Mk3 Expansion - [KSP 1.12x] Version 1.6 [10/5/21]

hey - I saw that the newest mk2 release has a [stock] reactor part. I am right now writing for myself a patch that will make make duplicates parts of it, so that I will have one of the fission, and one of the fusion, KSPI reactors, as well as the two different generator parts. I am wondering if it would be possible for you to create a model for a dedicated generator part... I can also just duplicate the reactor part for them, as I am doing now, but it is not quite as aesthetically pleasing - whichever you prefer, I guess.

Also, would you like to include the configs I am writing as a NEEDS[KSPI] patch in your release, once I have completed them? If not, I'll stick them on Kerbalstuff & CKAN with you and KSPI as their needs.

@ABZB: A generator part? The next bunch of parts I have planned for the next update are mainly mining/utility parts, so a generator, or something that could be re purposed as one is possible. I've never used KSPI, so I'm unfamiliar as to how power generator works in that mod - anything specific I should keep in mind? As for the MM patches, I can include them, it seems simpler that way.

@ABZB: A generator part? The next bunch of parts I have planned for the next update are mainly mining/utility parts, so a generator, or something that could be re purposed as one is possible. I've never used KSPI, so I'm unfamiliar as to how power generator works in that mod - anything specific I should keep in mind? As for the MM patches, I can include them, it seems simpler that way.

in KSPI, there are many kinds of nuclear reactor parts - basically there are seperarate parts for different kinds of nuclear reactions. reactors generate some combination of thermal energy (i.e. they get very hot) or charged particles (protons and stuff moving very fast). the electrical-power-making part is a separate part, there are two - one for each reactor energy-output. A few pics of a craft I built with the preliminary MM patches can be found here:

the two reactor parts are respectively a fusion reactor and a direct conversion (charged particle) generator. the ion engine is a VASIMR.

at the moment I am working on properly balancing the various reactor parts, etc - I am trying to determine what scale mk2 parts make sense to be (KSPI generators work with tweakscale, presumably mk2 should have stats corresponding to be larger than radius 1.25 parts, smaller than radius 2.5 parts - does anyone have a good cross-sectional area measurement of mk2?)

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by ABZB

• 2 weeks later...
does anyone have a good cross-sectional area measurement of mk2?)

The cross section of the mk2 form is about 2.49m2 based off dimensions pulled from a blender model and some back of the envelope calcs.

In other news, with time consuming IRL stuff mostly out of the way, made some progress

YArtHXX.png

WIP fighter 'pit IVA, still need to mess around with lighting and some model tweaks, should provide a nice field of view.

I also made some tweaks to the fighter cockpit model, and decided to expand it a bit

n8WolMq.png

Base models, still need to do UV maps and texturing

My thoughts were to include the other cockpits as either player installed 'bonus pack' alternative skins for the current cockpit or make use of the IFS mesh switch capability to give players some variety when building planes.

My suggestions for the next update(please use them):

- A Mk2 form-factor heatshield

- An inline Mk2 landing leg set for interplanetary VTOLs

- A slanted Mk2 to 1.25m adapter

- An ultra-high visibility glass "bubble" cockpit

- Mk2 xenon tanks

- An IVA for the Mk2 science lab

My suggestions for the next update(please use them):

- A Mk2 form-factor heatshield

- An inline Mk2 landing leg set for interplanetary VTOLs

- A slanted Mk2 to 1.25m adapter

- An ultra-high visibility glass "bubble" cockpit

- Mk2 xenon tanks

- An IVA for the Mk2 science lab

I can add a Xenon tank to my patch

EDIT:

Tanks now have also XenonGas and ArgonGas as of v 2.7, now uploaded to KerbalStuff.

Edited by ABZB

...or make use of the IFS mesh switch capability to give players some variety when building planes.

If that's possible, it would be really nice! They all look nice, but wouldn't want to clutter the part list. (Not any more than it already is!!)

@AJTheMighty;

The Mk2 Sci lab IVA and landing leg are already planned, and the included IFS MM patch gives the universal Storage Tank Xenon capacity.

-Mk2 Heat shield - the Mk2 parts are already capable of re-entry; What sort of use did you have in mind for this?

