[1.12.x] Mk2 Expansion v1.9.1 [update 10/5/21]

Anyone else having a strange issue with some of these parts under FAR?

Their cross-sectional area isn't working right.

http://puu.sh/jH66I/995c7955c7.jpg

There may be other parts than this with issues, but I've pruned a lot of the pack out since they're parts I won't use.

I've tried using MM to force these three parts to use both their visual models and their colliders, but neither option seems to have an effect.

Looking at the debug voxels, for some reason FAR is seeing the low-area regions as hollow. It sees the skin but not the inside. On the dropship cockpit, for instance, the glass area is filled with debug voxels, then it's hollow the rest of the way back:

http://puu.sh/jH98E/0d2d9012c4.jpg

The same partial filling, mostly hollow can be seen on the other two parts as well.

As you can imagine this creates quite a lot of transonic drag.

@Reiver; Hi-PEP vs Hall thruster would be the main reason, but yeah, I can see tweaking the ion engine stats some come next update. The turborocket is an interesting concept - its a rocket with high isp that only works in atmospheres? What sort of isp would it have, though?

@TheHengeProphet; I will probably tweak the model slightly in the name of aerodynamics. Another idea I'm mulling over is making a sort of bonus pack of alternative cockpit models that a user could choose to install and use instead (or in addition to with some simple cfg edits) for some variety.

@ABZB; oops - good catch, will fix.

@hynung; There is the minor problem of no mk2 LH2 tanks, unless a second MM patch were written to add LH2 fuel switch capability to parts.

@Rybec; That's strange, I'll have to look into the models. Most of them use a single collider, although some use multiple mesh objects for texture reasons - the dropship cockpit in the second image does use two colliders due to its shape - Does anyone know how FAR goes about its voxel calculation; is it based on mesh or collider?

Far's voxels can work from either/both. It's possible to force it to use one or the other through an MM patch but unless I setup the patch wrong, it made no difference if I set it to visual mesh or colliders. You may want to contact Ferram directly.

Interstellar Fuel Switch makes the stock Mk2 fuel tanks switchable. Nertea uses that to make configs for his Cryo Engines mod.

My mod will add LqdHydrogen, among various other resources, via fuel switch if at least Interstellar Fuel switch and Community Resource Pack are installed. (the other stuff only activates if WarpPlugin is installed).

My mod will add LqdHydrogen, among various other resources, via fuel switch if at least Interstellar Fuel switch and Community Resource Pack are installed. (the other stuff only activates if WarpPlugin is installed).

Okay, I'll try that. Thanks.:)

Could you let me know if that worked? I myself have a lot of other stuff installed, I have not tested that configuration myself.

Nah, it erred. :D Based on what I'm reading in the configs, it looks for WarpPlugin folder before it decides to run itself. Nothing is changed.

FYI, I have no KSPI-E installed. I'm using Nertea's NFT.

Any good suggestions for mounting the radiator panels for the reactor? The stock radiators are not very aerodynamic.

Also, the collider meshes for the reactor and service bay seem a bit buggy. I have a really hard time mounting parts inside the service bay, and the reactor seems to behave like there's an invisible sphere on the top where the nuke symbol is.

Anyone else having a strange issue with some of these parts under FAR?

Their cross-sectional area isn't working right.

http://puu.sh/jH66I/995c7955c7.jpg

There may be other parts than this with issues, but I've pruned a lot of the pack out since they're parts I won't use.

I've tried using MM to force these three parts to use both their visual models and their colliders, but neither option seems to have an effect.

Looking at the debug voxels, for some reason FAR is seeing the low-area regions as hollow. It sees the skin but not the inside. On the dropship cockpit, for instance, the glass area is filled with debug voxels, then it's hollow the rest of the way back:

http://puu.sh/jH98E/0d2d9012c4.jpg

The same partial filling, mostly hollow can be seen on the other two parts as well.

As you can imagine this creates quite a lot of transonic drag.

Are you sure this isn't involved with intake ducting?

@TheHengeProphet; I will probably tweak the model slightly in the name of aerodynamics. Another idea I'm mulling over is making a sort of bonus pack of alternative cockpit models that a user could choose to install and use instead (or in addition to with some simple cfg edits) for some variety.

That would be pretty cool!

Question: I noticed this mod becomes a drag nightmare under AJE. I was asking about it over there and got this reply:

I recall briefly looking at the Mk2 expansion configs a little while ago and determining that they are not compatible with current versions of AJE. Specifically they add AJEModule and AJEInlet modules rather than changing the name of ModuleEnginesFX and ModuleResourceIntake which is now the correct way to do it.

