checked what and how CKAN installed the mod and found that inside the Mk2Expansion folder was a Gamedata and Save folder. Files were not put where they were supposed to. If this was already mentioned, sorry. :o

:)

I also manually moved the folders and tried to load ship that used some Mk2 parts and it crashed, I hope its something else. Thanks for your work on this, love it!

Your latest update seems to have broken Interstellar Fuel Switch - you seem to be packaging an outdated version along with this mod that conflicts with the official version from Freethinker. Removed this mod and IFS works properly again. It wasn't a problem until the very latest version of this mod though, before that everything got along well :( What the last 2 posters noted about the nested GameData and Saves folders seems to mirror my experience and could easily explain the problem. Might just be a packaging issue? :)

Your latest update seems to have broken Interstellar Fuel Switch - you seem to be packaging an outdated version along with this mod that conflicts with the official version from Freethinker. Removed this mod and IFS works properly again. It wasn't a problem until the very latest version of this mod though, before that everything got along well :( What the last 2 posters noted about the nested GameData and Saves folders seems to mirror my experience and could easily explain the problem. Might just be a packaging issue? :)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/121224-1-04-Mk2-Expansion-v1-6-UDATE-9-24-2015?p=2231443&viewfull=1#post2231443 <- please read

@SuicidalInsanity why did you have to change @thumbs... Now everyone will think I am stupid and ban me from GitHub. :(

(No, I already changed that too, please don't change it back)

Okay, it's done. It's on CKAN now.

Edited by qm3ster

@StahnAileron;The quiztech mod has a service bay that's empty, might be the one you're thinking about. The attach issue is wonkiness on KSP's part, courtesy of how the symmetry attach mode works - free attach mode works fine, but symmetry causes the part placement to spaz. Cargobay as radiator I think could be done by converting the stock cargobays to use the ModuleDeployableRadiator instead of ModuleAnimateGeneric for the opening anim. I'll probably add another solar panel along with reworking the current one; no promises on what form it will take, though. With the landing leg, my thoughts are to wait until 1.1 comes out to see what the new code offers, and then see what can be done with the leg.

@qm3ster; Sorry about the Pull Request confusion. I released a fixed version because it would be an immeniate fix, rather than wait for a Pull request to go through, but your PR should prevent any similar screwups on my part in the future. The thumbs were removed because I recall they've been noted as a source of issue for CKAN a few times in the thread. Apologies for the inconvenience.

@Helltrooper509; Reinstall the mod; it was just updated to 1.6.06, would should fix the CKAN installing files wrong issue.

@ss8913; The nested file structure is from CKAN having issues with the 1.6.05 version of the mod, due to a packaging error on my part - its been fixed in the new version 1.6.06, as well as the netkan for the mod being updated as well. As for the incompatibility - if its being installed from CKAN, it should be installing the latest version of IFS; my guess is that the nested file structure resulted in two copies of the plugin coming into conflict with each other.

@volcanicshrimp; The AJE patch isn't working again? I may just have to hand it off to someone who actually knows what they're doing when it comes to AJE, it seems. The mod engines are being modified by MM the same way as other engines covered by AJE - ModuleEngineFX* being converted into ModuleEnginesAJEJet, and I just checked, AJE hasn't changed how it implements its modules - so the MM patch should be working like it should; since it isn't, something somewhere must be faulty. Can you post your output_log?

@StahnAileron;The quiztech mod has a service bay that's empty, might be the one you're thinking about. The attach issue is wonkiness on KSP's part, courtesy of how the symmetry attach mode works - free attach mode works fine, but symmetry causes the part placement to spaz. Cargobay as radiator I think could be done by converting the stock cargobays to use the ModuleDeployableRadiator instead of ModuleAnimateGeneric for the opening anim. I'll probably add another solar panel along with reworking the current one; no promises on what form it will take, though. With the landing leg, my thoughts are to wait until 1.1 comes out to see what the new code offers, and then see what can be done with the leg.

@volcanicshrimp; The AJE patch isn't working again? I may just have to hand it off to someone who actually knows what they're doing when it comes to AJE, it seems. The mod engines are being modified by MM the same way as other engines covered by AJE - ModuleEngineFX* being converted into ModuleEnginesAJEJet, and I just checked, AJE hasn't changed how it implements its modules - so the MM patch should be working like it should; since it isn't, something somewhere must be faulty. Can you post your output_log?

