How to create a specific Tutorial

Hey all you Kerbals out there! I have a question for you. I want to make a tutorial that runs through a limited part count build and then fly it. When the flight is done I would like the tutorial to automatically reset to the building part. One more thing, it could also be a secenario, I don't care either way. Thanks everyone for your help!

Welcome aboard ;).

Anyway, by "tutuorial" and "scenario", are you talking about making something like those provided with the game, complete with pop-ups explaining what's going on? I've never tried to do that so have no idea. There isn't a "scenario editor" per se in the game AFAIK.

But now you've got me curious so I'm poking around in the files.... OK, the stock tutorials are in saves\training. This folder has a (tutorial_name).sfs file for each tutorial. It also has a subfolder called "Banners" with the thumbnail pics for all the tutorials, and each tutorial has its own subfolder as well containing a persistent.sfs file like with any of your own saved games, defining what's in play already. And that's it.

So it looks fairly straightforward. You start a normal career game and advance it to the point you want, then save it. This will get you the persistent.sfs file. You then need to create a saves\training\(tutorial_name) folder and copy your persistent.sfs file there. And take a screenshot, edit it to size and shape, and put it (appropriately named) in the \saves\training\banners folder. That just leaves making the (tutorial_name).sfs file that goes in the \saves\training folder.

Doing this latter task doesn't seem too hard. None of these files are very big and you could probably start by renaming a copy of one of the existing files, then tweaking it. There are a number of variables in there that I have no idea what they do, or what the effects of changing them would be, but you should be able to figure most of them out with a bit of experimenting.

Anyway, I have no idea if any of this will actually work, never having done it myself. But that might get you started.

Thanks, Geschosskopf. I appreciate your help! I wanted to know how I could modify the persistent.sfs file to the rules I wanted, but have the person doing the scenario actually build their own rocket. I'm thinking maybe I could make the scenario have a limited price build and a set objective that restarts the scenario when done. Thanks again!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.