Control & Command

• Mk3 formfitting RCS blocks
  • Mk3 OMS pod
  • Mk3 Drone Core

Engines

• Mk3 sized dual cycle engine

Edited by SuicidalInsanity
updating parts list

Small suggestion - make the Mk3 parts a separate download to the Mk2 parts? Some people may not be interested in the Mk3 line and you're looking at serious amounts of extra parts here.. up to you though, I think they're looking groovy. I'm unconvinced on their usefullness to me - Mk2 is the super sleek tiny set, Mk3 is the heavy cargo set which doesn't really blend with the sleek hypersonic nosecones in my mind - but they're nice looking parts for sure.

@ObsessedWithKSP: the Mk3 expansion was from the beginning going to be a separate mod.

IVA progress for those WIP cockpits I posted earlier:

bsyrdYp.png

The quasi-Blackbird-ish cockpit IVA. Could use a second round of texture mapping/detailing. Lots of niggling little bits left to improve.

iGNGr8E.png

The other cockpit (really need a name for it). I'm much happier with how this one turned out. Not looking forward to filling it with props:(.

It's awesome, how this mod evolved. I really like it. Also those cockpit IVAs look very nice! Say, is the bottom one (is that the mk2-1.25m cockpit?) going to be a 3-man one? If yes, I know what I gonna use for my space shuttle! Like Kolago, I also would like a landing leg module.

It's awesome, how this mod evolved. I really like it. Also those cockpit IVAs look very nice! Say, is the bottom one (is that the mk2-1.25m cockpit?) going to be a 3-man one? If yes, I know what I gonna use for my space shuttle! Like Kolago, I also would like a landing leg module.

Its not the 1.25m-mkII one, it is this one.

YVdT1ut.png

I know I will be using it a lot myself. >.<

Something that might be really freaking awesome, and really freaking hard to make at the same time:

Aerospike wings. Control surface and engine at the same time, designed to match the stock shuttle wings, but with the control surface section replaced with a linear aerospike that doubles as a flap/elevator.

Aerospike wings. Control surface and engine at the same time, designed to match the stock shuttle wings, but with the control surface section replaced with a linear aerospike that doubles as a flap/elevator.

That's so ridiculous I want to see what it would look like

That's so ridiculous I want to see what it would look like

Like a wing. With a linear aerospike poking out the back. That shoots flames 50 feet back, scorching the sides of your aircraft black.

Come to think of it, there's a lot you could do with Mk3 wings, come to think of it. But that's after the Mk3 expansion.

Mk3 Science Lab? There is no single mod that provides us with horisontally oriented Science Lab.

There is this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/125193-Better-Science-Labs-Continued

But thats only for mk2 but he might make a mk3 viersion.

Pics in the older thread:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/94018-Better-Science-Labs

Edited by axe123

@Dr. Jet; My thoughts about a mk3 science lab? It would be a useful part, and would be fairly easy to create. The IVA, on the other hand... I already have two other IVAs on the backburner, and I'm not looking forward to them. I suppose I could always follow SQUAD's lead and use GenericSpace3 as a placeholder for a while, though...

@CptRichardson; Aerospike wings would fall firmly into the 'Awesome but Impractical' category, but I do plan on including at least one Linear Aerospike for Mk3.

On the topic of engines, what is everyone's thought on end-game engines? I have two new mk2 engines I made as a way of relaxing after working on cockpit IVAs, but I'm wondering what the best way to go about balancing them is, or If I should release them in the first place, since they pretty much render everything else obsolete.

The first was made as an experiment in nuclear jet engines, and resulted in an engine with infinite range on any planet with an atmosphere, oxygenated or not, and the M.A.T.T.O.C.K. (Multi Axis Thrust Toggled Operating Cycle Kombustion) dual-cycle engine:aBKvVJl.pngNo control surfaces? No problem!

I like the idea of nuclear engines and love the idea of mk2 form factor, but share the sentiments for balance. The main drawback with nucear power is the heat. So maybe the integrated reactor and engine combo is probably too powerful. It may be easier to balance benefits and costs with a separate reactor part that powers the engines that can have the cost of weight heat and whatever else. Seems like it would work other than actually making the reactor itself. Just an idea.

I'm completely fine with an endgame 'everything else is tonka toys comparatively' engine.

Another thing I just thought of: The Mk 3 inverter could have intakes on it. It's big enough to have at least two intakes the size of 1.25 meter rams.

OPT plane expansion provides one in one of its proprietary fuselage designs.

OPT? That fat behemoth? It looks like it never could fly not mentioning to reach space. Never used it...

There is this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/125193-Better-Science-Labs-Continued

But thats only for mk2 but he might make a mk3 viersion.

The other extremity. Tramping the laboratory in tiny space where two kerbals barely have enough place to sit? Bad idea.

Mk3 is the optimal size. A bit wider then 2.5m but suitable for realistic-looking spaceplanes... and fitting into 3.75m fairing if you don't want spaceplane but rather a groung base.

@Dr. Jet; My thoughts about a mk3 science lab? It would be a useful part, and would be fairly easy to create. The IVA, on the other hand... I already have two other IVAs on the backburner, and I'm not looking forward to them. I suppose I could always follow SQUAD's lead and use GenericSpace3 as a placeholder for a while, though...

Speaking about IVAs... Is there some comprehensive tutorial about windows? I'm pretty buzy with RealISRU parts now, but one day I'm gonna return to habitable parts experiments.

Edited by Dr. Jet

OPT? That fat behemoth? It looks like it never could fly not mentioning to reach space. Never used it...

Well, it's all a mess with the post 1.0 engine changes, but back in .90 you could haul into orbit like nothing else, with those Turbo-Ramjets from that mod.

They were big and unwieldy, but dear god were they powerful, you could go supersonic on the climbout and accelerate to orbital velocity at 45km and then circularize with the big aerospike.

And that's with a 100 some odd ton SSTO

I like end-game engines. KSPI has (or had) engines that ran on IntakeAtm. Yeah, they render everything else obsolete, but if they're end-game, you can't use them to progress as there's nowhere to progress to, you know. You can still use the 'old way' of course - it's how you've gotten this far, after all - but now you've 'won', your reward is a slightly easier way of playing the game.

Well, it's all a mess with the post 1.0 engine changes, but back in .90 you could haul into orbit like nothing else, with those Turbo-Ramjets from that mod.

They were big and unwieldy, but dear god were they powerful, you could go supersonic on the climbout and accelerate to orbital velocity at 45km and then circularize with the big aerospike.

And that's with a 100 some odd ton SSTO

It's mostly not doing so well because he hasn't had time to properly update the engines. He put out an emergency patch to fix the worst bugs, but it's mostly untouched. Of course, my big problem with the designs is that while WIDE, they lack the height to make use of that wideness, as they couldn't fit proper 3.75 meter parts in.