[1.12.x] Mk2 Expansion v1.9.1 [update 10/5/21]

Just tried it again. I don't know if the reactor is spooling up or not, I can't tell. Still no thrust after more than 15mins of waiting. I threw some nervs on my ssto to test if they had the same issue.. They produce thrust and do not have reactors on them. 

Another thing that seems off that may be related is that the info for the reactor in the context menu is all blank. This doesn't happen on the near future electric reactors or the USI reactors by rover dude. It seems specific to your reactors, so this is likely going to point us to the cause of the problem. Can you install NFE, if you don't have it, and test it yourself please? Should I post on nertia's thread for support?

screenshot1.png

Edit: While I am posting here, I might as well make some suggestions that come to mind every time I use your parts. 

Can you please add attachment nodes to the interior of the service bay, so that it is like a 1/4 size cargo bay? I like the size of it for a battery bank, but like to have more options than the included batteries. 

Can you add fuel and fuel switcher options to the mk2 tail connector like the spade tail has? 

Can you add fuel switcher options to the stock mk2 liquid fuel tanks like the rocket fuel tanks have but also include the options the service tank has like mono and xenon? The textures on the mono and service tanks bug the crap out of me (yellow lines). I feel like the stick out like a sore thumb on my crafts lol. I guess I am being too much of a perfectionist, because even the rocket fuel tanks black lines make me wince some times.

I get the impression adding fuel switcher options isn't very hard. I will probably do it myself, but I hate to have to redo it every time you update. Maybe if I get around to it before you do, you can over look my work and include it in the next update.

Also while I am posting here, I might as well say thank you for all of your hard work! I really enjoy your mod! Sincerely, Thank you for sharing your work and supporting it.

Edited by Mr_Breeze
added suggestions

@OrbitalBuzzsaw; Pluto uses LF by default, LH2 conversion only happens if Kerbal Atomics/NFE is installed.

@Mr_Breeze: It's working fine on my end:
eTC42dv.png

2 things of note when using NFE. First, for whatever reason, NTRs will not produce thrust if the reactor is off, regardless how much core heat is available for thrust generation. Second, Reactors will not display stats if the reactor/engines ar activated via action menu buttons; engine needs to be activated via staging for stats to appear.

-Service bay attach nodes are probably not going to happen, unless there's some way of toggling nodes when mesh switching.
-Tail boom IFS config is reasonable enough, consider it done.
-Xe/Mp tank options for stock Mk2 parts is already done by the full version of Interstellar Fuel Switch. If you want stock Mk2 tanks that function like the Service tank with LF/O/MP storage, Modular Fuel Tanks allows custom tank setups

17 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

2 things of note when using NFE. First, for whatever reason, NTRs will not produce thrust if the reactor is off, regardless how much core heat is available for thrust generation. Second, Reactors will not display stats if the reactor/engines ar activated via action menu buttons; engine needs to be activated via staging for stats to appear.

-Service bay attach nodes are probably not going to happen, unless there's some way of toggling nodes when mesh switching.
-Tail boom IFS config is reasonable enough, consider it done.
-Xe/Mp tank options for stock Mk2 parts is already done by the full version of Interstellar Fuel Switch. If you want stock Mk2 tanks that function like the Service tank with LF/O/MP storage, Modular Fuel Tanks allows custom tank setups

Didn't know they had to be activated via staging, this was not true for the NF or USI engines. They worked fine through action menu activation. I will test this right away, and see if this solves the problem.

B9 part switcher has node switching. I could not find anything about IFS supporting node switching.

Thanks for the tail boom config!

I thought MFT was incompatible with IFS, so I haven't tried installed it on this play through. I have used it in the past though. I will d/l and try it out.

Thanks again for the support!

Edit: Activation through staging was the issue.. I just want to reiterate that other atomic engines do not have this issue with NFE, and add that other users are likely to run into the same issue. If you don't intend to find a solution, I suggest you add it to the OP in a FAQ. 

Edited by Mr_Breeze
update

5 hours ago, Mr_Breeze said:

Edit: Activation through staging was the issue.. I just want to reiterate that other atomic engines do not have this issue with NFE, and add that other users are likely to run into the same issue. If you don't intend to find a solution, I suggest you add it to the OP in a FAQ.

Cannot confirm; which NFE engines were you using?. Testing the issue on a minimally modded copy of KSP with a freshly downloaded copy of NFE (0.7.4) with the Pluto, Rontgen, Nerv, and various Kerbal Atomics engines all using NFE NTR configs, I got the same result with all of them; the engines would only properly start when staged, action menu nor action groups yielded engine activation sans thrust, reactor stats. Followup tests with a freshly downloaded copy of KSP with only NFE and Kerbal Atomics + dependencies installed gave the same result.
fKudlw2.png

Edited by SuicidalInsanity

On 5/29/2016 at 0:19 AM, SuicidalInsanity said:

Cannot confirm; which NFE engines were you using?...

I can't really tell at this point. It appears I have broken something.. The only atomic engine with a reactor in it now, oddly, is yours.. 

AS-1.jpg

Let me figure out what happened there, and get back with you. 

Edit: Still haven't figured out what happened to my reactors.. but Nertea responded to your question, and his answer agrees with yours. I apologize for wasting your time. Having you chasing my problem, which was caused by my not being fully aware of the functions of the mods I have installed. 

