Mk3 Expansion - [KSP 1.12x] Version 1.6 [10/5/21]

@Jivali: The Cyclone engine FX is a known issue, will be fixed next update.

@Steve_v: When the various IntakeAtm using engines were first added, I needed a way for those engines to function and receive intakeatm - standard intakes wouldn't work because they only take IntakeAir, installing integrated intakes on the engines worked, but was klunky and limited; writing MM patches to add intakeAtm to specific intakes would only apply to said intakes and wouldn't cover the rest, especially mod intakes, which would result in incomplete coverage and questions about why people couldn't get their engines to work with the intakes they were using, and along similar lines, making a few custom intakes for IntakeAtm would be limiting as people would be forced to use only those - A blanket MM patch adding it to everything allowed the engines to work, gave players the freedom to build as they want/use single intakes for airbreathing and non-airbreathing jets at the same time, and would permit the use of intakes from other mods. It's not a perfect solution, but at the time, it seemed the most practical way of solving the problem.

11 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

When the various IntakeAtm using engines were first added, I needed a way for those engines to function and receive intakeatm - standard intakes wouldn't work because they only take IntakeAir, installing integrated intakes on the engines worked, but was klunky and limited; writing MM patches to add intakeAtm to specific intakes would only apply to said intakes and wouldn't cover the rest, especially mod intakes, which would result in incomplete coverage and questions about why people couldn't get their engines to work with the intakes they were using, and along similar lines, making a few custom intakes for IntakeAtm would be limiting as people would be forced to use only those - A blanket MM patch adding it to everything allowed the engines to work, gave players the freedom to build as they want/use single intakes for airbreathing and non-airbreathing jets at the same time, and would permit the use of intakes from other mods. It's not a perfect solution, but at the time, it seemed the most practical way of solving the problem.

Well, it doesn't cause any serious problems I guess. But it does undo Squads hiding of pointless resources in the resource UI, add a second confusing set of buttons to every intake, and unbalance my finely tuned VTOLs...

Edited by steve_v

I'm having a problem with the Mk3 inline docking port, I can only use one of the two nodes. Once I attach something to a node, I can't use the other node for anything. I posted about it before, but never heard anything back about it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, little question : does the MK3 version of your mod work on 1.2.2 ? CKAN say no (but install it ...) and this topic seems to say yes. It's not clear for me.

Just saying that because my loading log launch many error on your MK3 mod (texture not loaded)

example of the log :

[LOG 18:55:58.769] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Mk3Expansion/Parts/Aero/BigSWings/elevonA/M3X_ElevonA'
[LOG 18:55:58.775] PartLoader: Part 'Mk3Expansion/Parts/Aero/BigSWings/elevonA/M3X_ElevonA' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 18:55:58.777] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'M3X.ElevonA'
[LOG 18:55:58.808] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Mk3Expansion/Parts/Aero/BigSWings/elevonB/M3X_ElevonB'
[LOG 18:55:58.814] PartLoader: Part 'Mk3Expansion/Parts/Aero/BigSWings/elevonB/M3X_ElevonB' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 18:55:58.816] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'M3X.ElevonB'
[LOG 18:55:58.839] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Mk3Expansion/Parts/Aero/BigSWings/elevonC/M3X_ElevonC'
[LOG 18:55:58.845] PartLoader: Part 'Mk3Expansion/Parts/Aero/BigSWings/elevonC/M3X_ElevonC' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 18:55:58.847] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'M3X.ElevonC'
[LOG 18:55:58.868] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Mk3Expansion/Parts/Aero/BigSWings/SegmentA/M3X_WingSegmentA'
[WRN 18:55:58.871] PartLoader Warning: Variable cryoPower not found in Part
[ERR 18:55:58.874] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'FNModuleCryostat'

[ERR 18:55:58.875] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleStorageCryostat'

[ERR 18:55:58.875] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleStorageCryostat'

[ERR 18:55:58.876] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleStorageCryostat'

[ERR 18:55:58.876] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleStorageCryostat'

[LOG 18:55:58.880] PartLoader: Part 'Mk3Expansion/Parts/Aero/BigSWings/SegmentA/M3X_WingSegmentA' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 18:55:58.883] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'M3X.WingSegmentA'
[LOG 18:55:58.896] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Mk3Expansion/Parts/Aero/BigSWings/SegmentB/M3X_WingSegmentB'
[WRN 18:55:58.899] PartLoader Warning: Variable cryoPower not found in Part
[ERR 18:55:58.903] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'FNModuleCryostat'

[ERR 18:55:58.903] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleStorageCryostat'

[ERR 18:55:58.904] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleStorageCryostat'

[ERR 18:55:58.904] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleStorageCryostat'

[ERR 18:55:58.905] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleStorageCryostat'

etc ...

