[1.12.X] Orbital Survey Plus v2.3.6

Wheffle

Does this mod relate to ScanSat the same way AntennaRange relates to RemoteTech2?

For resource and biome scanning? No.

If you want SCANsat resource and biome overlays just [thread=96859]download the dev version[/thread].

Is it intended/known issue that you can't see or toggle the biome overlay when you focus on other planets in map mode?

Also, any further thoughts/progress on a low-res "unexplored body" overlay? :D

Thanks for the heads-up. When I coded it I didn't think about viewing the overlay for different focused planets, just the one the current vessel was orbiting. I think letting the player view the overlay for the current focused planet would be great, as well as putting the biome overlay toggle in the tracking station (something I've noticed would be useful while playing). I'll look into it!

I haven't done any work on the low res overlays for unexplored planets yet. I might look into an option for it though, but no guarantees at this point.

Thanks for your answer! :)

I meant: is this mod a kind of "ScanSat Lite" like AntennaRange is a kind of "RT2 Lite"?

This mod focuses on extending the stock scanner experience as opposed to offering a completely separate experience or overhauling it massively. In a way I guess you could view it as a "ScanSat Lite", but OSP has nowhere near the complexity of ScanSat and doesn't offer anything significantly new to the game (orbital surveying at its core is still stockish and the biome overlay was already in the game, just without a way to access it without the cheat menu).

Basically I made it because I felt the stock surveying was cheap and incomplete, but I wasn't interested in replacing the stock system with something like ScanSat because I really enjoy using the narrow band scanner and ground-truthing with the surface scanner and wasn't looking for more complexity than that.

This mod focuses on extending the stock scanner experience as opposed to offering a completely separate experience or overhauling it massively. In a way I guess you could view it as a "ScanSat Lite", but OSP has nowhere near the complexity of ScanSat and doesn't offer anything significantly new to the game (orbital surveying at its core is still stockish and the biome overlay was already in the game, just without a way to access it without the cheat menu).

Basically I made it because I felt the stock surveying was cheap and incomplete, but I wasn't interested in replacing the stock system with something like ScanSat because I really enjoy using the narrow band scanner and ground-truthing with the surface scanner and wasn't looking for more complexity than that.

Thanks, Wheffle, and once again: GREAT MOD!

The reason I ask is simple: I am/was an user of both RT2 and ScanSat. They are great mods and make this game much more enjoyable (being able to search the terrain for a landing site based on slopes is fantastic!) but they take a lot of resources. Unfortunately, the number of good mods is rising and my computer specs aren't... So, I've recently switched RT2 for AntennaRange and am considering switching ScanSat by OSP.

Before I do it, can you please give me a small review of the differences between the gameplay offered by both of them. Tell me if they can coexist (if so, is it worth to keep both simultaneasly)?

Thanks, Wheffle, and once again: GREAT MOD!

The reason I ask is simple: I am/was an user of both RT2 and ScanSat. They are great mods and make this game much more enjoyable (being able to search the terrain for a landing site based on slopes is fantastic!) but they take a lot of resources. Unfortunately, the number of good mods is rising and my computer specs aren't... So, I've recently switched RT2 for AntennaRange and am considering switching ScanSat by OSP.

Before I do it, can you please give me a small review of the differences between the gameplay offered by both of them. Tell me if they can coexist (if so, is it worth to keep both simultaneasly)?

I totally understand. At some point I replaced RT2 with AntennaRange also. I have been tending towards simpler mods that let me tune my KSP experience rather than large mods that add a ton of parts or overhaul/replace systems.

Here's my basic rundown of OSP vs ScanSat:

OSP

• No extra parts, only modifies the M700 Orbital Surveyor to remove the insta-scan. In ordered to scan a planet, the M700 requires at least one full orbit while deployed and uses electric charge while it's scanning (the number of orbits required for a full scan is editable). Scanning progresses while the vessel is unfocused as well.
  • Also adds the ability to view the biome overlay of a planet after it has been surveyed by the M700.
  • Does NOT reveal a planet little-by-little. It simply makes the stock orbital survey take time and electric charge to complete. There are no partial scans.
  • Simple mod with few moving parts that a 5 year old could probably put together.

