Must I give up on KSP? I do not want it :(

Kar

Serious, I am really think about it.

I am all for realism, I use mods to enhance that part of the game, but since 1.02 and the new aerodynamic model, I cant fly anything straight. It's like playing a new game, maybe it is, and maybe I need to (re)learn the game.

I try almost every approach to get into orbit, simple rockets, perfect align, all of them tend to turn right. No matter what I do. Even simple parts because of their CoM turns right when are stopped.

So, what to do? I cant play like this, I am getting desperate, I really like a lot of the many changes the game got over the past year.

It's not been fun anymore, I know the trick of 10km 45º dont work, I saw many videos, tried to follow many suggestions here but I cant get it right. I am not a total noob in dealing with aerodynamic games (flight simulator anyone?), but KSP is not real.

With this in mind, I really prefer to get dumb, and play the 0.90 model of aerodynamics. I just want to get into my career build rockets and planes and fly for fun, building stuff in space, etc.

Is there any way to "dumb down" the aerodynamic model? I saw many options on the hacking console about the drag, heat, and so on, but those are things I do not understand.

I just really wanted to have 0.90 aero in the game. I never used FAR because of that, maybe I should have, still, its not fun anymore for me, having to struggle everytime I try to lunch a kerbal into orbit.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

yeah, this realism crap is killing all the fun.

I'm starting to regret buying the game, even considering uninstalling.

if I wanted realism, I wouldn't be playing with little green men in lego-style ships that has every non-explosive part, explode when a feather falls on it.

I liked 0.90 better, when FAR/NEAR were optional mods. now you can't even opt-out as it's forced upon you.

Edited by Xyphos

yeah, this realism crap is killing all the fun.

I'm starting to regret buying the game, even considering uninstalling.

if I wanted realism, I wouldn't be playing with little green men in lego-style ships that has every non-explosive part, explode when a feather falls on it.

What would you be playing? Orbiter?

What's the point of having a game which is meant to educate about space flight and then use a stupid pseudo-atmosphere.

D:

EDIT: I should actually put some substance in my post.

Honestly, I love the new aero to death. Flying feels so much smoother than what was possible in the old pudding of an atmosphere previous versions had. It's challenging for both rockets and planes, yes, and I can't get many large rockets into orbit anymore, but KSP is about challenge and overcoming these obstacles is where I find all the game's fun. Thing is, KSP is may not be primarily made to be realistic, but there should maintain high levels of realism in the most critical parts of real rocket flying. Aerodynamics is one of these aspects. However, I do think there should be a mod for the old aerodynamics.

Anyways, I don't see a very good ending to this thread, seeing how the many of the other "I don't like 1.x" threads got locked.

Edited by Thomas988

I've heard that if you change to a spherical drag model and have drag apply as acceleration it'll feel more like the old placeholder but I haven't tried because I don't like playing with placeholder systems. Alternatively, just change the drag multiplier to 0 or something.

If you haven't already, try keeping your rocket straight up till 25,000. On the G indicator to the right of the navball, adjust throttle as you go up so you are only at 1.5G's. If you speed up fast, try to throttle down to keep yourself under ~200m/s until you reach around 7,000.

Also, use the AV-R8 Winglet, it's available in early career and will allow you more control over your rocket when you're in the atmosphere!

Can you post the components of a rocket you are trying to fly so others can try it out and maybe give more detailed tips?

Just build an aerodynamic symmetrical rocket, stick control surface fins on the tail and do a proper gravity turn. It's really not that hard. And as a bonus you need less DV to reach orbit. The fact that you can actually fail if you don't pay attention to a launch makes it more fun!

Try turning more gradually. Turning to 45 degrees at 10 Km is too sharp a turn IMO. Keep the centre of the orange marker inside the yellow prograde marker until you're in the thinnest part of the atmosphere (I don't know; like 30-35 Km). I don't know whether that's efficient but it's certainly easy to control.

My god, are we still whining about this?

Personally I think the game has improved since earlier versions.

On some level, all of us think of ourselves as scientists or engineers, else we wouldn't be playing this game. Isn't the point of science to adapt to changes in experimental data??

Grow a set and be a scientist.

I have noticed that there is a difference between the 1.0 and 1.0.2 aero. I dont play 1.0.2 because i cant fly rockets whereas in 1.0.0 the rockets that dont work in 1.0.2 work.

to the OP and person below, you can change how the aero behaves in the debug menu, i dont know how much you have to change but it comes under the physics tab, you have to fiddle with the sliders.

