[1.12.X] Orbital Survey Plus v2.3.6

Wheffle

4 hours ago, ble210 said:

How much science do the scans reveal?  I'm just a bit concerned about that being over-powered (yielding too much science).

In the part module of the STOCK orbital surveyor, "SciBonus" is set to 10. IIRC you get 10 base science for scanning a body, multiplied by the "low orbit" multiplier value for that body (a table can be found here).

OSP works the same, you get the "SciBonus" base science multiplied by the "low orbit" multiplier for a 100% scan of a planet. "SciBonus" is a value in the part module contained in the OrbitalSurveyPlus.cfg file, under the "Patches" folder in the mod directory. This value is by default 20, which is double the amount of science you get from the stock surveyor. My original line of thought was that it's much more of a pain in the butt to get 100% scans with OSP, so you should get more science. Now that I think about it (and now that you've brought it up), I might revert that default value in the next patch, as double does seem a bit much even though it's a bit more work compared with stock. It's easy to tweak in your install though, just grab the OrbitalSurveyPlus.cfg file and change the "SciBonus = 20" entry to "SciBonus = 10". You can also tweak the scan radius there if it's not to your liking (lots of players like it smaller for more realism).

TL:DR - Scanning a planet 100% gives you double what you'd get scanning a planet in stock, but it's tweakable.

Edited by Wheffle

8 hours ago, Wheffle said:

In the part module of the STOCK orbital surveyor, "SciBonus" is set to 10. IIRC you get 10 base science for scanning a body, multiplied by the "low orbit" multiplier value for that body (a table can be found here).

OSP works the same, you get the "SciBonus" base science multiplied by the "low orbit" multiplier for a 100% scan of a planet. "SciBonus" is a value in the part module contained in the OrbitalSurveyPlus.cfg file, under the "Patches" folder in the mod directory. This value is by default 20, which is double the amount of science you get from the stock surveyor. My original line of thought was that it's much more of a pain in the butt to get 100% scans with OSP, so you should get more science. Now that I think about it (and now that you've brought it up), I might revert that default value in the next patch, as double does seem a bit much even though it's a bit more work compared with stock. It's easy to tweak in your install though, just grab the OrbitalSurveyPlus.cfg file and change the "SciBonus = 20" entry to "SciBonus = 10". You can also tweak the scan radius there if it's not to your liking (lots of players like it smaller for more realism).

TL:DR - Scanning a planet 100% gives you double what you'd get scanning a planet in stock, but it's tweakable.

Thank you for the detailed response!  I hear you on trying to balance more science than the stock scanner, as it does take a bit more work with OSP.  But I agree that double is a bit too much, especially with the multipliers for some of the planets.  No idea what a "good" balance is, but I appreciate you letting me know how to change the science bonus- I'm going to change it in my file from 20 to 13 (I agree that it deserves a bit more science, but I also like to make things hard for myself :)

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, Psycho_zs said:

Unfortunately, with this mod  1.3.1 silently crashes right before main menu (at least Linux version), without any relevant messages in the log upon crash.

I've just begun checking it out today and I'm getting the same result. I'll be investigating the cause. At least I know it's happening to someone else, which rules out something derpy going on with my install.

Pushed a new version, tested it a bunch and it seemed to be working with KSP 1.3.1. Made a few small pending changes while I was at it. As usual, report any bugs here and I'll try to squash them quickly.

Quick Links:

Spacedock | Curse*

* Curse is slow and stupid so use Spacedock instead

• 5 months later...

Even though the old version seemed to be working, I recompiled against KSP 1.4.1 and pushed a new release to be safe (should also cause OSP to show up on CKAN for KSP 1.4.1 as well). Did some code clean-up while I was in there, but no end-user-facing changes.

Edited by Wheffle

12 hours ago, ZobrAA said:

Thx! Getting ready for new career build :)

So am I! I managed to accidentally nuke the mod list for my long-time 1.3.0 save, don't have to the time or patience to re-construct the mod environment for it. Planning on starting from scratch with 1.4.1, just waiting for all my favorite mods to catch up.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick head's up: After some light testing it looks like the OSP was not broken on the KSP 1.4.2 patch, so the last release seems good to go without an update.

If anyone has any problems please message me or post about it here and I'll try to take care of it ASAP.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Seeing as how OSP seemed to work fine with 1.4.3, I expect it will be fine with 1.4.4 as well. I'll test it when I have time, hopefully this evening, at which point I'll make sure it's marked correctly on Spacedock and CKAN (I apologize to CKAN users for never getting around to it for 1.4.3). Feel free to let me know if anyone encounters weird behavior.

*Edit*

Did some testing and it looks fine. I'll update the compatible version.

*Edit 2*

Seems to be working fine in 1.4.5, updated spaceport and thread to reflect that.

