[1.12.x] Mk2 Expansion v1.9.1 [update 10/5/21]

@amarius1 @SuicidalInsanity I use CCK patches to rearrange my parts menu. Below are the chunks dealing with Mk2 and Mk3 parts.  Air breathing engines get their own category. All together, I've added 13 categories to the VAB part menu on top of the categories CCK adds by default.

Spoiler

//****************************************************************************
// Make use of Community Category Kit to define new categories to declutter
// and rearrange parts menu. Idea is to try to isolate a category to parts with
// similar functions to reduce size of enormous categories (like fuel tanks)
// and try to keep categories small enough to limit scrolling. Utility is not 
// catch all for lack of thinking things out. 
//
// Order here affects menu order, first defined become bottom of list, but
// before hardwired CCK items
//****************************************************************************
@CCKExtraFilterConfig:FINAL
{
    Item
    {
	name = Mk3 Parts
	tag = cck-mk3
	normalIcon = Squad/PartList/SimpleIcons/cs_mk3
	usedByMod = Any parts with Mk3 Cross Section
    }
    Item
    {
	name = Mk2 Parts
	tag = cck-mk2
	normalIcon = Squad/PartList/SimpleIcons/cs_mk2
	usedByMod = Any parts with Mk2 Cross Section
    }
    Item
    {
	name = Air Breathing Engines
	tag = cck-airbreather
	normalIcon = Squad/PartList/SimpleIcons/R&D_node_icon_heavyaerodynamics
	usedByMod = Any part with airbreathing engines or intakes
    }
}
// ***************************************************************************
// 
// Rearrange categories for mod parts when they aren't showing in the parts 
// tree at all, delete category if it's being placed in both a default
// category and a CCK category, OR just change category to declutter menus
//
// ***************************************************************************
//
// Mk2 Form factor parts
@PART[*]:HAS[#bulkheadProfiles[*mk2*]]:NEEDS[Mk2Expansion]:FINAL
{
    @category = none
    %tags = cck-mk2
}
@PART[M2X_*Chine*]:NEEDS[Mk2Expansion]:FINAL
{
    @category = none
    %tags = cck-mk2
}
// Mk3 Form Factor Parts
@PART[*]:HAS[#bulkheadProfiles[*mk3*]]:NEEDS[Mk2Expansion]:FINAL
{
    @category = none
    %tags = cck-mk3
}
@PART[M3X_*Chine]:NEEDS[Mk2Expansion]:FINAL
{
    @category = none
    %tags = cck-mk3
}
// M3X Saddle Crew Compartment erroneously listed as a mk2 part, make sure other saddle parts are in Mk3
@PART[M3X_AdapterSegment,M3X_RCSCap,M3X_CrewSegment,M3X_EndSegment,M3X_IntakeSegment,M3X_LongSegment,M3X_AttachSegment,M3X_RCSSegment,M3X_ShortSegment]:NEEDS[Mk3Expansion]:FINAL
{
    @category = none
    %tags = cck-mk3
}
// Air breather parts - Intakes and Jet Engines (All form factors)
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngine*]:HAS[@PROPELLANT[IntakeAir]]]:FINAL
{
    %category = none
    %tags = cck-airbreather
}

5 hours ago, amarius1 said:

can you please make a custom part category to store all the parts from this mod? kinda gets confusing with the rest of the mods

you Can filter everything that is compatible with mk2 parts by his shape

4 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

@amarius1 @SuicidalInsanity I use CCK patches to rearrange my parts menu. Below are the chunks dealing with Mk2 and Mk3 parts.  Air breathing engines get their own category. All together, I've added 13 categories to the VAB part menu on top of the categories CCK adds by default.

Please try not to share/release stuff that has :FINAL in them. It's really bad practice to do that because of how powerful the FINAL MM pass is, and that lots of mods make that basic mistake.

27 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Please try not to share/release stuff that has :FINAL in them. It's really bad practice to do that because of how powerful the FINAL MM pass is, and that lots of mods make that basic mistake.

If I wasn't clear these were from my personal patches. I wasn't suggesting they become part of the mod as is.

