Mk3 Expansion - [KSP 1.12x] Version 1.6 [10/5/21]

@Svm420; Thanks!

On a general note, Looks like I will end up taking my time, mainly due to incomplete documentation on 1.0X features.

Trying to test some new parts, but:

xM3AhpG.png

Does anyone know the proper Unity configuration for drills? I've searched through the forums, but no luck, and the trial and error brute-force approach to solving this problem isn't yielding any results.

Edit: Ver 1.6 is up, sans mining parts. I'll hopefully have them working by ver 1.7, but no point in having them hold up everything else.

Edited by SuicidalInsanity

That looks great!

Any progress on the Cyclops cockpit yet? Can you at least show an untextured model?

EDIT:

A few more part suggestions:

-Mk3 deployable wheels

-Mk3 solar array

-Mk3 massive fighter cockpit

-Mk3 chine/fuselage adapter to wing adapters

-Mk3 triple-mode engine

Edited by AJTheMighty

@AJTheMighty; Threw on a window texture to make them easier to see, but still very very WIP:

BEN13u6.png

I took some liberties with the design for 2 reasons - Firstly, to make it a little more 'kerbal', secondly because submarines in general make for terrible spacecraft; The idea of having a giant unreinforced glass dome on a space vessel, especially one that would be re-entering atmo (since it would be a spaceplane cockpit) just seems...wrong, somehow. That said, I'll probably enlarge the window apertures a little bit.

-Mk3 deployable wheels - kinda want to pass on this, if only becasue BD adjustable landing gear render everything else obsolete.

-Mk3 solar array - I have a few ideas for something along these lines, but no promises.

-Mk3 massive fighter cockpit - large-scale cargo/tanker/shuttlebus planes don't seem like the sort of thing you'd need a high-vis bubble canopy for. Make a convincing argument for it, and I'll consider one.

-Mk3 chine/fuselage adapter to wing adapters - The mk3 chines were designed to work as wing roots for the standard wing boards, and the fuselage extenders/saddletanks can do the same for the mk3 wing pieces. Or did you mean something mroe like a mk3 version of the mk2 spadetail?

-Mk3 triple-mode engine - what particular niche would this fill? I could see a dual cycle vac engine that could toggle between high thrust, low ISP and low thrust, high ISP being useful, but what would the third mode be? If its atmospheric, what advantage would a third engine mode provide over a RAPIER/ESTOC/CLEAVER/whatever rocketjet?

@SuicidalInsanity; This looks awesome and I agree with you 100%; glass bubble cockpits for mammoth MK3 spacecraft are a big no for Kerbal standards. :P That totally looks perfect for a rover, space tug, boat, etc.! And yes, go with enlarging the apertures. I think it should seat two kerbals. ;)

Plus, the hatch should be on the bottom of the cockpit. and you could include this in the end of the part's description; "Warranty void if any of the windows are cracked." :D As for the triple-mode engine, it should definitely be a vacuum engine and the third mode would be an atmospheric mode

Edited by AJTheMighty

That WIP gave me an idea - I'd like to suggest a B-29 style cockpit for atmospheric Mk3 planes, or maybe a cargo bay with a ramp? There's a ramp in SXT but the problem is it's curved weird so it's difficult to drive up/down.

Cargo ramp is coming from squad in 1.1

Oops, I'll have to fix that; behold the perils of ctrl-c, ctrl-v when making configs. Size 1 is how Squad refers to 1.25m parts. Not sure why I decided to use that instead of '1.25m' for the part description.

But SuicidalInsanity! It is a mk3 to 3xmk2 adapter! Are mk2 parts size 1?

@SuicidalInsanity: So is the Mk3 Cyclops cockpit done yet? If so, try and send another WIP image of it textured fully, alright? ;)

Are you ever going to get that he makes the parts he wants at his pace? Your post do nothing but make you seem quite immature and demanding like a child would be for a new toy. I hope you understand this at this point.

