[1.12.x] Mk2 Expansion v1.9.1 [update 10/5/21]

On 4/7/2016 at 1:24 AM, SuicidalInsanity said:

@Geschosskopf: Nice plane!

Thanks.  I found a nit to pic...

J.Edgar and Action Groups
When you go to assign some J.Edgar function to an action group, you see "Toggle Intake" listed twice in succession.  The 1st one should really be "Toggle Orientation" because it flips the engine between vertical and horizontal modes (although that might also toggle the intake by hiding it inside...).

EDIT:  Note that the right-click menu has the orientation button correctly labeled.  It's only on the list of actions when you're editing an action group with the J.Edgar selected that you see "Toggle intake" twice.

Edited by Geschosskopf

@Geschosskopf: Engine orientation toggle in the Action Group menu is 'Toggle Engine Mode'. The two 'Toggle Intake' options only toggle the intake. and the reason there are two 'Toggle Intake' buttons is the blanket MM patch that gives all air intakes the ability to take in IntakeAtm as well as IntakeAir so non-O2 airbreathing engines can function.

@robson1000: A number of Mk2 Expansion parts are dependent on the Interstellar Fuel Switch plugin; it looks like you don't have it installed.

Hi SI, just wanted to say great mod working good so far with 1.1 just a small graphical issue I found.

I built a mk2 plane and either side of the mk2 Service tank there is a very small gap between that and the other parts of the ship.

(the connection faces with the nodes)

I only noticed it when I was in space and saw the gap admiring my ship sideways against the horizon. I hopped back into the SPH and lo and behold there was the small gap still big enough to let the light through.

I know its only superficial but still OCD in me had to let you know.

loving the mod once again! thanks :-)

I love the parts its its just what i wanted for my mainly planes career. 

I was wondering if you plan to create a config for the Engineering tech tree? or if that would be more the Tech tree authors job? or mabye mine, i would be happy to create a cfg if it were to be added to Ether pack.

Thanks again for the mod awesome job.

Edited by joebopie

Could someone tell me how to use the Hyperblast scramjet? I tried jumpstarting it via pushing the plane up to 22km and using two Whiplash ramjets to speed it up to 1.2km/s but the scramjet gives only 9.8kN of thrust and it can't keep accelerating to increase the scramjet's thrust further.

I'm not sure if this is intended behaviour, but I can't get the Afterburn Turbo Ramjet past mach 1. The thrust caps out at 250 kN at around 300ish mps. Also, the Hyperblast scramjet's thrust caps out at 9 .8 kN of thrust

@joebopie: I'm unfamiliar with the Engineering tech tree, so maybe, maybe not. But if you're willing to make a config, I'll include it with the other MM mod compatibility patches once I get them straightened out.

@aniron: not at present, no

@pocok5: Hyperblast max thrust is tied to craft speed. if you're getting only 9.8kN of thrust, it means you're only going around 1200m/s, and for the scramjet, 1200m/s is a bit slow. It's fast enough for it to activate, but the scramjet won't start producing appreciable thrust until about 1500-1600m/s. With careful piloting Afterburns and/or Whiplashes can get you that fast; a more brute force approach would be to use something like an ESTOC/RAPIER/Sledgehammer to get up to speed until the scramjet can take over.

@aircad: At present, the Afterburn has a bit flatter velcurve than the Whiplash; heavier craft may need a shallow dive to break the sound barrier. I'll be buffing its sub-mach performance in the near future

@CatastrophicFailure: Yes; the landing leg is a known issue - the 1.1 changes to wheels/landing legs broke the leg. For now its been converted to ModuleAnimateGeneric, which allows it to be a technically functional placeholder until I can figure out how to rework it.

@SuicidalInsanity Hey man, love the pack, but I was curious if you would be interested in doing Mk0 form factor parts as another mod. You did awesome with this and your others, I think you'd do great with those too. Mk0 doesn't get enough love, but small parts are fun to use, especially on planes. (Yeah, I could use tweakscale but I dont like that mod.)

On April 19, 2016 at 5:57 PM, SuicidalInsanity said:

@pocok5: Hyperblast max thrust is tied to craft speed. if you're getting only 9.8kN of thrust, it means you're only going around 1200m/s, and for the scramjet, 1200m/s is a bit slow. It's fast enough for it to activate, but the scramjet won't start producing appreciable thrust until about 1500-1600m/s. With careful piloting Afterburns and/or Whiplashes can get you that fast; a more brute force approach would be to use something like an ESTOC/RAPIER/Sledgehammer to get up to speed until the scramjet can take over.

I can't figure it out either... I mean, I've done it, but only by using rockets (and usually infinite fuel) to get my plane up to speed. Without cheating, if I'm at normal air-breathing altitudes ( < 22ish km), 1500 ms will quickly cause my nose to overheat & explode the cockpit. By the time I'm high enough to go fast enough and survive the atmospheric heating (around 30 km), every other air-breathing engine I've tried has flamed out from lack of oxygen.

Is there some mod you're using to give you parts which can withstand skin temps in excess of 2500 K? The only time I've achieved prolonged significant thrust from the Hyperblast engines, I had to use an inline cockpit with just a blunt heat shield on the front (and two rockets w/ infinite fuel to overcome the drag on the way to 1500 m/s).

FWIW, I'm using 3x Mk2 Pre-Coolers and 2x Mk2 Shock Cones for air intakes.

Edited by TheOtherDave

@kolagp: Huh, could have sworn it allowed connections in the editor. I'll take a look at it.

