Mk3 Expansion - [KSP 1.12x] Version 1.6 [10/5/21]

@DavidBowman; Or play sandbox. Balance it is.

@Dr. Jet; The mk2 Form is deceptively large: aEXVCM7.png I could easily fit two kerbals in a mk2 science lab, with room for some equipment. Just don't expect much in the way of Science yields. As for IVA tutorials, there's TT's IVA tutorial from a while ago, it covers most of the basics, but is more geared towards the Unity end of things.

On the modeling end of things, You have two options. A: You just leave a hole in the mesh where the window goes. make sure this lines up with the window on the external model, though! A quick and dirty way of doing it, but you miss out on window details like dirt streaks/tint/whatever.

B) On the model, take the faces that make up the window and turn them into a separate object. This will allow you to apply a seperate normal map to the windows. Then, in Unity, you assign the usual KSP/Diffuse|Specular|Bumped shader to the IVA components, then to the window you add the KSP/Alpha/Translucent shader, and make sure that your window texture has transparency or an alpha layer.

I can throw up some pics later if those would help.

On the modeling end of things, You have two options. A: You just leave a hole in the mesh where the window goes. make sure this lines up with the window on the external model, though! A quick and dirty way of doing it, but you miss out on window details like dirt streaks/tint/whatever.

B) On the model, take the faces that make up the window and turn them into a separate object. This will allow you to apply a seperate normal map to the windows. Then, in Unity, you assign the usual KSP/Diffuse|Specular|Bumped shader to the IVA components, then to the window you add the KSP/Alpha/Translucent shader, and make sure that your window texture has transparency or an alpha layer.

I can throw up some pics later if those would help.

When I last tried to make IVA, I was going with "B" variant and failed. Semi-transparent window part (like lids on my Rugged Rover) appeared to be not transparent from inside. Don't know why.

That IVA pretty much looks ready to be flown! I hope for a quick release, as I really, REALLY want to use this cockpit for my Minmus shuttle. Good luck getting it to work, and don't be that afraid of IVAs! Without IVAs, Jeb is sad as he has no place to seat.

I hope to have a release out within a few days. I'm currently finishing up a third cockpit that should be useful for rovers/VTOLS and finalizing balance tweaks for the new engines.

Okay, wish you luck! Could you post a picture of that cockpit? Mk2 is in general a good form for rovers, so I'm very excited to see that.

Newer KSP player and I just wanted to say I love these parts !

Totally spitballing, but a suggested part may be a slim/thin Mk2 RTG (it has built-in RTG since I keep forgetting to add in power)?

Also maybe a weird request, but also a MK2 part with built in Solarpanels (ie it has maybe 4 solar panels built in that extend out)

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by jdubb
Fixed Imgur link (thanks MaverickSawyer)

Newer KSP player and I just wanted to say I love these parts !

Totally spitballing, but a suggested part may be a slim/thin Mk2 RTG (it has built-in RTG since I keep forgetting to add in power)?

Also maybe a weird request, but also a MK2 part with built in Solarpanels (ie it has maybe 4 solar panels built in that extend out)

http://imgur.com/a/Olsjd#CdBOhL2

Here, try this for the album:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Take the bit from the URL after the /a/ and put it in the following brackets:

[ imgur] and [ /imgur], without the spaces.

Edited by MaverickSawyer

Here, try this for the album:

-SNIP-

Take the bit from the URL after the /a/ and put it in the following brackets:

[ imgur] and [ /imgur], without the spaces.

Thank you! and corrected

Thanks. I don't use Quiztech, although quickly glancing at Quiztech's parts list I can see how they would synergize nicely.

They do. Both of your packs fill different aspects of the same niche. I have both, and will often find myself using bits from both packs on a regular basis.

I was thinking of making a MKII ISRU system with retractable drills, converter, and two tanks for ore (short and long). I was thinking of making it myself but I'm swamped with developing my mods wrapped around real life stuff. So, if you want to roll with it, I'm handing the idea off to you, SuicidalInsanity.

Since you making MK 3 parts, a MK 3 version would be cool too. :D

Edited by Eskandare

That would be simpler than stuffing ISRU bits in cargo bays; Mk2 ore tanks would be easy enough. I've never tried making drills before, not sure how those would turn out. Oh well, there's a first time for everything.

Huh, pretty sure I suggested that a while back.

Hmm.

Well, there are a couple of big issues with the idea:

One, you would need a better retrothrust system, and a rocket VTOL system in order to land the Mk2 hull.

Two, you'd run into some other issues with the typical targets of an ISRU system, since they're mostly airless rocks. It'd take a lot of thought... Well, maybe a set of super-gimbaled engines you could use alongside the quad-junction... Or...*ponders.*

I once made a rover intended to land on the moon like a plane (I later dubbed it the Bouncer because the wheels would pop and it'd bounce around for the next 2 km or so). Granted it was back in 0.18 or something, and it was a 1.25m craft, but I could probably manage a Dreamchaser-style Mk2 spaceplane under the same premise for mining ore.

Hmm.

One, you would need a better retrothrust system, and a rocket VTOL system in order to land the Mk2 hull.

Two, you'd run into some other issues with the typical targets of an ISRU system, since they're mostly airless rocks. It'd take a lot of thought... Well, maybe a set of super-gimbaled engines you could use alongside the quad-junction... Or...*ponders.*

Ummm... Big issues? This is Kerbal Space Program... So what is the problem? :D The problem can easily be solved by making the craft VTOL (if you're building a space plane) using small rockets or my soon to be released radial nuclear rockets. Land like you would a regular lander but before final touchdown, turn off the main engines and use the horizontal landing rockets. Or... Just mak a MK 2 rocket lander, or whatever... :sticktongue: Also I figured the MK 2 ISRU would be great for MK 2 rovers using the dropship style command pod. :)

Edited by Eskandare

Hmm.

Or, do a tailsitter. I did that with a little unmanned ship that I used to haul some supplies to a Mun base that was missing some parts. Worked great, and she could still do a rolling landing afterwards.

Not that I've gotten that far in KSP - Heh, I can't remember the last time I actually had time to play, starting up the game for part tests doesn't count - but can't you use the augers on asteroids as well? I agree about the rocket VTOL engine need, though, and the prototype model for the Rontgen would have served nicely as a retro-rocket nosecone... Hmmm. Challenge accepted.

Not that I've gotten that far in KSP - Heh, I can't remember the last time I actually had time to play, starting up the game for part tests doesn't count - but can't you use the augers on asteroids as well? I agree about the rocket VTOL engine need, though, and the prototype model for the Rontgen would have served nicely as a retro-rocket nosecone... Hmmm. Challenge accepted.

Yeah, drills work when grappled to an asteroid.

Well, where are you going to mount the cockpit, then? I mean, I suppose that some finangling could create a way to stack two Mk2 hulls on top of each other with bicouplers, some cheeze, and the four-way hubs, but man it would be janky...