Circumnavigation of the Mun

Hey everyone! I was going to test this new rover I made before I mass produce it and send it to all the planets, but then I saw the Elcano Challenge. After not very much thought it was decided that circumnavigating the Mun is the most efficient way to test drive it.:rolleyes: This mission will probably take a while... Let's get started!

Part 1

-KSC-

A 400,000 fund rocket takes flight! One booster is missing due to budget constraints (this is my career mode).

Wv1DTQC.png

Dumping the booster...

zoAenuP.jpg

Confetti

4IzFoYm.jpg

Stage sep! The core stage will return to KSC later, flowed by the upper stage.

KadQLBM.png

-Somewhere in LKO-

In the giant orbital spaceship hangarâ„¢, a nuclear tug is dispatched, along with a small crewed lander.

vrKARmd.jpg

-Later-

The two ships rendezvous, followed by me messing around docking things together, transferring fuel around, etc.

chFGssq.png

The nuclear tug boosts the rover with it's skycrane to a Mun encounter.

R4QhedL.png

Next up the crew lander/ship flys off to Minmus. Wait why Minmus?! Ah yes, you see, this mission requires a skilled Kerbal to drive the rover, but unfortunately KSC is all out of Kerbals... One which is already in space must be chosen. After careful examination and much discussion, it was decided that Bill Kerman was to accompany the rover, for he has elaborate training in the Art of Repairing Wheelsâ„¢. Bill's current assignment is to drive a fuel tanker, delivering massive amounts of LF from the minmus refinery to LKO. At present he is enroute to Minmus, but not if I can help it!

h4uFE4p.png

That looks about right... ._.

9TIjGgW.png

-Over the Mun-

TPp8quc.png

-Minmus Orbit-

I mange to catch up to Bill just as he was about to deorbit to the base, now I need to convince him to participate in this new mission.

IrGP2QP.png

Ok Bill is on board, back to the Mun!

xt4oDMp.png

Bill suddenly notices that the ship has 300 m/s delta-v left... uh...

t5KkeAC.png

-Later, back in Mun orbit-

Hey Bill, you're a bit short on fuel, in fact you have none left! Just bail out, I'll reclaim this ship later.

FCqfod0.png

Now that wasn't so hard was it?

o1LAVWr.png

Don't mind the radiation... it will be fine.

njsMFYu.png

y2bbV6D.png

Landed... Now decouple the skycrane! The crane is very low on fuel and has to limp back to the nuclear tug in orbit. This crane (if refueled) can land anywhere on the Mun, where the rover may then redock to either refuel for just leave the Mun.

CX3Xh61.jpg

So now a look at the rover. I don't have any special name for it yet, but I will decide on something soon. This rover was designed for all airless (including Duna) bodys, and as I said before this is the test run. I am aiming for convenience (speed) and reliability (I get grumpy if I have to quickload every 2 minutes). It consists of 6 rover wheels, which alone can speed the rover up to around ~25 m/s. There are 2 Ion thrusters for turbo boost, which can be used for accelerating the rover up to very high speeds and/or for getting up a steep hill. All of this is powered by one of those fancy new solar cell parts. For speeds over 60 m/s (which probably wont happen on this trip) and high impact resistance 4 aircraft rated landing gears are on board (also 1.0 made rover wheel's brakes almost nonexistent, so this rover cannot stop without the stronger landing gear brakes).

5ljVaZH.png

The start... And the end...

yQEu8j3.png?1

The rover is also equipped with the ore sensor thingy. This handy piece of equipment spits out the current Biome the rover is in, the coordinates, and the ore concentration.

JOArh3m.jpg

I have left Mechjeb off the rover to make this more hands on.

rDB6Itv.png

Jumping is very common...

Mee3sIn.jpg

In my opinion, the Mun is by far the hardest place to rove, because it has those nasty (but neat looking) procedural craters. It can be very disastrous (for obvious reasons) to drive off of a 50 to 1000 meter cliff wall (everything gets kinda smeared all over the surface like a swatted fly). I ended up spending a half hour just figuring out the safest way to drive. I settled on speeding up to 20 m/s using the rover wheels (to save fuel) and then boosting the vehicle up to 30-40 m/s with the Ions (and deploying the landing gears). Due to low gravity and very little wheel friction, once up to speed the rover does not stop, and thus needs no further ion/wheel power. That means I may not even have to refuel!

g3TlC5u.jpg

And this is what I meant by those "nasty craters." Normally when driving a rover you can just drive in a mostly straight direction for hundreds of kilometers, but doing that here means certain death... The course must be carefully plotted to drive around these craters. The course depicted in this image is only about 50 kilometers.