@Gnoyze: Never really thought about doing Mk0 stuff, and I'm not sure where I'd begin. Once I get my current stuff updated for 1.1, I'll consider it

@TheOtherdave: No mods, my standard ascent with the scramjet mirrors regular SSTOs, bring it up to around 1500 m/s @18000-19000m, and then slowly climb from there as the scramjet spools up. For heat issues, take a look at the M2X Hyberblast example ship - one probably non-intuitive aspect to using the scramjet is heat mitigation must be factored into the craft design; unlike standard SSTOs that quickly leave 1500m/s 22km alt when switching to rockets, scramjet craft have to linger there, which is why the Hyperblast example ship is designed the way it is

Hey, Love the mod, imaginations blown up with it.

I find myself in need of an extra part, if you would build please :) 

A right angle connector, like the 3 and 4, but 2. 

Pretty Please

Hello
KSP 1230 x64 test with Mk2_Stockalike_Expansion-1.7.03

M2X_RadialLeg generate NRE

Spoiler

[LOG 20:31:42.555] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Mk2Expansion/Parts/Utility/LandingLeg/part/M2X_RadialLeg'
[EXC 20:31:42.564] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ModuleWheels.ModuleWheelSubmodule.OnAwake ()
    PartModule.Awake ()
    UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
    Part:AddModule(String)
    Part:AddModule(ConfigNode)
    PartLoader:ParsePart(UrlConfig, ConfigNode)
    <CompileParts>c__Iterator4A:MoveNext()
[ERR 20:31:42.569] [ModuleWheelSubmodule]: Module at index 0 is not a ModuleWheelBase type

[LOG 20:31:42.570] PartLoader: Part 'Mk2Expansion/Parts/Utility/LandingLeg/part/M2X_RadialLeg' has no database record. Creating.
[ERR 20:31:42.574] [ModuleWheelSubmodule]: Module at index 0 is not a ModuleWheelBase type

[LOG 20:31:42.575] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'M2X.RadialLeg'

Salute

On 21.04.2016 at 10:10 PM, TheOtherDave said:

I can't figure it out either... I mean, I've done it, but only by using rockets (and usually infinite fuel) to get my plane up to speed. Without cheating, if I'm at normal air-breathing altitudes ( < 22ish km), 1500 ms will quickly cause my nose to overheat & explode the cockpit. By the time I'm high enough to go fast enough and survive the atmospheric heating (around 30 km), every other air-breathing engine I've tried has flamed out from lack of oxygen.

I did it with two RAPIERs and standard mk2 cockpit. The key was to be at 28km, keeping steady ~1300 m/s and then pitching up and slowly accelerating keeping overheat at ~95%. Disabled RAPIERS auto-switching and did it manually when the combined thrust from all engines droped to ~60. At 30km altitude RAPIERS in rocket mode will pass Mach 4.5 mark very quickly and after that the scramjet can fly on it's own. Stock parts + FAR.

While doing Mach 5 in very thin atmosphere it has insane acceleration. At 38km I had to throttle down to 5% and it was still gaining speed. Full throttle it passed Mach 8 and gave me ~2000 km Ap and then cockpit overheated. Description says it has max thrust at Mach 12 but I can't find any conditions to test it (at least not on Kerbin). Flied faster then Mach 8 and it overheated, flied higher then 38700m and it flame-out.

@valis: It would take something like 5 minutes to make, so sure, I can add one

@Blacks: Known issue, landing leg is being reworked.

@toric5: Fission parts were going to get MM patches for NFE compatibility if nothing else. I'm not very familiar with KerbalAtomics, though. By 'same reactor system' do you mean converting them to use LH2? Adding Ox afterburner capability? Power generation when not burning? All of the above?

Edit: Currently on the list for MM patches are all the mods that previously had MM compatibility patches, plus KA in some form. @Everyone - are there any other mods I should be aware of that M2X could use MM patches for?

Edited by SuicidalInsanity

On 4/24/2016 at 8:18 PM, SuicidalInsanity said:

@valis: It would take something like 5 minutes to make, so sure, I can add one

@toric5: Fission parts were going to get MM patches for NFE compatibility if nothing else. I'm not very familiar with KerbalAtomics, though. By 'same reactor system' do you mean converting them to use LH2? Adding Ox afterburner capability? Power generation when not burning? All of the above?

Edit: Currently on the list for MM patches are all the mods that previously had MM compatibility patches, plus KA in some form. @Everyone - are there any other mods I should be aware of that M2X could use MM patches for?

kerbal atomics has a system where ne nucular engines are actually reactors that require uranium. this would, for example, mean that the nucular jet engine would probably have a flight time of 3 or 4 days, instead of infinite flight time. (this also means that most of them can genrate power.) that and LH2.

essentialy, nereta makes his parts and the stock ntr use his nuke code. along with using LH2, would you be able to add that to the two nuke engines in you expantion?

Edited by toric5

@ThePixeledFox: I haven't done anything to the engines; are you sure it is not a tweakscale issue?

Update 1.7.05 is up, Changelog:

Spoiler

Version 1.7.05
===============================================================
-re-added mod compatibility MM patches
-Tweaked Afterburn VelCurve: should be a bit better at sub-mach
-tweaked hyperblast velcurve: reduced speed needed for effective thrust production
-tweaked Pluto engine FX
-added radiator functionality to Pluto NTR
-added radiator functionality to Nuk-3 fission reactor
-Model rework: shrouded landing leg
=NOTE: Leg functional, but still somewhat wonky in some orientations due to 1.1 wheel/leg physics
-New Part:Right angle L hub