ScanSat (as far as I understand the current version, v12)

• Adds several scanning parts that allow you to make different types of detailed scans of planets.
  • Maps are revealed little-by-little as your satellites pass over the planet and scan them. Scanning progresses while the vessel is unfocused.
  • Adds a module to the M700 that allows it to scan for resources using ScanSat's system.
  • Does NOT replace the stock system. You can scan planets using the ScanSat scanners and use the insta-survey on the M700 concurrently. There are a few options that try to keep the surface scanner and narrow band scanner relevant in ScanSat's scope, but otherwise there is very little interaction.
  • ScanSat map overlays (similar to the stock ore overlay) are not available in the current version, but it looks like DMagic is working on it and it will be available in the next version.
  • Super complex mod and DMagic is a ninja.

Concurrent Use

I'm pretty sure OSP and ScanSat can work concurrently, especially since the current version of ScanSat is quite detached from stock resource scanning system. However, I imagine you'll either want to use ScanSat as a replacement for the stock system (where you'll need to just use self-control not to hit the insta-scan button) or slightly extend the stock system with OSP, in which case you probably wouldn't have both.

Ideally I'd love to extend the stock system to support partial scanning and get rid of the silly polar inclination requirement, but my modding prowess isn't quite there yet. Maybe some day.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

Edited by Wheffle

Version 13 of SCANsat more or less offers a total replacement for surface resource scanning (it doesn't do anything with the other types, liquid, asteroid, etc...). You can choose to disable the stock scanning system, which will prevent all types of the instant resource scan.

I tried to maintain the balance of the stock scanning system. The M700 scanner gives only a low resolution scan of resource abundance, whereas the narrow-band scanners offer high resolution data. Biome resource scanning is not changed. And planetary overlays are available for SCANsat resource maps and biome maps.

There are a few minor hiccups related to the narrow-band resource abundance readouts (the concentrations given in the right-click menu), but those mostly only affect mod resources, the Ore scanners should work fine.

[... long explanation ...]

Anyway, I hope that helps.

It SURELY helps! If all mods that worked on quite the same niche (like OSP and ScanSat) had the same on the first posts, many questions would be avoided! Thanks for your trouble writing such a complete comparison!

Version 13 of SCANsat more or less offers a total replacement for surface resource scanning (it doesn't do anything with the other types, liquid, asteroid, etc...). You can choose to disable the stock scanning system, which will prevent all types of the instant resource scan.

I tried to maintain the balance of the stock scanning system. The M700 scanner gives only a low resolution scan of resource abundance, whereas the narrow-band scanners offer high resolution data. Biome resource scanning is not changed. And planetary overlays are available for SCANsat resource maps and biome maps.

There are a few minor hiccups related to the narrow-band resource abundance readouts (the concentrations given in the right-click menu), but those mostly only affect mod resources, the Ore scanners should work fine.

Same to you, DMagic! You've been very understanding with my questions, even on another thread. Thanks!

I think I'll have to drill more resources for my computer because, although OSP looks great, I does not replace ScanSat multipurpose features well. Maybe if I get lucky, I'll keep them both... ;)

Thanks, guys!

Same to you, DMagic! You've been very understanding with my questions, even on another thread. Thanks!

I think I'll have to drill more resources for my computer because, although OSP looks great, I does not replace ScanSat multipurpose features well. Maybe if I get lucky, I'll keep them both... ;)

Thanks, guys!

It still needs some work, but for the most part, if you are just looking at resource and maybe biome scanning, there is no need to use SCANsat's slow, CPU hungry big map (I've got a few ideas for improving this, one of which requires Unity 5, another requires learning lots of new C#...). The planetary overlays, along with the instrument readout provide much of what you need.