KO6HIqh.jpg

Progress so far. (displayed path may not be accurate, that is just what I vaguely remember)

24aCg6u.jpg

To Be Continued...

Edited by RocketPilot573

Part 2

[spoiler=]

-Somewhere on the Mun-

At this point Bill is cruising along at 40 m/s, with warp x2. Making great time!

iGDxo9F.png

B2qwPfK.png

The rover is strong enough to survive running over a bumpy part of the terrain.

LUYI2mI.jpg

Woa! On my phone one second and the next the rover is flying off a cliff! Apparently texting while driving is a bad thing... I blame Bill.

1QlTnS9.jpg

qoGgCeP.png

Coming out of the crater... Backflip time!

iPa8NgC.png

Approaching a rather large ditch.

O2BxHeZ.jpg

Yes, Bill, you have to go down there.

9TN0wtv.jpg

Alright, just go VERY, VERY slowly... No- NO!

N06CoIF.png

Smashing onto the ground at 20 m/s, do the brakes work? *brake grinding noises, rover speeds up*

5XBkZMX.png

Apparently not!:0.0: Thought I said in the last chapter that we wouldn't go this fast. Oh hey, new biome! There's nearly no ore in this place...

GqjALwf.png

The rover sustaining critical damages to the wheels, and tumbling wildly while I try to keep it from exploding. All the while Bill flooring the brakes.

0ESNXzc.png

Several kilometer later the rover finally comes to a stop, allowing Bill to fix the wheels. Why are we in this crater again?

l8O3YLa.png

Ah yes... The first stop on this grand journey! The anomaly appears to be a Monolith very similar to the one at KSC, but some dust from previous impacts seems to have buried it.

0VRZbvP.png

BLOYNVN.png

Progress!

A3AIZpP.png

To Be Continued...

Edited by RocketPilot573

Part 3

[spoiler=]

Next up is a 400 km stretch to the eastern Mun arch! Getting out of the Monolith crater a bit slow...

zKiyrBT.png

The fuel is starting to burn down, at this rate the refueling will be required somewhere around 200 km from the finish (rover has no backup solar panels).

bAQFOyy.png

Going into a very flat basin, for once no craters in the way!

J6ENMO4.png

l6o5pTQ.png

Bill, what did I tell you about driving too fast.

Z5sbnVN.png

I mean really... You're probably going to die.

i2O9q9p.png

Yet Bill and the rover somehow survives a +10g impact, I expected a quickload.

31JmAIc.png

At 100 km from the arch a marker appears in front of the rover, ah, that's a flag that I planted at the arch a while back... Which happens to be a very good thing since it's getting dark.

elYoKjx.png

mUi2xpV.png

Err, those headlights really suck. I have a bad feeling about this.

OcO4KYZ.png

Surprise! Random wrinkle in the terrain.

wT9vlTh.png

I can't see.

Li034CW.png

Finally! Just a few km to go, smooth sailing ahead.

OiKFPOC.png

Wh- Where did the ground go?:sealed:

1qVuM1x.png

Annnnd quickload! That's what I get for not installing flood lights.

Gy1DoL4.png

Finally... Here... Still following that marker!

CiDRaZW.png

Err sorry. Ran it over...

PlSAeLs.png

pDJrKHE.png

Shutting down the fuel cell for the night.

m4SV2TE.png

Flying up the arch!

6njfTi1.png

I don't even.

g4hro83.png

Progress report! An entire one third of the way around the Mun!!!

eJN9tLC.png

Edited by RocketPilot573

Part 4

[spoiler=]

After a long night Bill is now properly rested, lets continue the road trip!

JKr9yrP.png

The really dangerous craterâ„¢ is now visible do to the sun being in the sky.

j3ZklhW.png

Maximum power!

JcIYNsx.png

Leaping out of the crater.