Edited by Wheffle

• 4 months later...

The mod is "necessary" in that the features it introduced have not been added to the base game. So if you want those features you need to use the mod. (Check the First Post (OP) for what it adds)

I have not tested it, so dont know if the current version still works in 1.5.1.

On 11/10/2018 at 5:39 PM, jlcarneiro said:

Is this mod still necessary on KSP 1.5.1? If so, is it working?

The changes this mod brings haven't been added to the base game in any version yet, and I doubt they ever will. SQUAD's take on orbital scanning seems done and closed. Like @BlackHat said, check the OP for more details.

I haven't tested yet in 1.5.1, mostly because I haven't moved up yet myself. I doubt that 1.5.1 broke OSP, but you can never be sure. I'll be sure to try to test within the next few days. I can never be sure how much interest there still is and so I end up updating at a pace that suits my own playing needs, but if that's ever too slow for anyone please feel free to post and light a little fire under me. I do check periodically for activity.

Personally, I love the mod, I have used it in all my games, I too am still doing a career save on 1.4.5. I am still adding mods to my 1.5.1 version, but have not started playing it. (other than occasionally tests of a few new mods) But look forward to adding OP+ to the 1.5.1 version when I switch to playing on it.

3 hours ago, Wheffle said:

I haven't tested yet in 1.5.1, mostly because I haven't moved up yet myself. I doubt that 1.5.1 broke OSP, but you can never be sure.

I've just checked and the OSP toolbar button works as expected for a planet that's already been scanned (i.e. it toggles the biome map).  I haven't tried scanning a new planet, but clicking the "Start Survey" button appears as expected on the M700 scanner part in orbit, and when I click it, the "Status:" line toggles between "standby" and "scan complete" (since it's above a planet I've already scanned).  So unless there's some sort of bug that's specific to tracking scan completion percentage, OSP seems to be fine in 1.5.1.

After some testing it looks like OSP hasn't been broken by KSP 1.5. Seeing as how @Wyzard didn't seem to have any obvious problems either (thanks for taking a look and reporting back!) I feel comfortable pronouncing OSP as 1.5.1 compatible. As usual, feel free to post here or PM me if anyone finds any bugs or issues.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried tweaking "scan autocomplete threshold", now it's stuck. I can only set it to 100 or 0%. Please, send help.

Edit: Also, I can't find a way to enable resource view in the tracking station. I have transmitted some data, the overlay is visible from the map when activated through the Surveyor option. Is the mod missing something, or I am?

Edited by MuchozolF

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 2:44 AM, MuchozolF said:

I tried tweaking "scan autocomplete threshold", now it's stuck. I can only set it to 100 or 0%. Please, send help.

Edit: Also, I can't find a way to enable resource view in the tracking station. I have transmitted some data, the overlay is visible from the map when activated through the Surveyor option. Is the mod missing something, or I am?

Aw shucks, it's sticking for me too. I'll have to take a look at that. In the meantime, you can edit that value manually in your persistent.sfs located in the saves directory in your KSP folder. Search for this section and change the relevant value to whatever you want (between 0 and 1):

OSPParamsBasic
{
  ExtendedSurvey = True
  BiomeMapRequiresScan = True
  OverlayRequiresTransmit = True
  ScanAutocompleteThreshold = 0.95
}

As far as the resource overlay in the tracking station, make sure you are focusing the planet you want to view, and use the normal stock resource button to pull up the menu and check the resource map. It's the same process for pulling it up in stock, the mod doesn't change anything with that (just modifies the overlay after the fact).

For the biome map, the mod adds a separate button to the toolbar, which only shows up when you're focusing a planet.

What exactly is happening that prevents you from seeing the overlay? Are the buttons missing? Can you view it while in a ship orbiting the planet in question? Seems to be working for me in the latest version of KSP, but I won't rule out the existence of a bug.

Thank you. I have already found that little settings section in persistent.sfs, after it occurred to me that gamedata isn't the only place you can put such a thing.

As for the ore thing... I just didn't know how to use the stock UI here and went straight into assuming that there is a mod to blame. A quick Google search revealed, that I wasn't the only person with this hilarious problem, that shouldn't exist in a well-designed UI. Just put a damn checkbox there, devs!

On 2/18/2019 at 1:13 PM, MuchozolF said:

Thank you. I have already found that little settings section in persistent.sfs, after it occurred to me that gamedata isn't the only place you can put such a thing.

As for the ore thing... I just didn't know how to use the stock UI here and went straight into assuming that there is a mod to blame. A quick Google search revealed, that I wasn't the only person with this hilarious problem, that shouldn't exist in a well-designed UI. Just put a damn checkbox there, devs!

Glad you got it figured out. I wholeheartedly agree with you, the stock resource overlay UI is way too hidden.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.