Life support mod of your choice for career mode.

0x7be

Hello, fellow Kerbals!

I'am willing to add life support to my career game, but I have some doubts. I'am afraid that addition of LS into career will bring unforseen gamebreaking issues. One of them is death of stranded Kerbals in rescue contracts.

What type of mod (if any) you are using with career mode and what sort of problems do you encounter with it?

Thanks in advance.

I'm currently play-testing TAC Life Support (IMO the most advanced and well balanced--mix in USI Kolonization and you have a very rich experience!). I've not had any game breaking issues.

The big limiter as far as Kerbal Rescue contracts go is Electricity. In TAC Life Support, the command pods alone get 3 days of each resource...except electricity (to run the heaters necessary to keep the Kerbal alive). You only get about 2 hours and 30 minutes of that. But the Kerbal can survive upwards of a day without the heat.

While this would seem to be a limiter, keep in mind that it only takes about a day to get to the Mun. So pretty much any Kerbal in Kerbin's sphere of influence is going to survive long enough for you to rescue. If the Kerbal is beyond or near Mun's orbit, you just have to bring some more Delta-V and be more aggressive with your rendezvous.

Also keep in mind the Kerbal doesn't spawn until you accept the contract. With the new difficulty of 1.0's rescue contracts, plus the common sense nature of my travel agency program, staging rescue pods controlled by probes at various orbits around Kerbin, Mun, and Minmus before being offered rescue contracts is also a wise strategy. I don't consider that gaming the system. NASA had plans like that when they were designing a moon base in the 70's I believe whereby there'd be several strategically positioned pods supplied with food, water, and oxygen should something go wrong on the base on the Moon.

I use TAC at well and have had no issues with it breaking or bugging the game. I was also worried about the stranded kerbals too. But it doesnt seem to spawn their life support until you are actually in range of them (about 2.3 km) at which point it tells me that they are out of everything which is when i start to panic so i quickly eva them and fly them over to my rescue craft. Usually only takes a minute or two and havent killed a kerbal yet.

TAC Life support for me. It really does make interplanetary trips more fun when you have to plan consumption rates and consider sending supply pods ahead.

Last week i had to make a tough choice when my plans were off: Sacrifice one kerbal lest everyone starved on Duna. However, I managed to build a supply craft with 14000 dV that got there in time with 2 days of food left when they docked. The kerbal who drew the shortest straw was very happy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.