L1KTaL5.jpg

The terrain up ahead is a little dull... Finally a break from having to path around cliffs!

hBuTPCY.png

Highland Craters... I thought this was a flat area.

CCK6r34.png

0ry3gM1.png

Interesting Valley.

70ScTb3.png

This giant hole in the ground is in my way... Go around it? I ain't got no time for dat!

iVBbOlX.jpg

JFBK6rX.png

Climbing the wall on the opposite side... Notice the navball (Note for those designing their own rovers: this climb is outright not possible without Ion engines, they really do help on low gravity bodies).

TYnAkmD.jpg

Backflip!

GbgO7Z7.jpg

Progress Report! The rover is very nearly halfway around the Mun.

hEwgYAR.png

In other news, the LF+O Fuel levels are sitting around 40%, the xenon fuel is at 65%. Due to the lack of solar backup there will be a refueling mission in the future. The main issue is oxidizer... That lander I used to pick up Bill from Minmus used up all the extra oxidizer I brought for this mission, there is no more in Mun orbit. I could get more oxidizer from the Minmus base, but that Tanker is also out of it (it needs BOTH LF+O for the Vernors, which is needed to dock to the base). I think there may be some sitting around in one of my space stations...

Edited by RocketPilot573

Part 5 (I put the chapters in spoilers to clean up the thread)

[spoiler=]

In part 5, Bill continues his road trip 'round the Mun!

Y956B5i.png

I finally bothered to name the rover... "Scorpion."

EdAnHJF.jpg

This is a pretty long stretch of the trip, getting dark again.

gf3SvOf.png

Whoops! Must always pay attention when driving on the Mun.

1Q6xr0C.jpg

Ah yes, the... International dateline is it called? Skipping to the other side of the map.

jPsdZVM.png

Urgent request from KSC! We need you to... Send us a report from the Mun's surface.

BYQaAoS.png

Gonna have to stop for the night.

US8AyiV.png

On to the next day! That's quite the canyon!

HvGq3eI.png

Using the Ions to power out of the ditch.

aRBAWul.png

Minor issues with the wheel.

dI1GDNK.png

The rover is heading into a very dangerous looking highlands area.

BcsGzqF.png

Hey! A little star thing on the horizon! Oh, it's Minmus.

rByAUKa.png

ClTGDjl.png

vQ2ov0j.png

What's this? Could it be?

thu2fIB.jpg

Another arch!

kpQEFaa.jpg

YxlcN3P.jpg

Jumping through the gate! If only Jeb where here to see... :cool:

0SxM8P6.png

QnBZdyP.jpg

Planting a flag on the 180 meter high rock formation.

Y0RKCqM.png

Nkhbjbk.png

Progress! The end is nigh.

wCZws7B.png

-Meanwhile in Kerbin Orbit-

4y7rvpY.jpg

Rr37amh.png

I really like that depot of yours! I'd like to know some details about it.

Good luck on the final stretches!

It's actually more of a parking garage than a gas station, the fuel stored is elsewhere. Here is an album that I posted on the subreddit a couple weeks ago.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It's actually more of a parking garage than a gas station, the fuel stored is elsewhere. Here is an album that I posted on the subreddit a couple weeks ago.

http://imgur.com/a/xAA5B

That craft is a true work of art! Better than anything I've ever conjured up. In fact, that's even better than my Laythe ore mining operations... 6 phases, and all for Liquid Hydrogen.

Part 6

[spoiler=]

-Somewhere on █████████-

Nearly done with the circumnavigation now! Now lets get roving! Wait a minute-

u32FPJy.png

Something doesn't seem quite right... Maybe I left the parking brakes on?

9gf7qUD.png

I think it has something to do with the Mun. I'm getting some weird readings on the Negative Gravioli Detector. Is that... Positive Graviolis?!

zgAVmS6.png

Hmm...

U4ufXmi.jpg

Might as well go and check it out.

p0EQfZM.jpg

e8fOs38.jpg

-On the Mun, Bill has fallen asleep while driving-

Bill! BILL! WAKE UP!

2bFrrgW.jpg

He's trying to tell KSC about some sort of dream, but who cares. Taking a nap while driving is not recommended.

