[1.12.X] Orbital Survey Plus v2.3.6

Wheffle

1 minute ago, Wheffle said:

ResearchBodies has already implemented something very similar

That's a rather different gameplay concept, having to pay to discover and track planets before they even show up on the map. No visual obscuring of the surface, just hiding the planet altogether, so you can't go there at all (unless you're exceptionally lucky). I was hoping for something without the time/money sink tied in.

Just now, Jarin said:

That's a rather different gameplay concept, having to pay to discover and track planets before they even show up on the map. No visual obscuring of the surface, just hiding the planet altogether, so you can't go there at all (unless you're exceptionally lucky). I was hoping for something without the time/money sink tied in.

If you check out some of the images they have in the imgur album they have linked, they obscure the surface and it you slowly get more detail the more you research it. You're right, though, it's not exactly the same thing as what I was thinking about implementing. I'll continue looking into it.

On 12/16/2016 at 10:03 AM, Rocket88 said:

Wheffle,

Was wandering what your thoughts were about adding contracts for scanning planets.

Awesome mod, Thanks for all your work

Hmm... I haven't thought about adding contracts. I might take a look.

• 2 months later...

@Wheffle, Mod functionality are awesome! But every time game make an autosave (like every 5 min) there is a huge lag, game freezes and does no response... :( Possible conflict this other mods if only I report this...

I will keep an eye on this for future update, may be problem evaporates over time :)

On 3/2/2017 at 8:58 PM, ZobrAA said:

@Wheffle, Mod functionality are awesome! But every time game make an autosave (like every 5 min) there is a huge lag, game freezes and does no response... :( Possible conflict this other mods if only I report this...

I will keep an eye on this for future update, may be problem evaporates over time :)

I'm having the same problem, which is a real pity because more realistic scanning is one of the more satisfying features I was looking forward to. There's something so rewarding about unlocking something bit by bit. Took me forever to figure out which of my many mods was causing this though.

KSP x64 1.2.2 on Windows 10x64 AMD

Amd Phenom IIX6 1090T Processor 3.2GHz

Radeon HD 6900 series Graphics card

I'm using the most up to date version of:

Community Resource Pack

Distant Object Enhancement

Fuel Tanks Plus

Interstellar Fuel Switch

Kopernicus

Modular Flight Integrator

Orbital Survey Plus (obviously lol)

Real Solar System

RSS-Textures(not a separate mod but has it's own folder so I included it anyway)

Scatterer

Texture Replacer

I'm trying to run more, but deleted a bunch while trying to find out what was causing the constant crashes, this is just the setup associated with the output log file.

Output log

Well shoot. Let's see if we can figure this out. At first glance I suspect it might be RSS. Planet data grids are based on their size, so having much larger planets could inflate the data to ridiculous levels. @ZobrAA are you using any mods that make planets bigger? @MusicMetalHead have you scanned any planets in RSS yet? Did the problem by chance start during your RSS playthrough?

If this is the case I'll try to get an update out that will scale down data size for RSS users.

Yes, the autosave will build the save node tree from scratch every time. It's just the way KSP is built.

I will try to come up with a solution soon, maybe just by adding an option to scale the data grid for users with RSS. Thank you for reporting the problem!

2 minutes ago, ZobrAA said:

@Wheffle What if switch off planet grid data saving whet scan is 100% complete? I mean if planet is fully scanned - erase all its grid data and use stock resource overlay for that planet with no additional data saving?

It actually should be doing something like that already. Does it not appear to be doing so? Are you getting lag even though all planets are either 0% or 100% scanned?

Just now, MusicMetalHead said:

I've tried scanning Earth a number of times, but it always led to a crash as soon as it tried to save. Never got very far.

Yeah, it might not be jiving well with RSS. I'll be looking into it this weekend.

Just now, Wheffle said:

It actually should be doing something like that already. Does it not appear to be doing so? Are you getting lag even though all planets are either 0% or 100% scanned?

Oh! Did not actually know that and not tested :rolleyes: So if I understand right it's that settings option called "Scan Autocomplete Threshold"?

1 minute ago, ZobrAA said:

Oh! Did not actually know that and not tested :rolleyes: So if I understand right it's that settings option called "Scan Autocomplete Threshold"?

Yes, that setting helps to cut down on having 99% planets scanned hanging around. Any planet with 100% scan will stop taking up save space.

@Wheffle I have a suggestion to simplify data storage. At least as an option for larger planets

So we reject to save surface grid at all. When we deploy survey satellite, plugin calculates time to full scan surface up to latitude, based of orbit inclination. All the time until scan completes we cant see the overlay at all. When scan at 100%, overlay become visible as a belt on a globe up to latitude = inclination.

In this way we only need to save such data:

1. Max scan latitude and time to scan completion for the most inclined scanning orbit (in case of several survey satellites) for each planet.
  2. Latitude of last previously complied survey - determines wideness of visible overlay belt

No cool looking scanning strips on the surface of course, but also no calculations to track it and almost zero data size in save file! :cool:

Edited by ZobrAA

I might look i to alternative methods like the one you described, but at first glance it seems a bit more complicated. The planet is rotating as the scanner orbits, so it won't be a simple belt. This is why high inclination orbits will eventually scan all/most of a planet even without switching inclinations.

1 minute ago, Wheffle said:

The planet is rotating as the scanner orbits, so it won't be a simple belt.

But in KSP all planets have no tilt, so after a while scanned area will ended up as a belt with latitude=±inclination

pPgGjQa.jpg

No need to make 100% accurate completion time prediction as we did not see expansion of surface scanning strips anyway. It can be very primitive calculation, even like 10*orbitalPeriod.surveySat  It's not so important.:rolleyes:

Ah, I see what you are saying. I thought you meant revealing one orbital strip at a time. Well, that *is* an option to cut down on memory and CPU, but I'd rather keep the dynamic scanning that we have right now. I suppose I can add it as an option for lower-end systems or RSS users. It can be a fallback if I can't come up with a good solution otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Wheffle said:

I suppose I can add it as an option for lower-end systems or RSS users.

Yes! As an option :) No need to delete dynamic scanning at all! It's too cool looking and so many people playing on stock planets... Suggested simplification only for people who really need it! :D

I think a large part of the problem has to do with retroactive scanning taking up loads of memory and crashing it. I think some optimization in how that's processed might fix it. I'm not a mathematician, but if you described the parts to be retroactively scanned as a line of the path of the orbit traced over the map with the width of the line being a function of altitude (a lot of ass pulling going on here but it makes sense in my head), that would allow the calculation to be done as a (relatively) simple math problem, which computers are really really good at.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.