@msnbcorp: M3X works in 1.2.2, the PartLoader errors you posted are harmless - unless parts have custom DragCubes defined in their .cfgs, the first time KSP loads a new part, it checks if it already has a DragCube, and if not, goes ahead and creates one; the PartModule errors are from some other mod trying to add a StorageCryostat module to the wing pieces.

• 2 weeks later...

Update 1.3.5 for KSP 1.3 is now up, grab it from SpaceDock or GitHub
Changelog:

Spoiler

Update for KSP 1.3
-New Part: Mk3 bicoupler
-Fixes MM patch conflict with GTindustries
-Fixes NFE issue with nuclear engines
-Model retetexture: Mk3 Inline Cockpit
-Fixes chine lift vector issue. Craft with chines will likely need to be rebuilt
-fixes cyclone FX vector
-Cyclone  Smoke FX working now
-Adds Agency/manufacturer tab support
-CLS MM patch updated
-Adds WIP Mk3 cupola IVA

Chines have been reworked to fix the LiftVector issue, which has a side effect of partially breaking symmetry; Craft with chines will need to be rebuilt. Mirror symmetry/radial symmetry works for placing them radially, but radial symmetry must be used to place them when using their stack nodes.

I'm trying to make a few adjustments to my tech tree. I am using CTT, and in the mk2 expansion there is a Mk2X_CommunityTechTree.cfg in the patches folder, which is great. But for the Mk3 expansion there is no corresponding file, even though my parts seem to be sorting themselves into the CTT nodes. I have looked everywhere, and cannot find where this patch is. Any help appreciated. 

EDIT: User error. Realized they are not actually going into any CTT nodes. 

Edited by Errol

• 2 weeks later...

They have attach nodes; they don't have docking port-side nodes, however. It's a stock limitation, the stock shielded ports behave the same way. You can get the dockingport nodes to appear with Editor Extensions, but that causes other problems with inline shielded docking ports.

Edited by SuicidalInsanity

• 2 weeks later...

@VenDei

I can't comment on the other parts you've mocked up but Sam Hall's Kerbonov Kn-2 Cockpit Module mod has a inverted mk2 - 1.25m cockpit and cargobay that might suite your needs. The mod was updated to KSP 1.2.2 but I don't know if its been updated for KSP 1.3 so I would proceed with care.

Hope this helps

Edited by Star-Eagle

Thank you for the suggestion, @Star-Eagle, but the maintainer of that hasn't been on the forums since january, so I'm not hopeful that it's still in active development. Which is a crying shame. But looking over what's in there it could still work fine.

Not to derail this thread, but with the ideas I have amassed in my scribblebook, I might look into modding myself and borrow as licenses permit. If it doesn't involve modelling, I can probably see myself do a thing or two.

On 4/18/2017 at 3:34 PM, Jivaii said:

I'm having a problem with the Mk3 inline docking port, I can only use one of the two nodes. Once I attach something to a node, I can't use the other node for anything. I posted about it before, but never heard anything back about it.

For anyone else who has issues with Tweakable Everything Continued, remove TweakableDockingNode.dll from \GameData\TweakableEverything\Plugins and you're all set.

I posted in the TEC thread for LinuxGuruGamer's assistance - it sounds like he might be able to add an exception for this part! We'll see!

Edited by Chimichanga

12 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

@VenDei: I can see modifying the cockpit to have a mk2i to 1.25m option and doing an inverted crewtank, not sure about the adapter crewtanks though. Perhaps hollow structural adapter variants instead?

I'd be cool with that! You picking up any of my suggestions would be great!