I'm having a big problem with ASET 1.5 and RPM installed with this mod. RPM alone with this mod works just fine but when you add ASET 1.5 it seems to remove a lot of important instruments when in IVA and sometimes the monitors disappear too. I thought it might have been me at first but it seemed to work just fine with some other cockpit mods. Does anyone else have this issue?

Here are some pictures: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TGECeP-S233B-KoDgRTfXCZLPViCUB5CY4BL2xBLUoU/edit?usp=sharing

6 hours ago, Frankstah said:

I'm having a big problem with ASET 1.5 and RPM installed with this mod. RPM alone with this mod works just fine but when you add ASET 1.5 it seems to remove a lot of important instruments when in IVA and sometimes the monitors disappear too. I thought it might have been me at first but it seemed to work just fine with some other cockpit mods. Does anyone else have this issue?

Here are some pictures: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TGECeP-S233B-KoDgRTfXCZLPViCUB5CY4BL2xBLUoU/edit?usp=sharing

ASET avionics is missing, you have only ASET props installed. Use ASET Avionics and all missing props will appear.

Edited by Manul

In case someone hasn't reported it - the J Edgar VTOL engine is missing a node in one of its variants. The following SUBTYPE needs the green bit to be added:

SUBTYPE
        {
            name = #LOC_M2X_JedgarF
            transform = Engine_base
            transform = Fairing
            transform = Pivot
            node = bottom
            node = top
            addedMass = 0.25
        }

EDIT: Also, I think the Fairing transform needs to go to the variant above it... Possibly. No fairing appears when attaching a part to the engine using the variant with 1/2 structure and a free stack node in the rear.

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

Yes, a Custom part category can be added.

On 6/2/2020 at 7:59 PM, AccidentalDisassembly said:

In case someone hasn't reported it - the J Edgar VTOL engine is missing a node in one of its variants. The following SUBTYPE needs the green bit to be added:

Good catch; I'll get that fixed.

18 hours ago, iamasmallbaby said:

Hey I downloaded this mod almost entirely for an Mk2 decoupler and it's the only piece I didn't get :(

Odd. It includes a decoupler. If you check your KSP install, does it include a /GameData/Mk2Expansion/Parts/Structural/Decoupler/ folder?

I'm a bit confused about the banshee fan engines. I thought I understood that they were meant to work on planets without oxygen, since they require liquid fuel _and_ oxidizer. That, and the description says so. But when I attempt to use them on Duna, they do not work. Specifically, the right-click context window for the engines says:

Prop Requirements Met: 0.00%
Thrust 0.0kN
Cause: Air combustion failed

I've installed using CKAN, and changed nothing in the mod config files.Is there something I fundamentally missing?

If it's relevant, in the VAB, the propellants are listed as "liquid fuel", "oxidizer", and "fan intake air" 

I checked the fan part CFG files, and they contain the following:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleResourceIntake
		resourceName = FanIntakeAir
		checkForOxygen = false
		area = 0.04
		intakeSpeed = 30
		intakeTransformName = Intake
		machCurve
		{
			key = 1 1 0 0
			key = 1.5 0.9 -0.4312553 -0.4312553
			key = 2.5 0.45 -0.5275364 -0.5275364
			key = 3.5 0.1 0 0
		}
	}

But the part is clearly still checking for oxygen. Am I perhaps posting this in the wrong thread? I'm not sure what to do from here.

Edited by Tokamak

Update: Okay, I feel really silly. I forgot just how thin Duna's atmosphere is, and didn't go deep enough. It turns out for there to be enough FanIntakeAir you have to be almost at the surface. Derp. I'll just leave this here in case anyone else has the same problem, so that they might find it and not repeat my mistake.

On 5/26/2020 at 6:28 AM, amarius1 said:

can you please make a custom part category to store all the parts from this mod? kinda gets confusing with the rest of the mods

This mod has its own unique manufacturer that can be used for filtering. 

• 4 weeks later...