That has nothing to do with realism, save the excuses for yourself. KSP is about acquiring necessary skills, and learning how to deal with the new gravity is easier than e.g. learning how to rendeszevous and docking.

Just don't go for the 10km/45 degree in new stock. Frankly, building rockets got a lot easier than in 0.90.

Try turning more gradually. Turning to 45 degrees at 10 Km is too sharp a turn IMO. Keep the centre of the orange marker inside the yellow prograde marker until you're in the thinnest part of the atmosphere (I don't know; like 30-35 Km). I don't know whether that's efficient but it's certainly easy to control.

Yep. If you manage to arrive at 40km with 10 degrees above level flight, then you can just rise the apoapsis and get a nice, reliable and fuel-efficient ascent. It's also important to start the gravity curve very soon. Going 85 degree at 1km and then staying inside prograde is a nice point to start.

Watch the new career guide from scott manley. I`m pretty sure that covers everything you could think of. I don`t know when he shows the gravity turn but it should be in one of the first episodes.

It`s not really that difficult. Make your rocket look somewhat aerodynamic, make it sturdy with struts, always build symmetrical and make sure you have good control via sas/winglets/engine gimbal. The biggest issue probably is the gravity turn but that will get easy after you have seen it once.

I think that 1.0.2 aero model is not so hard to adopt to. It's just a bit more realistic, but it does not spoil game fun. I still can launch asparagus kind rockets, I still ignore all aerodynamic fairings and I still do interplanetary aerobrakes without serious consequences.

So I disagree with idea that new areo model is too difficult or too realistic.

I feel like there's nothing more anyone can possibly say that hasn't already been said in other threads. Mods is it plausible to at some point add in the requirement to have a certain amount of posts before you can make a thread?

This way new users here are forced to actually read and seek the information needed? Because I fear this is going to get old and people are going to start getting short with new players.

Maybe there should be an "old aerodynamic model" switch in the settings. I remember the devs saying that modders, such as Ferram, can enable the old aero somehow so that their mod is compatible with 1.0. Just make this option available in-game.

If your rockets tend to flip while going up add more wings and control surfaces to the tail. May not look pretty but should always work. Of course it's not the most optimal thing to do but is easy at least.

... to me the game is far from realistic. Those guys who cry because of the new drag model are the same guys who want weapons and stuff in this game. They just dont want a science rocket game but another arcade game... this time with rockets

@Kar I was in the same boat as you. Been playing since 17.1 and had gotten use to the atmo-soup. (which I hated when I first started because I kept trying to do gravity turns.) Gotten so use to atmo-soup in fact, that I could design and launch just about anything and get it into orbit. The whole launch phase was boring and routine. Then 1.0 and 1.02 popped and yikes, it was crash and burn every time. So I watched a few videos, read a bit on the forum and relearned how to fly. That's all you have to do. Look at the game with fresh eyes and relearn how to fly. if this old leatherneck can do it, so can you.

Are you kidding? This is only more realistic when it comes to lift calculations and it's not soupy anymore.

I managed to flip rockets in mid air multiple times and still make it to orbit.

Yes it's tough, but maybe you need more control authority? Or perhaps go slower lower in the atmosphere...?

I managed to flip rockets in mid air multiple times and still make it to orbit.
Interestingly, I've managed the same thing in RSS using FAR. I need to be high enough up, though, and the payload needs to be properly strapped down.

My angle is, I'm playing a fictional game, with fictional characters, in a fictional solar system with fictional planets that have fictional names, and I do not want any of this realism crap.

I liked it better when it was just science-fiction. all the fun has been sucked out of this game and there's no way to opt-out and get the fun back.

ever since the update every single one of my ships have exploded on the launch pad from random bullcrap structural linkage failures, even on old ships that once flew perfectly in 0.90. and when I do get one in the air, the air resistance pulls the ship apart and kaboom! there goes 15 minutes of work. I've spent a total of 3 days so far, and not a single vessel made it into orbit due to random explosions. I'm sure the new atmosphere is great and all, but holy hell, stop trolling me with the explosions, I can't even get one off the damn pad. struts explode, girders explode... how the hell does a girder explode?

Then maybe it's time you tried a different game. Or do what hundreds of people have been telling hundreds of others to do. Learn.

Learn what?

that every ship must explode on the pad?

that every ship must explode in mid-air?

oh look, another structural linkage failure. big surprise there.

god, I wish I had a way to record video, I'd show you what I mean. even the simplest vessels burst in to flames

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.