The reason I asked for the adapter crewtanks is compactness, but I can see how "overloading" a part with various functions might not appeal to everybody. After all, it does put those parts in a very specific niche.

11 hours ago, Chimichanga said:

For anyone else who has issues with Tweakable Everything Continued, remove TweakableDockingNode.dll from \GameData\TweakableEverything\Plugins and you're all set.

I posted in the TEC thread for LinuxGuruGamer's assistance - it sounds like he might be able to add an exception for this part! We'll see!

I am fixing this.  Watch for an update later today.

It has come to my attention that the recent Near Future Electrical update has broken M3X's NFE compatibility patch, this should restore functionality to the M3X nuclear engines for people running M3X + NFE:

Spoiler

@PART[M3X_Hades]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]:NEEDS[!KSPIntegration]:FOR[Mk3Expansion]
{
@mass = 12.8
MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleUpdateOverride
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = FissionReactor
		StartActionName = #LOC_NFElectrical_ModuleFissionReactor_Action_StartActionName
		StopActionName = #LOC_NFElectrical_ModuleFissionReactor_Action_StopActionName
		ToggleActionName = #LOC_NFElectrical_ModuleFissionReactor_Action_ToggleActionName
		FollowThrottle = true
		OverheatAnimation = ThermalAnim
		HeatGeneration = 130000	
		NominalTemperature = 3200
		CriticalTemperature = 3600
		MaximumTemperature = 3800
		CoreDamageRate = 0.01
		FuelName = EnrichedUranium
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = EnrichedUranium
			Ratio = 0.00027
			FlowMode = NO_FLOW
		}
		OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = DepletedFuel
			Ratio = 0.00027
			DumpExcess = false
			FlowMode = NO_FLOW
		}

GeneratesHeat = false
		UseSpecializationBonus = false
		AutoShutdown = false
		DefaultShutoffTemp = 0.90
		GeneratesHeat = false
		TemperatureModifier
		{
			key = 0 0
		}

}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCoreHeat
		CoreTempGoal = 3200					//Internal temp goal - we don't transfer till we hit this point
		CoreToPartRatio = 0.1				//Scale back cooling if the part is this % of core temp
		CoreTempGoalAdjustment = 0			//Dynamic goal adjustment
		CoreEnergyMultiplier = 0.1			//What percentage of our core energy do we transfer to the part
		HeatRadiantMultiplier = 0.05		//If the core is hotter, how much heat radiates?
		CoolingRadiantMultiplier = 0		//If the core is colder, how much radiates?
		HeatTransferMultiplier = 0			//If the part is hotter, how much heat transfers in?
		CoolantTransferMultiplier = 0.01	//If the part is colder, how much of our energy can we transfer?
		radiatorCoolingFactor = 1			//How much energy we pull from core with an active radiator?  >= 1
		radiatorHeatingFactor = 0.01		//How much energy we push to the active radiator
		MaxCalculationWarp = 1000			//Based on how dramatic the changes are, this is the max rate of change
		CoreShutdownTemp = 3800				//At what core temperature do we shut down all generators on this part?
		MaxCoolant = 2600					//Maximum amount of radiator capacity we can consume - 50 = 1 small
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = FissionFlowRadiator
		passiveCooling = 65
		maxEnergyTransfer = 130000
		overcoolFactor = 0.20
		maxLinksAway = 1
		isCoreRadiator = true	
		exhaustCooling = 2600	
	}
	!MODULE[ModuleAlternator] {}
	MODULE
	{
		name = FissionEngine
		Priority = 2
		HeatUsed = 2600
		TempIspScale
		{
			key = 300 0
			key = 1000 0.2
			key = 3200 1.0
			key = 7000 1.3
		}	
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = FissionGenerator
		Priority = 1
		PowerGeneration = 20
		HeatUsed = 65
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = EnrichedUranium
		amount = 200
		maxAmount = 200
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = DepletedFuel
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 200
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = RadioactiveStorageContainer
		DangerousFuel = DepletedFuel
		SafeFuel = EnrichedUranium
		// What enginer level is needed to transfer the safe fuel
		EngineerLevelForSafe = 1
		// What enginer level is needed to transfer the dangerous fuel
		EngineerLevelForDangerous = 3
		// Max temp for transferring fuel into or out of the part
		MaxTempForTransfer = 400
		// kW of heat per unit of waste
		HeatFluxPerWasteUnit = 5
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
	{
		@heatProduction *= 0.1
	}

