Mk3 Expansion - [KSP 1.12x] Version 1.6 [10/5/21]

• 2 weeks later...
On 07.12.2016 at 3:43 PM, iZim said:

But i have more serious problem now. joints between Big-S wings and fuselage are not strong enough, that makes heavy plane(70t) wobble while turning, loosing aerodynamic balance and crash. Cant find any solution, even struts doesnt work.

I tried to reinforce craft with a struts, but that breaks the whole structure into pieces while in the air or even at runway. There is some kind of bug http://imgur.com/a/TPd5y

Edited by iZim

@iZim: That's bizarre, the side joints should be stronger than that.
With strutting, are you using regular struts or the Auto struts? I've found strutting a Fuselage extension or two with heaviest part auto strut(usually the fuel tank they're mounted on) or strutting the wings attached to the fuselage extensions with grandparent part  auto strut is sufficient to hold even multi-hundred ton craft together

had a productive morning today, so M3X is getting some new stuff

New Mk3 inline cockpit, will probably end up seating three, also got window emissives for the crew tank done and fixed the IVA orientation for it

XMWJX3I.png
Also got some Chine and fuselage extension RCS bits done
pAG4H93.png

I also finally got the radiator i promised way back in 1.05 done. No more cramming small TCS in a service bay.
kk8BdHu.png

On 18.12.2016 at 6:39 AM, SuicidalInsanity said:

@iZim: That's bizarre, the side joints should be stronger than that.
With strutting, are you using regular struts or the Auto struts? I've found strutting a Fuselage extension or two with heaviest part auto strut(usually the fuel tank they're mounted on) or strutting the wings attached to the fuselage extensions with grandparent part  auto strut is sufficient to hold even multi-hundred ton craft together

thanks for the advice about autostruts, didnt know about it. Still its a very strange that usual struts cause such destruction, this never happend before in my play, even with a bigger Mk3 vehicles.

Nevertheless, big thanks for you creating such a wonderful mod, this is what stock spaceplanes really needed. Just dont make it very complicated like netrea's mods or OPT) Ksp players need more imagination and skills, rather then loads of parts of all all kinds.

Большое спасибо!

More stuff for M3X
k7XNXvV.png
New heavy RCS block to round out RCS options for Mk3 craft. The prop engine will likely replace the elephant 2.5m jet since the stock Goliath rendered it more or less obsolete, and a superheavy SRB which can pull double duty for spaceplanes or as a lower stage for heavy rockets

Merry ChristKwanHanuFestiSol, everybody! Mk3Expansion version 1.3 is now up, grab it from the Usual Places.
Changelog:

Spoiler

Version 1.3
==============================
-New Part; Mk3 inline Cockpit
-New Part: RCS fuselage extension
-New Part: RCS endcap Fuselage Extension
-New part; 'Atlas' Mk3 SRB
-New Part: Heavy RCS block
-New Part: 'Hurricane' 2.5m prop engine
-New Part: RCS Chine Cap
-New Part: RCS Chine segment
-New Part RCS Fuselage Extension cap
-New Part: RCS Fuselage Extension segment
-Fixes Engine FX, no longer has interaction with Aero/mach FX
-'Elephant' size2 turbofan moved to HeavyAerodynamics
-Elephant moved to legacy parts pending depreciation
-'Wellington' mk3 turbofan moved to HeavyAerodynamics
-Mk3-2 cockpit moved to ExperimentalAerodynamics
-Chines and Fuselage Extensions moved to ExperimentalAerodynamics
-BigS wing segments moved to HeavyAerodynamics
-Mk3 circular Intake moved to HeavyAerodynamics
-Fixed cost of Mk3 science lab
-Docking ports now have CLS support
-Mk3 shockcone maxtemp increased to 2500
-Adjusted BreakingForce and BreakingTorque values for all parts
-Fixed Crew cabin fuselage extension IVA orientation - this will mess up crafts using the CCFX
-Crew cabin FX now has working light emissives
-cockpit lights now have Light AG by default
-Fuselage Extension parts moved to FuelTanks
-Fuselage extension crewcabin moved to Utility
-Crew Cabin Fuselage Extension now has airlocks
-Various part costs adjusted to be more in line with stock prices

Edited by SuicidalInsanity

Hey, I'm just working on a USI-LS MM patch for M3X but I have a question or two... 