9215AJ3.png

Going into some interesting terrain again. The other side of the Mun was much flatter.

vhYzOvR.jpg

HR89Khi.png

Lot's of hills.

u8H6s3k.jpg

Jeez that's a huge crater.

dcrVBso.png

Climbing out.

gVtB1aS.png

7LTtWmf.png

Progress so far. Sorry I only made it 100 km this chapter, I was a bit busy.

0SYjhGg.png

Edited by RocketPilot573

Part 7

[spoiler=]

Getting nearer and nearer to the finish line!

w4LpFan.jpg

Going through a flat, straight stretch of land (in between craters). Maximum speed!

1XeZs1F.png

UYt6LSh.jpg

BeJHyAh.png

Driving at typical highway speeds.

V8WlHwx.png

At the end of the straightaway is this crater, I don't generally like going through these because I have to slow down and inch off the crater edge at no more than 10 m/s, or else the rover will fly hundreds of meters into the air and crash.

IjQK40B.png

Using momentum plus the magical ion engines to climb this cliff.

bhizXfE.png

Also can't come out of the crater too fast for the same reason, this was only going 15 m/s.

MATjEKU.png

VGem1Jm.jpg

Looking at the current fuel levels, I might be able to make it without refueling... But only if I save fuel by stopping less for quicksaving. Just a reminder, I don't hold down W or set trim or anything, as due to lack of atmosphere I only occasionally use the Ions and rover wheels to accelerate to 35-40 m/s. Once up to speed it coasts for several kilometers.

xC6qhzU.png

Sunset again, this should be the last night though. In case I do need refueling, the shipment of Oxidizer is currently on it's way to the Mun. It will arrive by dawn.

RkY75js.png

Progress! I am eagerly awaiting the moment when the flag's maker appears on screen (at 100 km). I estimate that I'm 130 km from the finish, but first I must trek though the "Farside Crater." This is the first and only massive crater I will drive through, since going around would take too long plus require more fuel.

oph6g2R.png

Seriously, how long does it take to drive like 100 km? I tried roving a bit and i just gave up after an evening full of moving jsut 30 m/s and crashing every 10m. In the end I didn't even rove at all... :(

Seriously, how long does it take to drive like 100 km? I tried roving a bit and i just gave up after an evening full of moving jsut 30 m/s and crashing every 10m. In the end I didn't even rove at all... :(

The time varies considerably with both the rover's design and the terrain, both of which determine the rover's top speed. Assuming your design can handle 40m/s indefinitely over reasonably good terrain, that means 2500 seconds per 100km, which is 42 minutes. Each step of physical warp reduces this, so 22 minutes at 2x, 14 minutes at 3x, and 10.5 minutes at 4x.

The trick, therefore is to design a rover that's stable enough and strong enough to handle all the routine jumps and bumps you'll get on "reasonably flat ground" at 40m/s. It also helps to use one of the several methods that let you keep moving without having to hold down a key all that time.

PSA:

A very common mistake is using this wheel:

190px-Ruggedized_rover_wheel.png

The wheel has been seriously bugged ever since it was added. Once I tried driving a rover using them off the runway. The wheel randomly snapped for no reason, blew up the runway (???), threw the rover 100 meters into the air, and then the game crashed. Never use that part.

Edited by RocketPilot573

PSA:The wheel has been seriously bugged ever since it was added. Once I tried driving a rover using them off the runway. The wheel randomly snapped for no reason, blew up the runway (???), threw the rover 100 meters into the air, and then the game crashed. Never use that part.

What does PSA mean?

Anyway, I've never had such problems with the "Ruggedized" wheels. The main issues I've had are it's low ground clearance and the power of its brakes, which means I always remove the front wheels from the default brakes action group. Otherwise, I prefer it to the long-handled, babypoop-colored ones as being rather tougher, having better traction, and using a bit less power.

But if you're interested in high speed for long distances, you can't beat the Small Gear Bay. It's the most durable wheel of any reasonably small size, can be made to steer, and its ability to retract means you can simply your ladder arrangement or even do without ladders entirely. The only downside is that it has no drive, which means you need a separate means of propulsion (or a custom ModuleManager patch to apply a motor to it). A separate propulsion system is good in that you don't have to hold a key down to keep it moving, but OTOH you consume fuel of some sort, which can limit range.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.