}
@PART[M3X_NuclearJet]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]:NEEDS[!KSPIntegration]:FOR[Mk3Expansion]
{
@mass = 12.8
MODULE
	{
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = FissionReactor
		ToggleActionName = #LOC_NFElectrical_ModuleFissionReactor_Action_ToggleActionName
		FollowThrottle = true

HeatGeneration = 80000	
		NominalTemperature = 3000
		CriticalTemperature = 3400
		CoreDamageRate = 0.01

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 0.00027
			FlowMode = NO_FLOW
		}
		OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 0.00027
			DumpExcess = false
			FlowMode = NO_FLOW
		}
		// Disables stock converter functions DO NOT CHANGE
		AutoShutdown = false
		GeneratesHeat = false
		TemperatureModifier
		{
			key = 0 0
		}
	}	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCoreHeat
		CoreTempGoal = 3200					//Internal temp goal - we don't transfer till we hit this point
		CoreToPartRatio = 0.1				//Scale back cooling if the part is this % of core temp
		CoreEnergyMultiplier = 0.1			//What percentage of our core energy do we transfer to the part
		HeatTransferMultiplier = 0			//If the part is hotter, how much heat transfers in?
		CoolantTransferMultiplier = 0.01	//If the part is colder, how much of our energy can we transfer?
		radiatorCoolingFactor = 1			//How much energy we pull from core with an active radiator?  >= 1
		MaxCalculationWarp = 1000			//Based on how dramatic the changes are, this is the max rate of change
		CoreShutdownTemp = 3800				//At what core temperature do we shut down all generators on this part?
		MaxCoolant = 2600					//Maximum amount of radiator capacity we can consume - 50 = 1 small
	}
	MODULE
	{
		passiveCooling = 65
		maxEnergyTransfer = 80000
		overcoolFactor = 0.20
		maxLinksAway = 1
		isCoreRadiator = true
		exhaustCooling = 2600	
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = FissionEngine
		Priority = 2
		HeatUsed = 2600
		TempIspScale
		{
			key = 300 0
			key = 1000 0.2
			key = 3200 1.0
			key = 7000 1.3
		}	
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = FissionGenerator
		Priority = 1
		PowerGeneration = 40
		HeatUsed = 65
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = EnrichedUranium
		amount = 100
		maxAmount = 100
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = DepletedFuel
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 100
	}
	MODULE
	{
		EngineerLevelForSafe = 1
		MaxTempForTransfer = 400
		HeatFluxPerWasteUnit = 5
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
	{
		@heatProduction *= 0.1		
	}
}

On 02/07/2017 at 2:35 PM, SuicidalInsanity said:

It has come to my attention that the recent Near Future Electrical update has broken M3X's NFE compatibility patch, this should restore functionality to the M3X nuclear engines for people running M3X + NFE:

Reveal hidden contents

@PART[M3X_Hades]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]:NEEDS[!KSPIntegration]:FOR[Mk3Expansion]
{
@mass = 12.8
MODULE
	{
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = FissionReactor
		FollowThrottle = true
		OverheatAnimation = ThermalAnim
		HeatGeneration = 130000	
		NominalTemperature = 3200
		CriticalTemperature = 3600
		CoreDamageRate = 0.01
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 0.00027
			FlowMode = NO_FLOW
		}
		OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 0.00027
			DumpExcess = false
			FlowMode = NO_FLOW
		}

GeneratesHeat = false
		AutoShutdown = false
		GeneratesHeat = false
		TemperatureModifier
		{
			key = 0 0
		}