Thoughts on updating the compatibility?

@bonesbro;With radiators, you could either go for Nertea's HeatControl mod, winch adds radial aerodynamic radiators, or try sticking them inside a service bay.

In regards to the service bay and reactor colliders, the reactor colliders are being fixed along with the FAR issue some of the parts have, expect a hotfix up in a little bit. The service bay is weird, due to its shape - placing parts with symmetry on has issues, but works fine with symmetry off

@TheHengeProphet; The AJE patch was a kludge job from day one, so I'm not surprised - I'll see about updating the MM patch.

The game gets stuck loading the reactor. In the log file, at the end, I found this:

[LOG 20:51:35.488] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Mk2Expansion/Parts/Utility/Reactor/part/M2X_Reactor_Tokamak'

[LOG 20:51:35.545] PartLoader: Part 'Mk2Expansion/Parts/Utility/Reactor/part/M2X_Reactor_Tokamak' has no database record. Creating.

[LOG 20:51:35.570] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'M2X.Reactor.Tokamak'

[EXC 20:51:35.609] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

NearFutureElectrical.FissionReactor.GetInfo ()

PartLoader.CompilePartInfo (.AvailablePart newPartInfo, .Part part)

PartLoader+.MoveNext ()

If I am not being stupid, and this isn't an error on my part, then how can I fix it?

@Vectura: That sounds like an error with the M2X KSPI mod, as the base Mk2 Expansion doesn't include a 'M2X_Reactor_Tokomak' part. As to how to fix, It looks like the NFE compatibility patch is conflicting with the KSPI integration mod - try removing the Mk2X_NFE_Functionality.cfg MM patch from the GameData/Mk2Expansion/patches folder

Also, a Hotfix for version 1.5 is now up on KerbalStuff, and should fix the issues people have been having with FAR/AJE

Version !.5.1

======================

Version 1.5 hotfix

-reactor colliders fixed, Ladder now works

-Typo corrected in 'Spirit' ion engine cfg

-Several parts tweaked, FAR voxelization should now work correctly

-AJE MM patch updated to work with latest AJE version

Found a small bug with the packaging of this mod. Doesn't cause any problems that I'm aware of, so it's low priority.

The version of ModuleManager included in this package is out of date.

Version included: 2.6.5

Current version: 2.6.7

As far as I know, it won't cause any problems because MM checks its own version and only uses one copy of the newest version it finds.

It is still a good idea to keep all the included plugins up-to-date. At least that way you don't have to figure out if it's the out of date plugin or your own mod that's causing bugs, if there are any.

Edited by SciMan

The game gets stuck loading the reactor. In the log file, at the end, I found this:

[LOG 20:51:35.488] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Mk2Expansion/Parts/Utility/Reactor/part/M2X_Reactor_Tokamak'

[LOG 20:51:35.545] PartLoader: Part 'Mk2Expansion/Parts/Utility/Reactor/part/M2X_Reactor_Tokamak' has no database record. Creating.

[LOG 20:51:35.570] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'M2X.Reactor.Tokamak'

[EXC 20:51:35.609] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

NearFutureElectrical.FissionReactor.GetInfo ()

PartLoader.CompilePartInfo (.AvailablePart newPartInfo, .Part part)

PartLoader+.MoveNext ()

If I am not being stupid, and this isn't an error on my part, then how can I fix it?

Could I check what version of my patch you have installed? That should have been fixed as of several versions ago... If it is a current one I will take further measures to fix the conflict.

For some reason the module manager doesn't want to load the game past the RONTGEN atomic engine, not sure why. I'm using version 2.6.5 of the module manager and the most recent version of the mod any ideas what's causing it to hang indefinitely?

EDIT: Switched to the latest version of the module manager still stopping there.

Edited by King_komodo93

For some reason the module manager doesn't want to load the game past the RONTGEN atomic engine, not sure why. I'm using version 2.6.5 of the module manager and the most recent version of the mod any ideas what's causing it to hang indefinitely?

EDIT: Switched to the latest version of the module manager still stopping there?

Are you running the game through the Steam shortcut? Try going to the install folder and running KSP.exe and see if that works better.

While that explains the pressure spike near the canopy, the length of the nose appeared to mitigate that. I'll need to investigate this further. It makes sense that FAR might think it hollow, considering that there is no canopy on that model displayed in the part selection menu; however, the debug voxels in FAR seemed to acknowledge it was there.