What's your vision for the inline cockpit? I know the description calls it a bridge rather than a cockpit. Do you imagine, then, that it would have any room for sleeper berths or the like in the underside of it? The reason I'm asking is because USI-LS adds the idea of habitation; that is, how long a person can stay sane inside a given part. Unlike the Mk2 size, Mk3 parts are quite large, so it would be reasonable to assume that they could have enough room to support crews on longer voyages (for comparison, base USI-LS uses the stock Hitchhiker as its go-to part for increasing habitation). This of course would be provided that they were laid out properly. The Mk3 passenger cabin is a huge part, but given its layout and the fact that it's meant to stuff 16 kerbals inside, it's still only as comfy as an airline. Since you mentioned you're targeting 3 crew members for the inline cockpit, I think it would be reasonable for that part to also have quarters for those three "below deck" as it were. 

My second question is the same thing, but for the crew saddle tank. Do you see it as a seating position, or more of a common space? I know it's small, but given that it has a table and pretty decent windows, I could possibly make it a habitation multiplier (base USI-LS does this for the stock cupola, and I'll be doing it for the M3X one. The idea is that having the great view/anything different than just a seat inside a cylinder gives the crew a space they can visit for a little something different, even if that just means a place to sit and try to spot Jool way in the distance). 

I hope its just because I did something horribly wrong during installation or an incompatible mod but none of the BigS wing boards or the two swept elevons have any lift. Also the elevons don't move.

http://imgur.com/a/lpG4R

Mod list (in case its something here)

Spoiler
  • AoA Tech
  • B9 Aerospace (1.1.3)
  • B9 Animation MOdules
  • B9 Partswitch
  • BDA
  • Color Coded Cans
  • CRP
  • DMagc Orbital Science
  • Carrier Vessel eXpansion
  • Firespitter
  • IFS
  • JSI
  • KAS
  • KJR
  • Hyperedit
  • Carrier Accessories
  • Mark IV Spaceplanes
  • MIAD (?)
  • Mk2 Expansion
  • Mk3 Expansion
  • Modular rocket system
  • Modular Flight Integrator
  • Near Future Technologies (Construction/electrical/props/propulsion/solar/spacecraft)
  • North Kerbin Dynamics
  • OPT
  • Phoenix Expanded Weaponry (think that's what its called anyways)
  • Pilot Assistant
  • Quiztech Aerospace continued
  • SpaceY/SpaceY expanded
  • USI Suite
  • Heisenberg Airships

@Merkov: Based on the tentative IVA layout the inline Mk3 cockpit definitely has room for a captain's cabin/wardroom/officer's bunks/whatever - the accommodations would be akin to those on submarines, but there's living room for three kerbals below decks. For the crew saddle tank, depending on craft design it could easily be either - maybe go for a habitation value a little higher than the stock mk1 cabin but not as much as the cupola?

@wrench-in-the-works: I've tried M3X and the mods on your list that I could find and couldn't replicate the no lift/frozen control surfaces. They work on a clean install of KSP, so I know they work, but there's evidently a conflict somewhere; I'd recommend making sure all your plugins (firespitter, etc) are up to date, since out-of-date plugins can occasionally cause issues. If that doesn't work, temporarily move half the mods(not counting M3X) in your Gamedata somewhere else and see if the issue persists, and if it does, then remove half the remaining mods and try again, until the conflicting mod is identified.

