Mk3 Expansion - [KSP 1.12x] Version 1.6 [10/5/21]

Also, the Blackbird cockpit has been reworked:

http://i.imgur.com/tP8eiAN.png

Changed it to have a 1.25m node on the front and got rid of the crazy large windows. Its an improvement, but feels like its still missing some je ne sais qui.

Awful photoshop inbound:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Smoother front windows, remove the black chevron thing and make it one.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

I outright removed the black stripe, though.

Most high altitude aircraft use a matte black coating on the nose in front of the cockpit to reduce glare, although I suppose the kerbals could just wear sunglasses

@Nothalogh;I did not know that. That, and the stock mk2 cockpits don't have them. Guess I could re-add the stripe, though.

@CptRichardson;That would be an easy part to add, and gives me an excuse not to work on IVAs, so sure, I can do that.

Edited by SuicidalInsanity

You know what would be awesome?

Yfgm8Ag.jpg

These. These would be awesome. You've got I think all of the parts, but I've always liked these textures (especially the black on the nosecones). Also, I've just noticed that the nosecones have RCS on.

Basically, what I'm asking is if it's possible for you to recreate, as close as possible, these parts. It's a big ask, I know, but most is just texture tweaking (that said, I don't know how hard that is).. Pls to make?

You know what would be awesome?

http://i.imgur.com/Yfgm8Ag.jpg

These. These would be awesome. You've got I think all of the parts, but I've always liked these textures (especially the black on the nosecones). Also, I've just noticed that the nosecones have RCS on.

Basically, what I'm asking is if it's possible for you to recreate, as close as possible, these parts. It's a big ask, I know, but most is just texture tweaking (that said, I don't know how hard that is).. Pls to make?

Where are those from??

@ ObsessedWithKSP

nJq7V6W.png?1

Retextures of the nosecones and spadetail. To complete the genuine imitation Spamjet look, I also made a tricoupler. And yes, those RCS thrusters work.

@Kolage: An interesting concept, although as a landing gear, I would be a bit more comfortable with them as radial parts; I see no reason why the overall appearance would have to be different, but it would give more freedom to the player in building a craft in regards to gear placement, rather than trying to fit the craft around the gear.

@Kolage: An interesting concept, although as a landing gear, I would be a bit more comfortable with them as radial parts; I see no reason why the overall appearance would have to be different, but it would give more freedom to the player in building a craft in regards to gear placement, rather than trying to fit the craft around the gear.

Make them the same width as the stock probe core, or maybe twice as thick. The legs fold flush into the hull when retracted, hinging at either the apex of the bottom or at the sides depending on how you want to orient them. The feet swing around from where they're locked into place to adjust for landing, and a spreader/shock adsorber section extends to stabilize the craft. You could also use this design for hull-integrated wheels.

Other things that might help would be to potentially include a compact form-factor Mk2 VTOL rocket for the theoretical landngs on airless bodies that would use them, and a retro-rocket nosecone (could probably already be designed with existing parts, but would be easier with an aerodynamic part that could expose retro-rockets.

Edited by CptRichardson

Also, that hypersonic nose could do well to be turned into a single seat cockpit part, it could easily use the Mk1 IVA.

Actually, I'd say to turn it into a 'High Acceleration Cockpit' where the pilot is strapped in standing up to better withstand the G-force of being strapped to the front of a super-powerful engine, with lots of windows and a fancy IVA. Or maybe some kind of 'High Thermal Protection Cockpit', which in the description is lawyer-speak for 'we were too cheap to engineer windows that could handle getting punched in the face with atmosphere, so we're leaving this poor sucker to run this thing on instruments and cameras'. And then just put in the advanced Mk 1 IVA without the window.

So I got bored, and I did a thing:

n4Q3AjZ.png

preliminary WIP, but it looks like I'll be doing that mk3 expansion that people wanted after all...

Edit:

@Nothalogh: I'll see if I can't work the name in somewhere.

@CptRichardson: The dreaded return of the original Mk1 inline 'flying coffin' cockpit?:D I have been considering a cockpit like that, but nixed it because I thought it would need RasterPropMonitor integration. I never thought of merely using model trickery to use a standard IVA for 'One way glass'. I do have a fancy high-tech cockpit planned, though.

Edited by SuicidalInsanity

So I got bored, and I did a thing:

http://i.imgur.com/n4Q3AjZ.png

preliminary WIP, but it looks like I'll be doing that mk3 expansion that people wanted after all...

Oh hey! That's pretty freaking awesome.

Now we just need an IVA artist...

Well, I could fitz with the files to see if I could come up with a RPM module for it. I'd have NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING, but I'd Jeb the crap out of the project. Maybe put in a bunch of little camera holes to suggest that the cockpit view is in fact a great big LED screen that's all inside the hypersonic nosecone.

Edited by CptRichardson