}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCoreHeat
	}
	MODULE
	{
		passiveCooling = 65
		maxEnergyTransfer = 130000
		overcoolFactor = 0.20
		maxLinksAway = 1
		isCoreRadiator = true	
		exhaustCooling = 2600	
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = FissionEngine
		Priority = 2
		HeatUsed = 2600
		TempIspScale
		{
			key = 300 0
			key = 1000 0.2
			key = 3200 1.0
			key = 7000 1.3
		}	
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = FissionGenerator
		Priority = 1
		PowerGeneration = 20
		HeatUsed = 65
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = EnrichedUranium
		amount = 200
		maxAmount = 200
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = DepletedFuel
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 200
	}
	MODULE
	{
		EngineerLevelForSafe = 1
		MaxTempForTransfer = 400
		HeatFluxPerWasteUnit = 5
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
	{
		@heatProduction *= 0.1
	}

}
@PART[M3X_NuclearJet]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]:NEEDS[!KSPIntegration]:FOR[Mk3Expansion]
{
@mass = 12.8
MODULE
	{
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = FissionReactor
		FollowThrottle = true

HeatGeneration = 80000	
		NominalTemperature = 3000
		CriticalTemperature = 3400
		CoreDamageRate = 0.01

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 0.00027
			FlowMode = NO_FLOW
		}
		OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 0.00027
			DumpExcess = false
			FlowMode = NO_FLOW
		}
		// Disables stock converter functions DO NOT CHANGE
		AutoShutdown = false
		GeneratesHeat = false
		TemperatureModifier
		{
			key = 0 0
		}
	}	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCoreHeat
	}
	MODULE
	{
		passiveCooling = 65
		maxEnergyTransfer = 80000
		overcoolFactor = 0.20
		maxLinksAway = 1
		isCoreRadiator = true
		exhaustCooling = 2600	
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = FissionEngine
		Priority = 2
		HeatUsed = 2600
		TempIspScale
		{
			key = 300 0
			key = 1000 0.2
			key = 3200 1.0
			key = 7000 1.3
		}	
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = FissionGenerator
		Priority = 1
		PowerGeneration = 40
		HeatUsed = 65
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = EnrichedUranium
		amount = 100
		maxAmount = 100
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = DepletedFuel
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 100
	}
	MODULE
	{
		EngineerLevelForSafe = 1
		MaxTempForTransfer = 400
		HeatFluxPerWasteUnit = 5
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
	{
		@heatProduction *= 0.1		
	}
}

So what do I do with this chunk of code? to which .cfg file do I add it and in place of what?

Also. I have noticed that the Seivert Nuclear jet engine has the same problem with the NFE control panel and in addition, it doesn't appear to produce any actual thrust. When you turn it on it sounds like it's running hard. If you cut off the IntakeAtm from the intake it flames out, but it produces 0 thrust at all times and any emissives that show up due to heating also don't take place.

Edit: I figured it out. You just have to replace the contents of the M3X_NFE_Functionality.cfg file in GAMEDATA/MK3Expansion/Patches (remember to keep a backup copy of the old file just in case).

I did notice that the reactors don't warm up evenly. They seem to sit and do nothing for what seems like a long time and then shoot up to operating temperature in a second or two. Also I finally realized that the Sievert won't produce thrust until the reactor reaches operating temperature. Since before your patch it never did, it never produced thrust.

Excellent work so far on the mod. I'm playing through my N+1th career mode (every time I get close to sending a mission to Duna, Squad released a new patch that kills my old saves and I have to start again) and just unlocked the nuclear engines :)

Edited by Magnavox

None of the M2X/M3X prop/fan engines require Firespitter. For the lift fans, it's possible that something has glitched if you're using one of the alternate fuel MM patches, but the prop engines should behave like any other engine. Can you give specifics/reproduction steps?

On 10/07/2017 at 11:48 PM, SuicidalInsanity said:

None of the M2X/M3X prop/fan engines require Firespitter. For the lift fans, it's possible that something has glitched if you're using one of the alternate fuel MM patches, but the prop engines should behave like any other engine. Can you give specifics/reproduction steps?

I do apologize. The mistake appears to have been mine. I went back and tested all your parts to see if they worked and they all did. I looked back at my original test vehicle and discovered that I'd mounted the Banshee lift fans upside down so that they where thrusting downward rather than upwards. 

have you considered giving the banshee's a thrust vectoring capability? I don't know what's involved in building animations into a part, but it would be nice if the banshee where mounted on a one or two axis gimbal, giving them thrust vectoring.