Yeah, I've become well aware of the limitations of the editor and how the game handles part attaching. As you mention, I'm hoping 1.1 offers more to both the players and modders. I know wheels/legs will have a completely new module, so there is at least that.

Regarding AJE issues: just wondering, but are you using a NEEDs and/or AFTER node in the MM call? I would think AJE MM edits would happen prior to Mk2Expansion's due to the way MM sorts and prioritizes changes by default. If so, any changes done by the mod's MM core configs that could affect AJE would overwrite the AJE changes. Or something. Not sure.

(After realizing I HAVE THE PATCH in question because I HAVE THE MOD :P)... I do notice you have a :NEEDS[AJE]:AFTER[AJE] on some part and just a NEEDS on other. Maybe it should be AFTER[Mk2Expansion]? (There's also the missing AFTERs.) Dunno. MM confuses sometimes as well. Just throwing stuff out.

Hello, I've recently downloaded this mod and let me start by saying that it is Awesome. But, when I loaded it for the first time, the game couldn't load as it got stuck at loading the RONTGEN engine. This happened several times, and I solved the problem by simply deleting it from the Engines file. Every other part has works just fine and I'm excited to check out how FAR handles with the parts now.

Like I said, I think this mod is great, I'm just bummed that I have to miss out on a part.

Thank you!

So, part requests for the future:

• Mk2 Conformal Fuel Tanks - You know how the Mk2 profile has that nice angling (like what, 15 degrees)? What if you could surface attach fuel tanks to it that sit flush along the hull so it's still aerodynamic? Think USAF F-15E Strike Eagles or the Israeli Air Force F-16I's. Capacity would be like 20%-25% of the same length Standard Mk2 Fuel Tank. The tanks would change the taper angle from 15 degrees (from the horizontal) to 45 degrees. And there would be matching tapered end pieces to maintain a streamlined look. MAYBE have decoupling versions as well.
  • Conformal Air Intake - Like the above, but air intakes. Reminiscent of the F-22A Raptor or F/A-18E/F Super Hornet intakes. (Heck, maybe a whole line of conformal parts ^_^)
  • Radial-Attached Mk2 Inline Stack Structural Parts - Inspired by a couple of parts from one of Nertea's Mods. If you ever wanted to radially attach Mk2 parts to a vessel without playing a spinning game, these would be them. Maybe decoupling versions as well.

... I think I need to start learning how to model and stuff so I can make my own parts...

Edited by StahnAileron
Formatting

@StahnAileron;

• Mk2 Conformal tanks: The slope angle is 30 degrees. My first impression is that these would probably end up looking like scaled up versions of the B9 conformal RCS tanks. Blister tanks would probably be easier and more elegant than trying to clip Oscar-Bs into the hull for minor fuel increases; I'll experiment with the idea, see what works.
  • Radial-Attached Mk2 Inline Stack Structural Parts: You're referring to the NFC radial engine mounts, correct? Would be straightforward to make.

@AJE users; I've got the AJE patch working again.

{
@mass = 0.45
@MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake]
{
@name = AJEInlet
Area = 1.2
#@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/DSI/TPRCurve {}

inletTitle = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/DSI/title$
inletDescription = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/DSI/description$
}
}

@PART[mk2_AeroIntake]:NEEDS[AJE]:AFTER[AJE]
{
@mass = 0.25
{
@name = AJEInlet
Area = 1.65
#@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/FixedCone/TPRCurve {}

inletTitle = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/FixedCone/title$
inletDescription = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/FixedCone/description$
}
}
@PART[M2X_Shockcone]:NEEDS[AJE]:AFTER[AJE]
{
@mass = 0.25
{
@name = AJEInlet
Area = 1.65
#@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/FixedCone/TPRCurve {}

inletTitle = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/FixedCone/title$
inletDescription = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/FixedCone/description$
}
}
@PART[mk2_MantaIntake]:NEEDS[AJE]:AFTER[AJE]
{

{
@name = AJEInlet
Area = 2.1
#@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/AdjustableSupersonic/TPRCurve {}

inletTitle = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/AdjustableSupersonic/title$
inletDescription = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/AdjustableSupersonic/description$
}
}
@PART[M2X_ViperCockpit]:NEEDS[AJE]:AFTER[AJE]
{

