KSP youtubers impact

Ival70

What made you join the KSP community?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. What made you join the KSP community?

• Youtuber
    • Not Youtuber

I stumbled upon KSP while reading a "List of games you want your kids to play as a parent". It was back at 0.3 something iirc, was love on first sight. YFW I don't even have kids!

Who is PewDiePie and why would his youtube make any change that Scott Manley, Danny2462, RoninPawn or any other hasn't already?

Because Scott Manley, Danny et al are targeting an audience that already plays KSP.

PewDiePie targets and audience that largely (if not completely) is unaware of KSP. 10% of the Scott Manley viewers who don't know KSP and will give it a try is... nothing. 0.1% of PDP viewers who will give it a try is... a lot. That's why it would make any change.

I accidentally stumbled upon Scott Manley's video from his Eve or Bust series, then he started Interstellar Quest and I wanted to try the game for myself. That is how I got to KSP

Bought the beta a long way back because I've always wanted to explore space. Didn't play much because I'm on Dvorak keyboard layout and it looked like a lot of work to reconfigure the keybindings so I didn't bother at the time (problem now solved, I believe:)). When the release version was, err, released, decided to leap in and try again. Very glad I did.

Arrived at the forums here as a result of the 'KSP Community' link in the first screen of the game.

I tend to avoid walkthroughs usually -- I prefer to try to work things out for myself. However, I suspect that rocket science is so much more like, err, rocket science than figuring out a strat to, say, beat up a gaggle of gnolls, that I may well need to visit YouTube before too long if I'm to avoid too much crash-and-burn :)

Before i got hooked to KSP i was playing simcity 4. At some point i got hooked at watching SC4 youtube videos from Hypnotoad. By browsing his other videos i came upon a video Kerbal Space Program, needless to say after 5 mins in the video i bought the game. it was back at 0.18 and after many crashes in the game's first hour Scott Manley taught me how to fly while Kurtjmac made laugh.

My little brother told me to check out a YouTuber named Scott Manley. I watched one video, (the v .19 intro video) and 5 minutes later I bought the game. I've been playing ever since.

I got into KSP because of One-F-Jef. He made it look easy and fun. I found out it was kind of fun (though not easy). Still, Scott Manley also helped with his knowledge and humor.

• 2 weeks later...

While I am not a big fan of Pewdie it was funny that you could actually see the moment he went from just reviewing a game he expected to be boring to actually enjoying it. It seems like that first time you get into space thinking youve done it to suddenly falling back towards kerbin that ignites the spark. You suddenly realize there is a lot more to space travel than video games or movies had previously led us to believe.

It was Scott Manley for me. To see how far the game has come since I first looked at it, I just had to have it.

Re: PewDiePie's video, I'm sure it's had some impact. Yeah KSP isn't really targeting his audience, but I'm sure there are many kids who have an interest in science or space who saw KSP for the first time there.

PewDiePie actually got me into this game but not due to this video. On the end of some other video (maybe Turbo Dismount?) He mentioned KSP as a really cool game... because I love space and I loved it even before KSP, I bought it and made one of best decisions in my entire life :D

I kinda was browsing the Steam store, and I found KSP (V 0.17) on sale for like $7 or something. I convinced my brother got try it on the demo. He likes it, but doesn't want to buy it. I then went to Scott's channel for some advanced tutorials. (I already knew the basics.) Now, I mainly design rovers and vehicles modeled after real life vehicles. I have only landed on the Mun, so I will try to land on Minmus or something.

TBH, for me its allmost the thing that puts me off from KSP, those Pseudo-wannabee-stars on YT, i cant stand them, but in their defence, no matter what game, i just cant bare watching those YT's. so its not just KSP YT's..

I rather read a good tutorial, thats well written and to the point, instead listing to some "random" guy that finds himself very interresting, rambling about all kind of stuff that doesnt interrest me the slightest.

Even the so praised Manley, i just cant bare to watch any of him, if he would be direct to the point, maybe, but 70% of the time those vids last, its for me, uninterresting rambling that i utterly am not interrested in.

But i guess i'm the exception on this view on YT's here.

So nope, i didnt got into KSP by any Youtuber, matter of fact, a fellow iRacer mentioned it on the iRacing forums, that peeked my interrest in the game.

I'd been hearing about the game from various quarters beforehand but it was Macey Dean's awesome video series that got me properly interested. I watched most of his videos before I'd even played the game so I had a decent understanding of the game before I started which helped a lot.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.