A more sensible craft for the Asteroid Redirect Mission Part 1 tutorial.

XMl7wU1.png

I mean, 8 LV-Ns attached to T-100 fuel tanks? And only 4 of them are activated, when you could easily just get rid of 4 of them and have a puller rather than a pusher?

Two FL-R1 RCS tanks, one of them on a stage that's designed to be discarded?

A useless probe core on a stage that's going to be jettisoned?

Tanks full of oxidiser that can't be used? (Thanks Mr Speed)

As it is the first burn you have to do is over 5 minutes and because the LV-Ns are attached to tiny, tiny fuel tanks they easily overheat and explode.

Is this a joke?

Edited by Sonny_Jim

I don't mean to denigrate v1.0, although rereading my post I do realise it came over that way. I think v1.0 is awesome!

What I do think though is that with v1.0 a lot of new players will be trying KSP for the first time and considering the difficulty curve, a lot of these players will be looking at the tutorials for hints and ideas on how to build their craft. With this in mind the tutorials should be a shining example of what a 'good' craft should be.

I feel that this craft is a very poor example of an asteroid grabber and looks to me that the tutorials weren't played through properly after the addition of heat generation.

I guess it's really easy to find something to complain about these days.

I mean, it's not like Science or Reputation is on the line. It's a tutorial, PART 1 of a tutorial. Sheesh.

A tutorial is supposed to be straightforward to teach, not the most absurd possible way to complete the mission. The lander scenario has a craft where if you don't move the staging, it blows all the engines off the lander, for example. Dumb.

I just had a quick look at the tutorials/scenarios and couldn't find the craft you mean?

It's one with "heavy lander" I think. When you uncouple the CM from the lander, the lander's first staging option dumps the 4 radials (with the landing legs as I recall).

OP : Yeah i think i posted a post about the new tutorials a while ago.

I might be wrong, but it looks to me that all those tutorials are the old ones, and they don't look revamped at all... oxidizer that you cant use, unmanoeuverable ships, RCS that you can't use, overheating nukes, broken fuel lines that force you to transfer fuel from the main tank to 4 smaller ones every 30 seconds, pointless probe cores...

And what about the interplanetary travel tutorial ? Can't find it ! Has this disappeared along with the deltaV reader and the other stuff ?

I love 1.0 but i really think that the tutorials were oversighted ( wich is weird since developpers were mentioning them regularly in the tuesday devnotes not long before 1.0 release)

Nope, v1.0.2, downloaded from the KSP Store. Are the tutorials/scenarios moddable so we can create our own ones?

Oh i have the Steam install, maybe they didn't add the new tutorials.

By the way (and that may be related), the Steam version has not upgraded the Demo. Downloading the demo from steam will get you the old one (there is the old KSC ! :) )

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.