{
@name = AJEInlet
Area = 0.6

}
}
@PART[M2X_AtomicJet]:NEEDS[AJE]:AFTER[AJE]
{
//loosely based on the X39 variant J47-GE-25 engine
{
@name = AJEInlet
Area = 0.3

}

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
@name = ModuleEnginesAJEJet
@maxThrust=26.56
Area = 0.232
BPR = 0.0
CPR = 26
FPR = 2.3
Mdes = 0.9
Tdes = 250
eta_c = 0.95
eta_t = 0.98
eta_n = 0.7
FHV = 22500000
TIT = 1500
TAB = 0
exhaustMixer = false
thrustUpperLimit = 150
maxT3 = 1000

defaultTPR = 0.95
dryThrust = 26.56
}
}

@PART[M2X_Jumpjet]:NEEDS[AJE]:AFTER[AJE]
{

{
@name = AJEInlet
Area = 0.16
#@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/PilotTube/TPRCurve {}

inletTitle = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/PilotTube/title$
inletDescription = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/PilotTube/description$
}
@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
@maxThrust=40.3
Area = 0.11
BPR = 6.24
CPR = 20
FPR = 1.5
Mdes = 0.5
Tdes = 270
eta_c = 0.95
eta_t = 0.98
eta_n = 0.9
FHV = 24000000
TIT = 1250
TAB = 0
exhaustMixer = False
adjustableNozzle = False
thrustUpperLimit = 60
maxT3 = 800
intakeMatchArea = True

defaultTPR = 0.95
dryThrust = 40.3
}
}

@PART[Mk2Turbojet]:NEEDS[AJE]
{
/Pratt and Whitney F-199
@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
@maxThrust=155.4
Area = 0.35
BPR = 0.45
CPR = 35
FPR = 3
Mdes = 0.9
Tdes = 250
eta_c = 0.95
eta_t = 0.98
eta_n = 0.7
FHV = 27000000
TIT = 1970
TAB = 2350
exhaustMixer = True
thrustUpperLimit = 250
maxT3 = 1200

defaultTPR = 0.85
dryThrust = 115.7
wetThrust = 155.4
}

}
@PART[M2X_Pegasus]:NEEDS[AJE]
{
//Based on the Bristol BS-53
!MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
{
}

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
Area=0.29
BPR=0.36
CPR=32
FPR=3.8
Mdes=0.9
Tdes=250
eta_c=0.95
eta_t=0.98
eta_n=0.7
FHV=22.5E6
TIT=1620
TAB=0
exhaustMixer=false
maxThrust = 100
maxT3 = 1100
defaultTPR = 0.95
dryThrust = 93.0

}
}
@PART[M2X_Siddeley]:NEEDS[AJE]
{
//Based on the Bristol BS-53
!MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
{
}

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
Area=0.29
BPR=0.36
CPR=32
FPR=3.8
Mdes=0.9
Tdes=250
eta_c=0.95
eta_t=0.98
eta_n=0.7
FHV=22.5E6
TIT=1620
TAB=0
exhaustMixer=false
maxThrust = 100
maxT3 = 1100
defaultTPR = 0.95
dryThrust = 93.0

}
}
@PART[Mk2VTOLFuselage]:NEEDS[AJE]
{

!MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
{
}

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
Area=0.4
BPR=0.36
CPR=32
FPR=3.8
Mdes=0.9
Tdes=250
eta_c=0.95
eta_t=0.98
eta_n=0.7
FHV=22.5E6
TIT=1620
TAB=0
exhaustMixer=false
maxThrust = 170
maxT3 = 1100
}
}
@PART[Mk2VTOLJET]:NEEDS[AJE]
{

!MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
{
}

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
Area=0.4
BPR=0.36
CPR=32
FPR=3.8
Mdes=0.9
Tdes=250
eta_c=0.95
eta_t=0.98
eta_n=0.7
FHV=22.5E6
TIT=1620
TAB=0
exhaustMixer=false
maxThrust = 170
maxT3 = 1100
}
}
@PART[Mk2Ramjet]:NEEDS[AJE]
{
//Fictional ramjet drawing from the J-58
@title = H-07 "Afterburn" Ramjet Engine
@mass = 0.8
%CoMOffset = 0, 1.5, 0
@description = A highly advanced ramjet engine using space-grade materials for very high performance. Built for the blazing fast speeds Mk2 spaceplanes deserve, this engine is designed to operate best at higher altitudes and speeds; it will not produce thrust under mach 0.3!

!MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
{
}

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
@maxThrust = 1000
@useEngineResponseTime = False

Area = 0.45
BPR = 0
CPR = 1
FPR = 0
Mdes = 0.9
Tdes = 250
eta_c = 0.95
eta_t = 0.98
eta_n = 0.9
FHV = 28000000
TIT = 1800
TAB = 2250
exhaustMixer = True
adjustableNozzle = true
thrustUpperLimit = 1000
maxT3 = 1200
dryThrust = 110
drySFC = 0.8
wetSFC = 1.9
wetThrust = 150.7
}
}

@PART[ESTOC]:NEEDS[AJE]
{
//Fictional dual-cycle engine using stats borrowed from the RAPIER config
@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[#engineID[AirBreathing]]
{

Area = 0.75
BPR = 0
CPR = 12
FPR = 0
Mdes = 1
Tdes = 280
eta_c = 0.95
eta_t = 0.98
eta_n = 0.9
FHV = 36000000
TIT = 900
TAB = 3800
exhaustMixer = True
thrustUpperLimit = 550
maxT3 = 2000

areaFudgeFactor = 1.0
defaultTPR = 0.85
}
}

@PART[MATTOCK]:NEEDS[AJE]
{
//Fictional dual-cycle engine using stats borrowed from the RAPIER config
@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[#engineID[AirBreathing]]
{

Area = 0.9
BPR = 0
CPR = 12
FPR = 0
Mdes = 1
Tdes = 280
eta_c = 0.95
eta_t = 0.98
eta_n = 0.9
FHV = 36000000
TIT = 900
TAB = 3800
exhaustMixer = True
maxThrust = 700
maxT3 = 2000
areaFudgeFactor = 1.0
defaultTPR = 0.85
}

}

@PART[M2X_Turbofan]:NEEDS[AJE]:AFTER[AJE]
{
//performance somewhere between the Turbo-Union RB199 and Volvo RM8
@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
Area=0.35
BPR=0.39
CPR=32
FPR=2.8
Mdes=0.9
Tdes=250
eta_c=0.95
eta_t=0.98
eta_n=0.7
FHV=22.5E6
TIT=1250
TAB=1750
exhaustMixer=true
maxThrust = 91.26
maxT3 = 1100

defaultTPR = 0.95
dryThrust = 55.26
wetThrust = 91.26
}
}

@PART[mk2_InlineIntake]:NEEDS[AJE]:AFTER[AJE]

Open up the AJE patch and select all, then overwrite the contents with the above code. Alternatively, simply delete the old patch and copy the above code into a new .cfg.

Edited by SuicidalInsanity

@FungusForge; I suppose - it wouldn't take much time to whip up some sort of Universal Frame System prototype - but at present I would prefer not to; While I have considerably expanded what can be done with mk2 parts, I'm not trying to claim a monopoly on that formfactor, and I welcome the efforts of others to continue to expand it even further. PortalGunner seems to be taking a stab at it; I'd be willing to offer models or assistance if he requests it, but I'm not going to step in and take over his project.

@AJE users; I've got the AJE patch working again.

Open up the AJE patch and select all, then overwrite the contents with the above code. Alternatively, simply delete the old patch and copy the above code into a new .cfg.

There's an error: M2X_AtomicJet has dryThrust and wetThrust set to the same thing, which will cause unexpected behavior. But AJE wasn't really designed to handle atomic jets, so it might be worth just removing that patch entirely. But in general, a note on those parameters, if you're interested:

dryThrust, drySFC, and wetThrust are used by a fitting routine to set Area, FHV, and TAB respectively. This means that you can make sure the (static) thrust and efficiency hit certain values.

@Blowfish: I don't know what half of those variables are. Given the the issues the Mk2Expansion AJE patch has had, and that AJE ships with MM patches for most of the other aircraft mods out there, would it make sense to hand over the mk2Expansion patch and have it maintained on AJE's end rather than Mk2Expansion's and add it into AJE's collection of mod patches?