Mk3 Expansion - [KSP 1.12x] Version 1.6 [10/5/21]

2 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

The texture exists in the path specified in the omsEngine.cfg file. The problem is it's a deprecated part, so the texture cannot be accessed for use by the mod. There is something special about the Squad/zDeprecated tree that prevents using assets in the path.

I worked around it by copying the texture to my personal patches directory and edited omsEngine.cfg to point to the new location.

I figured something was fishy.. ive never had luck with zDepriciated folder...

I think i did the same as you but put em in the oms engine directory..ill try again tonight tho. Can you  share that part of the cfg for reference??

@Jesusthebird It's just changing the texture location in the MODEL node.

MODEL
	{
		model = Mk3Expansion/Parts/Engines/OMS/Model
		texture = Mk3Adapters, Squad/Parts/FuelTank/adapterTanks/Mk3Adapters
		texture = engineoms 1, ZZZ_Personal_Patches/Deprecated_Parts/OMSEngine_v1/engineoms 1
	}

I was just thinking about the texture issue i had the other day with the OMS engine and something came to mind. The SXT mod has an optional script file that copies squad textures to a folder that SXT uses(written by LGG if im not mistaken). I know its a strech as this is only 1 texture..but that script could be modified and distributed with this mod as well to copy/pasta squads depriciated texture. In case the not so savy wants to use the oms engine without the rig-ama-roll of manually doing it. Im ok with technical things but even I did it wrong in the beginning.

Just an idea for an otherwise simple solution that can be found by searching the thread.

Anyways thanks for your work suicidal. Its not ksp without your mk2/3 expansions. I love em!

@SuicidalInsanity I don't know if you have any interest in adding parts to the mod, but I have a couple suggestions.

One is an inline docking adapter with a standard size Clamp-O-Tron instead of the senior size docking port that's already in this mod. For my space stations I standardize on the standard size clamp-o-tron for transient traffic connections. I only use senior size connections for things that don't come apart often. With a Mk3 based vessel I don't really have a good solution that's streamlined unless I'm using the stock Mk3 cockpit with a docking port on it's nose. I envision a short part with sliding doors, so you don't have clearance problems with clam shell and the docking port extends to slightly clear of the outer mold line of the part. Use some of the excess volume for Monoprop tankage.

Another would be a RCS pack or even just a structural fairing to fill in the shoulders of the PPD-27 XL Cupola Cockpit to smoothly fair it into a 3.75 part. I actually have more use of this part as a 3.75m command pod than just a Mk3 part, but it doesn't fit as clean as I'd like. As a minimum, just a little filler part to fit the sides to clean up the transition. Even better would be a thin Mk3 adapter the thickness of the decoupler or probe core with the side fairings coming forward on either side of the mk3 part. 

j6Rab15.jpg

OMS engine is due to be retextured against the new stock oms engine anyway, so hopefully that will finally fix the thing.

The Cupola is in need of work, so I can add a size3 circular variant. For a 1.25m inline docking port, I'll see. Best way would probably be to add a ventral 1.25m port to the 2.5m inline, or build one into the service bay; having just a 1.25m port on a mk3 cross-section leaves a lot of excess volume.

2 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

OMS engine is due to be retextured against the new stock oms engine anyway, so hopefully that will finally fix the thing.

The Cupola is in need of work, so I can add a size3 circular variant. For a 1.25m inline docking port, I'll see. Best way would probably be to add a ventral 1.25m port to the 2.5m inline, or build one into the service bay; having just a 1.25m port on a mk3 cross-section leaves a lot of excess volume.

Thanks for considering these, but you can forget about the docking port. Over the weekend I found a part in another mod that gives me a telescoping docking port I can mount in a Mk3 service bay or cargo hold.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 4:40 PM, Tonka Crash said:

Thanks for considering these, but you can forget about the docking port. Over the weekend I found a part in another mod that gives me a telescoping docking port I can mount in a Mk3 service bay or cargo hold.

