[1.12.X] Orbital Survey Plus v2.3.6

Wheffle

51 minutes ago, MusicMetalHead said:

I think a large part of the problem has to do with retroactive scanning taking up loads of memory and crashing it. I think some optimization in how that's processed might fix it. I'm not a mathematician, but if you described the parts to be retroactively scanned as a line of the path of the orbit traced over the map with the width of the line being a function of altitude (a lot of ass pulling going on here but it makes sense in my head), that would allow the calculation to be done as a (relatively) simple math problem, which computers are really really good at.

Well, the path isn't exactly "straight". When you project the path onto a 2D map, it is quite curvy (unless you are exactly equatorial). I can take another look at the code for retroactive scans, but to make sure can you see if you get the same problem when you turn retroactive scanning off in the options?

The massive data grids getting created and put into memory as a result of RSS could be causing a memory-based crash as well.

22 minutes ago, MusicMetalHead said:

Working on getting a relay network setup right now for a Moon mission, but I'll put survey back up and try it out again once I finish that. Might take awhile though. Everything is just soo hard in RSS, and shifting away from the "just add more boosters" mentality is hard.

Haha. You can start a sandbox save and cheat your way up if you need to. I'll be doing some tests of my own though if you can't get around to it.

@ZobrAA @MusicMetalHead

I cooked up a quick dev patch that looks like it solves the issue. If y'all want to try it out and let me know if it helps, get it at this link:

OSP 2.3.2 - dev 2 - patch for RSS

You should either start a new save or use it on a save where no scanning has been done.

If neither of those options appeal to you and you want to do it the hard way, you'll have to go into the persistence file and delete everything inside the "OSPScanData" node of the OSP Scenario section. Example Screenshot

I'll continue testing and will release a full update hopefully along with a few other changes before long.

23 hours ago, Wheffle said:

I cooked up a quick dev patch that looks like it solves the issue.

Scanning cone suppose to be so big? :0.0: Though... on save no noticeable lag with Kerbin and Mun scanning at the same time...

fO2e2rE.jpg

hBHgL3N.jpg

Those scan cones do look a bit big. If the patch is working correctly scaling should be based off the home planet. If bodies are much smaller than the home planet then the grid will be a lot smaller, causing a larger scan cone, and the opposite is true. Are the pictures you are showing from stock or has the solar system been altered?

5 minutes ago, Wheffle said:

Are the pictures you are showing from stock or has the solar system been altered?

My solar system has variable scaling. Kerbin x3.2 stock, Mun x2.6 stock, some bodies scaled more, some less, some of them not scaled at all, like Minmus orbiting Eeloo, like Pluto-Charon...

1 minute ago, ZobrAA said:

My solar system has variable scaling. Kerbin x3.2 stock, Mun x2.6 stock, some bodies scaled more, some less, some of them not scaled at all, like Minmus orbiting Eeloo, like Pluto-Charon...

If Kerbin is still the home world, its grid (and the scanner's radius) should look exactly the same as in stock. Since the Mun is smaller relative to Kerbin that picture makes sense. Kerbin's grid does look a bit small though, might need to do a bit more fiddling. Thank you for the feedback!

11 minutes ago, Wheffle said:

If Kerbin is still the home world, its grid (and the scanner's radius) should look exactly the same as in stock. Since the Mun is smaller relative to Kerbin that picture makes sense. Kerbin's grid does look a bit small though, might need to do a bit more fiddling. Thank you for the feedback!

I'm okay with grid chunks size, it's scan cone angle bothers me. By logic and (semi-)realism purpose it have to be way smaller. Or planet will be fully scanned in a few orbits... Angle must be like 15-30 deg, IMO

May be it's worth to put the grid size slider to settings menu, so player can tweak it depending of planets sizes and lags? :)

Edited by ZobrAA

3 minutes ago, ZobrAA said:

I'm okay with grid chunks size, it's scan cone angle bothers me. By logic and (semi-)realism purpose it have to be way smaller. Or planet will be fully scanned in a few orbits... Angle must be like 15-30 deg, IMO

May be it's worth to put the grid size slider to settings menu, so player can tweak it depending of planets sizes and lags? :)

You can tweak the scan radius in the config files. 

GameData > OrbitalSurveyPlus > Patches > OrbitalSurveyPlus.cfg > ScanRadius = [whatever you want]

Default is 8, so try shrinking it to get a value you like.

4 minutes ago, Wheffle said:

You can tweak the scan radius in the config files. 

GameData > OrbitalSurveyPlus > Patches > OrbitalSurveyPlus.cfg > ScanRadius = [whatever you want]

Default is 8, so try shrinking it to get a value you like.

Oh! But than it means scanning area independent of orbit's height? Hm...

55 minutes ago, ZobrAA said:

Oh! But than it means scanning area independent of orbit's height? Hm...

Yes. OSP isn't intended to be ultra realistic, just a step-up from stock. I figure die-hards have SCANsat.

Pushed out an update

Spacedock | Curse

Mostly deals with the issues that have been brought to my attention that occur when you use OSP with RSS or other alternate solar system mods that scale planet sizes up. OSP will now take a look at the solar system and scale the data grids to stay at sane sizes so memory and save/load times won't skyrocket. Thanks @ZobrAA and @MusicMetalHead for the help!