Some suggestions for changes or additions I merely want to bring up, no pressure:
The sideways slanted mk2 to mk1 adapter will be making a return? I've found quite a few uses for it but it no longer exists.
A version of the end mount Edgar that could tilt a bit past 90 degrees or have thrust vents on the top and bottom so it can work backwards? Actually, maybe just an empty version of the casing that goes around it, just a thought.
Shorter chine caps for the mk2 set.
Mk2 rcs with a fuel type switch like the banshee, well... for most rcs pieces (btw I love the options given)
(MK3X I know) Perhaps having the mk3 to mk2 cargo adapter have a hollow mk2 section for interior components, for example: extending a claw out the mk2 side from an mk2 nosecone.

Also, I take it getting symmetry to work with the node point pieces is still absolute hell? I'm noticing if I attach to the nodes the symmetry fails miserably as if I rotate them just a bit on the yaw axis they invert, but if I put them "radially" on and nudge them into the same position they work fine. Another thing, did you end up ending support with interstellar fuel switch? Noticed while your parts can switch fuel which is great, unfortunately the stock mk2 parts cannot be fuel switched so there's still the matter of a lot of the parts carrying often unnecessary oxidiser, and your parts not accepting fuel types the fuel switch allows for.

Lastly, keep up the good work! Your mods are honestly, my number 1 favorites.

There hasn't ever been a slanted mk2-1.25m adapter in M2X, are you thinking of the one from Quiznos aerospace?. No reason why I couldn't add one, though.
Symmetry on node bits is still hell, due to "Up," the part transform vector direction that indicates direction of lift for wings is rotated 90 deg from "Up", the part transform vector direction used to determine symmetry rotation.
Interstellar Fuel Switch support ended ver 1.8.3, back in KSP 1.5 in favor of B9 Part Switch, which worked better.

On 7/13/2020 at 10:36 PM, SuicidalInsanity said:

There hasn't ever been a slanted mk2-1.25m adapter in M2X, are you thinking of the one from Quiznos aerospace?. No reason why I couldn't add one, though.
Symmetry on node bits is still hell, due to "Up," the part transform vector direction that indicates direction of lift for wings is rotated 90 deg from "Up", the part transform vector direction used to determine symmetry rotation.
Interstellar Fuel Switch support ended ver 1.8.3, back in KSP 1.5 in favor of B9 Part Switch, which worked better.

I am starting to see why you're using B9 part switch after trying interstellar fuel switch, and yeah I can see the node attachments for stuff like the edgars and chines are hell to work with.

On another note, I noticed the model and the origin for the 3 configurable rcs blister types are mismatched, as can be seen here: 361a5487cb.jpg
Another thing, any chance to rework the doors on banshee lift fans so they give a bit more space for things like structural wings to exist?
d4b2a32c2f.png
Love the work as always.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2020 at 1:18 AM, SuicidalInsanity said:

Yes, a Custom part category can be added.

Good catch; I'll get that fixed.

Odd. It includes a decoupler. If you check your KSP install, does it include a /GameData/Mk2Expansion/Parts/Structural/Decoupler/ folder?

Very late reply but it was my mistake, this was one of my first mods and I honestly didn't expect modded parts to be integrated into the vanilla science tree! I just hadn't unlocked it yet lmao

@SuicidalInsanityWould you by chance be interested in having a craft file for a jet that showcases the effectiveness of the scramjet part? I have become a big time fan of the part given how it makes oxidizer free spaceplanes surprisingly viable given the in atmosphere boost to apoapsis giving nuclears ample time to circularize.

On 8/1/2020 at 12:33 AM, Marxon said:

boost to apoapsis giving nuclears ample time to circularize

Scramjet allows to reach Kerbin's escape velocity so you don't need to circularize at all :cool:
It could take me the half way to Duna or Eve. Possibly it can do even more if I find an ascent profile that allows to gain more velocity without overheating.

On 8/2/2020 at 6:47 AM, Manul said:

Scramjet allows to reach Kerbin's escape velocity so you don't need to circularize at all :cool:
It could take me the half way to Duna or Eve. Possibly it can do even more if I find an ascent profile that allows to gain more velocity without overheating.

This exactly, trying to make a simple scramjet type craft that does this is not easy as you still need an OMS engine of sorts and something to push it up to mach 4. Nothing beats pointing 5 degrees down and getting an escape trajectory though. I have made half a dozen designs for "simple" scramjet SSTOs and they have all come out beautiful, but very complex...