What mod/part cause I had no idea I needed that until now.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

M3X is a pluginless part mod, so it at least won't throw any errors with Kerbalism. Probably. That said, I have zero experience with Kerbalism, so you might try asking in the kerbalism thread, they would likely know more.

lunian, I'm going to need logs or similar, the M3X BigS wing lineup is working properly on my dev copy of KSP.

M3X Update 1.4.8.5 is up, grab it from SpaceDock or GitHub.
mostly minor fixes, also the Coxswain OMS is finally fixed.

21 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

M3X is a pluginless part mod, so it at least won't throw any errors with Kerbalism. Probably. That said, I have zero experience with Kerbalism, so you might try asking in the kerbalism thread, they would likely know more.

@Shaddow Phönix @SuicidalInsanity Kerbalism adds a few things to all parts with a crew capacity > 0, using a generic approximation to calculate a few relevant numbers (habitat part module, estimated habitat volume and hull surface area, life support system capacity etc.) Those generic numbers are based on the size of the parts collider and, while not accurate, will not be gamebreaking wrong. It will work. It could need a few tweaks here and there, maybe define some capsules as unpressurized or without life support capability etc., but all in all it will be playable.

I've look in to the logs and find nothing wrong, something I can think of that can go wrong is the data cache somewhere within KSP ,It may broke during update from KSP 1.7 to 1.8. 

just did is uninstall, delete KSP folder, reinstall the KSP and mod(s) and it works like a charm, thank you for your advice.

Edited by lunian

On 11/8/2019 at 3:01 AM, lunian said:

Updated ksp to 1.8 and found entire BigSWing section have lost Lifting Surface and Control Surface parameter.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Please, my entire resupply ship can't fly. :mellow:

Do you have FAR or Atmosphere Autopilot installed? There is a bug in KSP upgrade scripts which upgrade custom modules incorrectly.

M3X 1.4.8.6 is now up, which mainly fixes aerodrag issues that have come up with KSP 1.8.1
Get from SpaceDock or GitHub
Changelog:
-Model Rework: Mk3 Decoupler. Now hollow!
-Fixes drag cubes for Mk3 Drone core, Mk3 SAS, Mk3 Aligned Docking Port, Mk3 Decoupler, Mk3 Radial Mount
-Fixes Mk3 Service Bay not shielding its contents
-Fixes Service Bay LF/O missing texture

• 3 months later...

@SuicidalInsanity This is a bit of philosophizing about the CLEAVER in a rescaled 2.7x system (JNSQ mod), and a possible change request.

Your mk3 and mk2 mods offer a nice middle ground between stock and arguably overpowered OPT engines. The mk3 CLEAVER and mk2 scramjets make a good pairing for a fuel-efficient 3 phase ascent with JNSQ: 1) CLEAVER airbreathing climb and accelerate to 1300 m/s; 2) Scramjets to further accelerate through 3000 m/s; 3) CLEAVER closed-cycle as scramjets flame out around 38km

The late part of the scramjet phase often causes the CLEAVER to overheat due to drag. The CLEAVER is shielded behind a mk3 stack but aiming just a little nose-high causes overheating even though it looks like the engine is not sticking into the airstream. I wonder if the CLEAVER has a misplaced drag cube or other aerodynamic problem.

Possibilities include:

No change. That's valid since the overheating only happens with mods that rescale Kerbin and increase minimum orbital speed.

Examine the CLEAVER's aerodynamics. Even at 10 degrees nose high the CLEAVER looks like it's shielded from the airstream but it's definitely heating from drag. I can help with testing; I have zero experience with drag cubes but am willing to learn.

Boost the heat tolerance. This would be the easy fix (and is the one I adopted in my install). You might not want to do that with your mod if you consider overheating risk to be part of the CLEAVER's game balance.

Thank you for considering these comments.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi there, I seem to be having crossfeed issues with the Mk3 decoupler, as it seems to be crossfeeding fuel from my second stage to my 1st stage despite the editor saying that it shouldn't. First time I've ever encountered this issue before, and it only seems to be with this decoupler. I looked into the configs and everything seems to be in order. And yes, I have follow crossfeed rules enabled in difficulty settings.

Screen: https://imgur.com/he2YH9F

• 3 weeks later...