-Bubble cockpit - once I get the IVA working and stop it from Krakening, the CB-C cockpit will have something like that; or did you mean bubble literally, and want something like this?

f8f66YQ.png

@AJTheMighty;

The Mk2 Sci lab IVA and landing leg are already planned, and the included IFS MM patch gives the universal Storage Tank Xenon capacity.

-Mk2 Heat shield - the Mk2 parts are already capable of re-entry; What sort of use did you have in mind for this?

-Bubble cockpit - once I get the IVA working and stop it from Krakening, the CB-C cockpit will have something like that; or did you mean bubble literally, and want something like this?

http://i.imgur.com/f8f66YQ.png

Can we... uh, get that for giggles and 2.5 meter crafts?

Sure. Fun fact: that was the first cockpit (with IVA) I did for KSP, way back in the 0.23.5 era. I never released it, since I didn't think it was good enough, along with a bunch of other stuff that comprised my first foray into the world of KSP modding.

Since its not a mk2 part, what would be the best way of making it available? Github? Standalone kerbalstuff release?

Also, did some work on mocking up some radial landing leg concepts:

1pJfp1G.png

raw models at this point. Which leg variant would people prefer to see as a finished part?

Edited by SuicidalInsanity
edited for clarity

Sure. Fun fact: that was the first cockpit (with IVA) I did for KSP, way back in the 0.23.5 era. I never released it, since I didn't think it was good enough, along with a bunch of other stuff that comprised my first foray into the world of KSP modding.

Since its not a mk2 part, what would be the best way of making it available? Github? Standalone kerbalstuff release?

http://i.imgur.com/1pJfp1G.png

raw models at this point. Which would people prefer to see as a finished part?

errmermerme..... both are awesome, the legs have the advantage that ATM every spaceplane I build has to finagle those in somehow, or use the wheels.

On balance, I would have to say the legs.

Oh my word, that cockpit looks awesome! Yes, I DID mean a cupola-bubble hybrid, and I think it could have toggle-able emissives. I like the TIE fighter cockpit.

Here's some more suggestions:

- A Mk2 "Elephant" mini Mammoth engine, (Elephant engine)

- a relatively small Mk2 inline blanket solar array for decreasing part count

- and a greenhouse for long-term interplanetary missions (compatible with USI, TAC, and Snacks)

http://i.imgur.com/1pJfp1G.png

raw models at this point. Which leg variant would people prefer to see as a finished part?

2.5 meter part pack? At least it would have plenty of room for tankage of monoprop and electrics. Probably one hell of a wicked reaction wheel system. Also, definitely the one on the right. "Rawr, GRRR! ME STOMPUM GROUND!"

About the MK2 / MK3 heatshields, they would be incredibly useful in RSS / DRE or any large rescale mod

Plus it'd be pretty great to have realistic looking shuttles with the TPS on the bottom

IMG_0668_2.jpg

Actually about shuttles, it'd be really cool to have a MK3-1.25m tricoupler with rotated engine mounts

1422404275981.jpg

Edited by nalfz

About the MK2 / MK3 heatshields, they would be incredibly useful in RSS / DRE or any large rescale mod

Plus it'd be pretty great to have realistic looking shuttles with the TPS on the bottom

http://communicatescience.com/zoonomian/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/IMG_0668_2.jpg

Oooh... make it toggleable with Firespitter's texture switching. You'd need three versions on the cargo bays, but that wouldn't take any more textures, right?

Plus it'd be pretty great to have realistic looking shuttles with the TPS on the bottom.

Meh seems like a lot work/increased parts count for little gain configuring the parts to have their properties behave like the TPS is simpler and gives the exact same results. DR does this, but it can be set up this way in stock to. It just doesn't seem that interesting besides maybe adding say just textures with tiles that can be switched to. I use a resized system and this is how i do it minus a texture switch. Just IMO no offence meant :)

Here's an idea:

A "bulged" cargo bay.

Not super-guppy style, but with the belly and doors having a little more clearance for radially-attached parts on a 1.25m core. You could have a very short adaptor which has attachment space for batteries and other useful stuff.

Would the adaptor need bay-doors? I'm not sure, depends how you attach the satellite being delivered to orbit, and you need the length clearance.