Memory leak on reentry?

I just had 2 crashes in a row during reentry with the same craft. It`s a small Minmus lander, so nothing too complex.

Since I know KSP likes to reach the 4gb ram limit rather sooner than later I checked the ram usage during the 2nd try. After loading the craft in orbit memory usage was about 2.3gb which should be save from any 32bit memory limitations (I currently have relatively few mods installed). The reentry takes a little longer since I come in shallow and from high up (Minmus) and heates up quite a few parts on the lander (no heat shield) but none are exploding. The game crashed again and I get a short glimpse of the memory usage in task manager for KSP and it`s over 3.8gb. Obviously the game will need more ram for all the aerodynamic and heat calculations but 1.5gb difference looks like way too much to me which leads me to believe there is a memory leak somewhere in this situation.

Sadly the game did not generate a crash log so there is not much else I can say about it. I just tried for a 3rd time and it looks like it`s consistent. Memory keeps filling up the longer the reentry takes. I don`t use any mods that modify atmosphere or heat calculations and the craft also is completely stock so I don`t think it`s caused by a mod.

Here is a picture of the craft during reentry (memory usage was over 3.4gb at this point, game crashed about 10 seconds later):

y21Wn2L.jpg

In case it matters my specs:

Windows 7

I5-2500

GTX 970

8GB ram

It would be great if someone could give me some insight on this.

Edited by Keras

The PPFX edge highlighting applied to heated parts is causing more memory to be used than normal, if you disable PPFX (it's in the main Settings and in the Esc menu settings panel) you'll be fine*.

*mostly.

Wow, this is crazy. Without the edge highlighting ram usage stays at 2.3gb the whole time. Is there any way to disable it only in-flight? I really like it in the editor but it`s obviously completely broken in-flight.

Piggybacking off sal_vager, there is also a memory leak with the temperature gauges. In order to reduce the memory consumption press F10 to disable them.

All the best.

Edit: I should really refresh my browser before I post... A lot goes on in three minutes. :)

Edited by SpaceExplorer
Added some stuff

This is that leak SpaceExplorer, it is being erroneously attributed to the gauges but is actually being caused by the edge highlighting, you can test this yourself by disabling PPFX while leaving the gauges on.

Keras, this will disable the gauges and the edge highlighting in flight.

This is that leak SpaceExplorer, it is being erroneously attributed to the gauges but is actually being caused by the edge highlighting, you can test this yourself by disabling PPFX while leaving the gauges on.

Cool, now I know. Thanks sal_vager!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.