@CptRichardson;Get in the way? Like when docking with stations or interplanetary vessels, that sort of thing? Wings I think would be easier than tails, since people generally wouldn't be attaching things to a variable-geometry wing, but Kraken only knows what and how people attach stuff to a tail. A folding tail could probably take the form of some sort of telescoping boom, but would require IR integration. Wings - the main problem I can see would being able to control the wing's lift rating - a stowed wing is going to generate less lift than a deployed one; I think that would require a custom plugin to be written, and I don't want to think of what would be needed to make the wing FAR compatible

@AJTheMighty; It's alright, your desire to see the Cyclops cockpit is understandable; I think we've all come across mods we couldn't wait to see updated. But I'm just one guy, working at my own pace when I have time. Generally speaking, I try to have WIP shots of new stuff posted as it comes. And if I suddenly seem to change direction and start working on something else, Its not because I'm abandoning something, its either because I nave a sudden idea or a concept I want to get made so I don't risk forgetting it later, or because I want to take a break from a part to avoid getting burned out on it, to return to it later.

@CptRichardson;Get in the way? Like when docking with stations or interplanetary vessels, that sort of thing? Wings I think would be easier than tails, since people generally wouldn't be attaching things to a variable-geometry wing, but Kraken only knows what and how people attach stuff to a tail. A folding tail could probably take the form of some sort of telescoping boom, but would require IR integration. Wings - the main problem I can see would being able to control the wing's lift rating - a stowed wing is going to generate less lift than a deployed one; I think that would require a custom plugin to be written, and I don't want to think of what would be needed to make the wing FAR compatible

Couldn't you borrow whatever the game uses to animate cargobays or something? *Legit doesn't know*

@CptRichardson; ModuleAnimateGeneric could be used for animations, yes. The problem is that parts animated via this module won't affect anything attached to them - a telescoping tailboom, when retracted, for example, would retract, but anything attached to the tailboom, like tailfins/elevators/etc, would remain where they were; only IR can move parts, and any parts connected to the moving part. The other part of cargobays, ModuleCargoBay can be used to turn off things like ModuleLiftingSurface, but can't function on its self - any folding wing would require two parts - a wingbase/aeroshell/whatever mounting point with a ModuleCargobay, and the actual wing part that is mounted on the base part. An interesting concept; I'm tempted to throw together some prototypes for viability testing; I can see something like this being useful for things like building Duna-optimised planes that can fit in the fairing of a rocket for launch and so forth.

@NuclearNut; A mk3 nuclear jet is planned

@CptRichardson; ModuleAnimateGeneric could be used for animations, yes. The problem is that parts animated via this module won't affect anything attached to them - a telescoping tailboom, when retracted, for example, would retract, but anything attached to the tailboom, like tailfins/elevators/etc, would remain where they were; only IR can move parts, and any parts connected to the moving part. The other part of cargobays, ModuleCargoBay can be used to turn off things like ModuleLiftingSurface, but can't function on its self - any folding wing would require two parts - a wingbase/aeroshell/whatever mounting point with a ModuleCargobay, and the actual wing part that is mounted on the base part. An interesting concept; I'm tempted to throw together some prototypes for viability testing; I can see something like this being useful for things like building Duna-optimised planes that can fit in the fairing of a rocket for launch and so forth.

@NuclearNut; A mk3 nuclear jet is planned

Well, for control surfaces you could borrow from OPT in design and use integrated control surfaces as a part of them (The flaps on OPT wings). For tailfins, the idea would be to take tall vertical or diagonal tailfins and fold them down to avoid smacking into anything sticking out of the station, and for wings a two or three piece foldup to minimize the distance they stick out (I'll have to draw a concept sketch for that). Putting things on them like engines or something would obviously be a bad idea, since that would put (relatively) vulnerable components in the way of reentry heat. For a spaceplane, you'd want to keep those high and out of the direct plasma stream on the body somewhere, and keep the wings low if you're making a folding-wing design.