Docking training is missing steps?

In my opinion the Docking training is difficult not only because the process is hard but also because the steps leave out important things (at least that's what I gather). Here's where I get stuck: I get the correct inclination and set up a rendevouz at about 3km separation. Then, if I remember correctly, you are told to burn retrograde until your speed drops below 50 m/s. Until this point everything works but then you are told to use your RCS thrusters to make your speed drop to zero. But it says to start this when separated from the target at about 10km. Problem is that once your speed drops below 50 m/s your orbits don't intersect anymore. Meaning you don't get any closer than you currently are. In my case we are always at least 43 km apart. So either the instructions are wrong or there are important steps missing. I started everything EXACTLY when and how I was told by the training text.

I thought I would have a go at the tutorial and found another bug (ish). Even though I've got my approach down to less than 1km it doesn't let me press the 'next' button:

nKM2vjd.png

EDIT: The solution was to create an empty manuever node? Weird.

IMO it's not a very good tutorial. For one it gives you quite an unwieldy craft to pilot, it tells you to start matching velocities at 60km away(!) then come to a dead stop at 10km(!!!).

Personally, I would start matching velocities at a much closer distance, something like 10-5km and zero relative speed when you are under 2km. I think because it's telling you to slow down quite early, this is what's causing you to miss the target.

EDIT2:

And another bug! To advance the tutorial, you don't actually need to dock at all, just switch to the other craft using the [] keys. It certainly needs some work.

Edited by Sonny_Jim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.