I still need to add a simpler method for opening up a zoom map, something similar to how the high def camera works on stock narrow-band scanners, so that you can easily see the resource abundance below your current location. I also want to add resource abundance to the instrument readout (because staring at right-click menus for important information is the worst :confused:), and I'm thinking maybe some kind of mouse-over readout for the planetary overlays when in map mode.

Did some quick tests with 1.0.3, everything seems to be working fine. Thread title updated to reflect this.

If anyone runs into problems, let me know.

Edited by Wheffle

New update released :D

When in map view, the plugin now takes into account which planet you have focused so you can check out the biome overlay on a planet you aren't currently orbiting. Also, biome overlay toggle is now available in the tracking station as well. PLUS, new icons! Old ones were so ugly. New ones are probably ugly too but maybe less ugly. Can't afford to hire a graphic designer :P

Won't break saves. As always, let me know if ya'll find any bugs. Also, CurseForge takes forever to "approve" of each new uploaded file, so you're probably better off using Kerbal Stuff after a fresh update.

Edited by Wheffle
OCD

• 1 month later...

Working on another update! This one's pretty big (at least for me it is).

BUbu8bn.png

Working on getting sector-by-sector scanning into OSP, as opposed to the all-or-nothing approach. The scan progress system scratched the realism itch for a little bit, but I really want to do something more, something like a "SCANsat Lite" aiming to only use stock parts and keep it as simple as possible while adding realism.

Hopefully I didn't bite off more than I can chew. So far it's gone fairly smoothly, but integrating it with the stock resource overlay UI may be a hassle. Worst case scenario I will have to bypass it altogether. I'm really hoping it won't come to that, though.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/8/2016 at 4:26 AM, KronosHelix said:

I'm hoping this mod is getting update to 1.1, I really appreciate using the biome map.

Yeah, about that. I've been very busy with school and work, and finals are coming up, so I haven't had time to opt-in for the beta and sit down and figure things out. School will be ramping up until the end of April, so the best I can do is promise I will take a look after that. If anyone wants to dig in to the source code themselves, please feel free. PM me with any questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated for KSP 1.1. Haven't extensively tested it, but it seems to be working fine. As always, hit me up for any bugs.

KerbalStuff doesn't exist anymore, and I'm too lazy to migrate to the new SpaceDock for now. I will eventually. Use Curse until then.

Edit

Got the spacedock link up, and apparently it should also be on CKAN once again.

Edited by Wheffle

Super duper update 2.0!

With school winding down and having been playing KSP 1.1, I've been driven to the edge of madness once more. I binge-coded this update over the last couple of days, and this mod is finally what I originally envisioned it to be when I started it. Scanning now functions a lot more like SCANsat, but it is integrated (sneakily, perhaps a bit hack-ishly) with the stock resource system and its overlays. As your scanning vessel progresses in its orbit, the resource and biome overlays are revealed in real time.

It's stupid late right now and I should have tested it a bit more and waited till tomorrow to push the release, but what the heck. Let me know what y'all think and if you find any bugs.

Awesome, nice work!  I noticed that not-yet-scanned areas of the globe are grayed out a bit by default, and that got me wishing again for planets to have blurred textures in map mode before they are scanned (or just have a crewed vessel or instrument within a minimum range, or telescope pointed at it over time)... 

Edited by curiousepic

Got a small patch out that fixed some bugs that I didn't find at 4am this morning (unsurprisingly). I also added a "start survey" button so that a deployed M700 won't always be scanning no matter what. It feels a little nicer that way.

31 minutes ago, curiousepic said:

Awesome, nice work!  I noticed that not-yet-scanned areas of the globe are grayed out a bit by default, and that got me wishing again for planets to have blurred textures in map mode before they are scanned (or just have a crewed vessel or instrument within a minimum range, or telescope pointed at it over time)... 

That might not be a bad idea. I am planning on updating in the next few weeks or so to make the survey scanner gather science data so you don't miss out vs using the stock survey system. An option to shroud unexplored plants could be cool and I will definitely look into it!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.