Edited by Mr_Breeze
update

Yeah, reinstalled both, then reinstalled all of my mods.. no luck. I don't really care if my atomic engines have reactors, I don't. It just worries me that something else may be broken that isn't so obvious.

I think I may have found an issue that is actually caused by Mk2X. Have you ever tried front facing spade tails? It breaks physics on the runway. As soon as the wheels hit the ground, the front gear lifts off of the ground. The plane then slowly increases pitch until around 90 degrees. Then it starts levitating into the sky. Engines will not propel the craft forward, even though the are generating thrust. The only thing that appears to have any control over the vessel is SAS. Reverting to the VAB and removing the spade tails returns everything to normal.

screenshot0.png

I made it to 100m in the time it took to write this post.

screenshot2.png

Edited by Mr_Breeze

@Mr_Breeze: Craft file and modlist?

I ran a series of tests with forward spadetails on a clean copy of KSP (Squad+Mk2Expansion, InterstellarFuelSwitch, CommunityResourcePack, ModuleManager 2.6.25) with forward spadetails in various configurations and placements, as well as a replica of your craft (except with stock wings); I was unable to replicate the physics break. x0WiU6t.png

It's possible some other mod isn't playing nice with them, but by themselves I'm fairly certain forward spadetails aren't the problem.

@xD-FireStriker: 1.7.XX is for 1.1. For 1.05 you'll either want 1.6.11, which was the latest 'official' KSP 1.05 release, or 1.7.01-pre, which was the 1.7 WIP development prerelease I released during the long wait for 1.1. Both versions can be grabbed from the github repo (link in OP). Prerelease contains most of the new stuff found in the 1.1 updates, but expect the occasional bug from things like the AASRBS; check the changelogs for more information.

21 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

It's possible some other mod isn't playing nice with them, but by themselves I'm fairly certain forward spadetails aren't the problem.

Since you can't reproduce it, you're probably right.. how should I send my craft file and mod list?

You can just post a list of the mods in your Gamedata here or in a PM; For the craft file upload the craft somewhere, either on KerbalX or something like dropbox or some other file sharing site, and post the link. Alternatively you could copy the contents of the craft file (open it with notepad/equivalent, KerbalSpaceProgram/Saves/YourSaveGame/SPH/Craftname) and and paste in the code as a reply (If you do this, please do it in a PM, not the thread).

5 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

@xD-FireStriker: 1.7.XX is for 1.1. For 1.05 you'll either want 1.6.11, which was the latest 'official' KSP 1.05 release, or 1.7.01-pre, which was the 1.7 WIP development prerelease I released during the long wait for 1.1. Both versions can be grabbed from the github repo (link in OP). Prerelease contains most of the new stuff found in the 1.1 updates, but expect the occasional bug from things like the AASRBS; check the changelogs for more information.

thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

So, I really, really, really LOVE this mod. But one thing bugs me. And that's that certain cockpits have sub-optimal placement of the RPM displays. The problem is that they are placed too far down, meaning that you either have to zoom out to see the whole thing (which makes reading it or making out details quite difficult), or, depending on the severity of the problem, either not use the display, or only see part of it. The fish head and the bubble cockpits have the most severe occurrence of the problem, but its also quite noticeable in the hypersonic cockpit. The other cockpits don't seem to have this problem.

M2X update 1.7.12 is up in the usual places, which mainly fixes various RPM/ASET IVA config issues

@Grenartia: Some of the problem you describe stems from making a compromise between visibility and instrumentation space - I wanted IVAs you could see the runway from, which meant moving instrument panels down or going for smaller displays to get them to fit; in some cases this does require tilting the camera down a little to see the displays. Given the limited instrument space available, though, I can't really make the displays any bigger unless I remodel the IVAs, which would be a time consuming endeavor I don't have time for. Not sure what to say about the fishhead cockpit, since it doesn't have an RPM IVA config, but the current IVA setup means that I probably will need to rework/remodel it at some point.

On 6/18/2016 at 11:06 PM, SuicidalInsanity said:

M2X update 1.7.12 is up in the usual places

I'm getting a 404 on Spacedock after clicking Download, and http://cdn.spacedock.info/SuicidalInsanity_1925/Mk2_Stockalike_Expansion/ indeed doesn't list the zip file for .12. Is there a chance you could re-upload it or something? CKAN uses it too.

Anyway, great mod; it's both beautiful and complete.

Is it just SpaceDock, or is the Github alt DL also not working as well? The link is working on my end, and the info page you linked is showing 1.7.12 along with the others. Do you have any anti-virus/firewall type stuff that might be blocking the download?

1 hour ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

Is it just SpaceDock, or is the Github alt DL also not working as well? The link is working on my end, and the info page you linked is showing 1.7.12 along with the others. Do you have any anti-virus/firewall type stuff that might be blocking the download?

The github download works fine. I think the SpaceDock CDN isn't properly synced or something like that, as it does work from my server in another country (and so, presumably, getting directed to a different CDN end point). http://imgur.com/a/LdMku is what I see locally.

I guess I'll have to take this up with the Spaceport people... sorry to bother!

Edited by macTijn
forgot a word

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...