Most users won't be affected by the big changes, but everyone should enjoy a few optimizations and other small changes.

Might have to wait a bit for curse to "approve" the file upload. Spacedock is usually a good bet.

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Quick question: what sort of interaction with SCANSat will this mod have? I had this mod with KSP 1.1.2 but Im just wondering if with the changes applied to SCANSat for KSP 1.2.2, what role (if any) will this mod play?

Thanks

This mod has never had any role to play with SCANsat whatsoever. They are generally mutually exclusive, and I'm not entirely sure what happens when you install both (it might not crash or anything, just be broken/weird/confusing/whatever).

Some reasons to use SCANsat: You want maps besides the planet overlays that are interactive and allow you to place waypoints, you want different types of scanners for altitude maps, biome maps, resources, etc., you (possibly) want to skip the narrow band scanner or ground-truthing phases of resource scouting, and you generally crave more complexity and a more fleshed-out planet mapping and scanning experience.

Some reasons to use OSP: You generally like the stock resource system, you want to stay stock-alike, you don't crave much more complexity but the stock M700 Survey Scanner's instant reveal drives you insane. Or you like the stock system and simply want a biome overlay without using the cheat menu.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Edited by Wheffle
stuff

• 4 weeks later...

Nice mod, really helps track down biomes I wan't to visit.

Small suggestion: maybe add a legend to the mapoverlay to tell wich biome is wich.

(I hope map-legend is a thing in english too. I mean a list that tells you what the colorcode means.)

edit:

Is there a reason why the game lags when I activate the biomeoverlay? Didn't find any settings that made it better.

Edited by maculator

@maculator

The biome map is actually the same one you can access from the cheat menu. I don't know if the colors are associated with biomes anywhere in the system. I might look into it when I get to working on this mod again.

Unfortunately sometimes having the biome map up on a not fully scanned planet can cause some narley lag in some cases, it's not always easy to predict when. I've resorted to using some pretty hack-ish methods to intercept KSP's overlay textures and modify them before they get deployed, and unfortunately ever since they cleaned up the biome map to give it more resolution it has gained the potential to hog resources, again only sometimes. Fortunately this isn't a problem for the ore overlay. It's something I will address when I have time to work on OSP after finals, I sincerely apologize for it.

Edit: In the meantime, if the biome map lag is consistently wrecking your framerate, you can uncheck the "biome map requires scan" option which will alleviate the lag. Of course this means that, well, the biome map doesn't require scanning, so that kind of sucks, but the ore map still will.

Edited by Wheffle

Only got pysicks slowed when looking at it, I can stand that. Will report back when scan is done to see how it works then.

You could just add a little window to the overlay and take the colors with a colorpicker if you so desire.

• 1 month later...

New Update

I finally found time to track down and fix the slowdown that happens often when you have an overlay up for a planet. Hopefully it's fixed, at least mostly. Quick test results were good. Let me know if there are anymore problems.

Spacedock | Curse

Important Note:

Seeing as how KSP 1.3 just came out and a lot of mods aren't compatible yet, I actually deployed two updates. The first update fixes the slowdown issue and stays compatible with KSP 1.2. The second update is the same update but is compatible with KSP 1.3. If most of your mods are still on KSP 1.2, stick with the first update for now to still get the benefits of the patch and move on to the latest one later.

Quick Link for latest version compatible with KSP 1.2

Orbital Survey Plus 2.3.3 - Fixes the slowdown issue and stays compatible with KSP 1.2

Orbital Survey Plus 2.3.4 - Fixes the slowdown issue and is compatible with KSP 1.3

As always, let me know if there are any problems or questions.

Edited by Wheffle
added direct link to 2.3.3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I am using OSP 2.3.4. I got a probe with the M700 survey scanner on a polar orbit of Kerbin. I started the Survey and transmitted the around 8-9 Mits of data. Now in the maps screen and/or the tracking station I find a button which toggles the resource overlay but NOT the biome overlay. I have checked blitz toolbar options and the stock toolbar and I do not see any button to toggle the biome map.

Can you please help me finding out to see the biome overlay.

RB4dM2H.jpg

@markal

I see it on the bar on the right side of your screenshot. The little satellite icon over the colored globe:

VssoIqz.png

Edit:

Just thought of this, not sure if this is it but I figured I'd say this just in case. You might have gotten the ore map and the biome map confused. The button shown above is the biome map. To get the ore/resource overlay, you use the same button you use for stock. To get that button to appear, you have to focus the camera on the planet first, and then the button with the icon of a globe with a slice cut out of it will appear. OSP integrates with the stock system so it uses the same button.

5vAB2DZ.png

Edited by Wheffle
possible clarification

@Wheffle Thanks I figured it out. Seems the issue is the toggle overlay button on the M700 scanner. It was the first thing I pressed after I started scanning and it puts the resource/ore overlay on the map screen.

That's why I got confused. Wish it at least toggled between the different overlay types. Thanks for the response.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.