1 minute ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

@Merkov: Based on the tentative IVA layout the inline Mk3 cockpit definitely has room for a captain's cabin/wardroom/officer's bunks/whatever - the accommodations would be akin to those on submarines, but there's living room for three kerbals below decks. For the crew saddle tank, depending on craft design it could easily be either - maybe go for a habitation value a little higher than the stock mk1 cabin but not as much as the cupola?

That sounds reasonable. After posting, I remembered that USI-LS actually includes some tiny radial cupolas. I'll probably just base them off that value (though your saddle tanks are bigger and heavier, so I'll probably scale the value up a bit so that they have the same mass:habitation rating.

If I actually learn how to model, I would like to make dedicated long-term living parts for Mk3 and Mk2 vessels, but for now my computer skills are pretty much limited to config files. :P

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Zero2944 said:

if still looking for requests, i would like to see a front load cargo door akin to the nose cargo bay from the Mk2 expansion, i love the idea of launching a small satellite from the bay and it just drifts out forward of the craft

I did a front cargo bay in my mod pack. http://spacedock.info/mod/764/SpaceMouse's very alpha parts pack

6 hours ago, Zero2944 said:

do you have any detailed pictures of this part, your spacedock page doesn't go into enough detail for my liking, and your pack is apparently outdated

It's the 3rd pic down. There's no plugins so it should run fine on the newest version. Also here.

Edited by SpaceMouse

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2016 at 3:46 PM, Merkov said:

Hey, I'm just working on a USI-LS MM patch for M3X but I have a question or two... 

What's your vision for the inline cockpit? I know the description calls it a bridge rather than a cockpit. Do you imagine, then, that it would have any room for sleeper berths or the like in the underside of it? The reason I'm asking is because USI-LS adds the idea of habitation; that is, how long a person can stay sane inside a given part. Unlike the Mk2 size, Mk3 parts are quite large, so it would be reasonable to assume that they could have enough room to support crews on longer voyages (for comparison, base USI-LS uses the stock Hitchhiker as its go-to part for increasing habitation). This of course would be provided that they were laid out properly. The Mk3 passenger cabin is a huge part, but given its layout and the fact that it's meant to stuff 16 kerbals inside, it's still only as comfy as an airline. Since you mentioned you're targeting 3 crew members for the inline cockpit, I think it would be reasonable for that part to also have quarters for those three "below deck" as it were. 

My second question is the same thing, but for the crew saddle tank. Do you see it as a seating position, or more of a common space? I know it's small, but given that it has a table and pretty decent windows, I could possibly make it a habitation multiplier (base USI-LS does this for the stock cupola, and I'll be doing it for the M3X one. The idea is that having the great view/anything different than just a seat inside a cylinder gives the crew a space they can visit for a little something different, even if that just means a place to sit and try to spot Jool way in the distance). 

Hello mate, do you have such a config file for the Mk2 Exp?

1 hour ago, canisin said:

Hello mate, do you have such a config file for the Mk2 Exp?

I posted a basic one in the M2X thread a while back. There isn't a whole lot there, mostly because there aren't really aren't Mk2 parts that really seem dedicated to long term habitation. I think the only thing I added was a life support recycler to the M2X science lab. I also added some basic MKS support, too, but I can't actually remember what all I did anymore. I know I made the M2X reactor behave like a USI reactor (only if NFE isn't installed) but I forget what else. 

None of what I've done has been checked against RoverDude's new balancing spreadsheet. 

6 minutes ago, Merkov said:

I posted a basic one in the M2X thread a while back. There isn't a whole lot there, mostly because there aren't really aren't Mk2 parts that really seem dedicated to long term habitation. I think the only thing I added was a life support recycler to the M2X science lab. I also added some basic MKS support, too, but I can't actually remember what all I did anymore. I know I made the M2X reactor behave like a USI reactor (only if NFE isn't installed) but I forget what else. 

None of what I've done has been checked against RoverDude's new balancing spreadsheet. 

ok thanks! i will look it up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...