Space Shuttle Pack for ksp 1.0.4 dev thread

Mike-NZ

yeah id be happy to have a go at it.

I don't think you know how happy you just made me and I assume quite a few other users out there! You sir are a steely eyed missle man!

dawson-crying-gif.gif

new update is up for test. the SRB's are temporarily on standard decouplers while I do a bit more cfg work to them to add decoupler function.

please delete old CSS folder before this one goes in and don't forget to add the extra folders included to your gamedata folder. and the craft file included is called space shuttle 2 so it wont overwrite your current.

its not 100% but that's all I can do today so will finish tomorrow but its there if you want to play with for now.

V1.1.4

added FASA launch clamps

added new SRB's

Fixed TextureSwitch

removed pink stripe from External tank

Combined Crew cabin, RCS and nose together as a new part

fixed eva bug on crew cabin 2

enjoy!

- - - Updated - - -

this community is awesome. im proud to help out. truly enjoy it

I sure could. But I think unlocking one piece at a time wont work. Stock game does because your ship still works and just gets upgraded with new tech. But the shuttle needs it all at once.

Me personally I like to think im starting off in the current stage of real world. so I use the shuttle from the start and use FASA rockets.

I will look at the tree tonight and decice

@sp1989 I scaled down the new boosters to have the same diameter as the css ones which worked out to be 60%.

What I can do now is shrink the new booster down more but it will be thinner or I can just stretch it vertically down to keep its diameter.

What would you recomend

I think the issue with the boosters is that you're using boosters made for an SLS pack; the SLS boosters will be one segment longer than the shuttle boosters were, meaning that at the same scale the SLS boosters will be longer.

Also, the newest update of the shuttle produces quite a bit too much lift, and it doesn't seem to help with the aerodynamic instability mentioned earlier.

@cheech. good observations. But a quick study of the code in the cfg's and youll see that its not working even though it should. So I removed the firespitter fstextureswitch from the code entirely and replaced it. There are no compatibility issues between the two that I can see.

@sp1989 I scaled down the new boosters to have the same diameter as the css ones which worked out to be 60%.

What I can do now is shrink the new booster down more but it will be thinner or I can just stretch it vertically down to keep its diameter.

What would you recomend

I would say just shrink it down don't make them thinner. Not too much, just enough so the nose cones line up like in the picture I posted.

@FlyMeToTheMinimus. It seemed the longer boosters were more appropriate and these are the ones that were asked for so I put them in. Or have I got the wrong ones?

Also about the lift, I introduced lifting body to the cargo bay only on the previous update and the update previous to that I scaled up the lift On the wings.

I do notice it glides way to easy but at the moment its trial and error mostly relying on your feedback. so now I know I need to scale it back

I can upload the 3 cfg's that I will modify the lift on as a seprate download on page 1 tonight if you want to try it for me?

Just overwrite yours with the new.

Also what would you like done to the boosters? New ones or shorten them as in stretch it shorter or scale it down

- - - Updated - - -

@cheech. yeah shure. did you modify it to get it going?

Edited by Mike-NZ

@FlyMeToTheMinimus. It seemed the longer boosters were more appropriate and these are the ones that were asked for so I put them in. Or have I got the wrong ones?

They are the SLS 5 segment boosters. The shuttle boosters were 4 segment. No amount of scaling is going to fix it because making the booster shorter disproportionally will not just shorten the "tube" section it will smush the nozzle and bezel also and will look like crap. Do not shrink it, see if the guy who made it has the shuttle booster also or use the original boosters from the old version of the mod, they looked much better than the "new" ones.

Ok so here are the options. I will find the origional boosters or if someone can help me find them I would appreciate it. I can include all boosters in the download for the user to choose what one they want

Or

I can 'chop off' the top section of the sls5 properly in the model editor so it wont be distorted. It will then just be a 4 section

Or

someone find a good booster somewhere that someone has made and I can add it to this and modify whatever is needed

What do you guys rekon

Also for now the standard srb can be used for the time being if you dont like it

- - - Updated - - -

@cheech. It working but its not? You mean it works in other mods but not this one? I did try copying code etc but maybe my firespitter is broke. But atleast for now it works. Except the cargo bay. I want to edit its cfg anyway to make it so kerbals on eva can interact with it

Edited by Mike-NZ

@ iDisOrder thanks. Yeah it was a productive night for me. More tonight for you guys.

@ cheech there was just the one et texture not converted to dds for some reason I needed but forgot why.

the textureswitch would not have worked right before anyway because the code was pretty messed up bit now its cleaned up in the latest update so you can change bdtextureswitch to fstextureswitch2 if you want firespitter to take care of it.

As for the node sized I can easily do that tonight for you.

Also by old boosters do you mean the one I had on my earlier release that is still in the mod or the old old one I havent seen before that was on dragons first release?

- - - Updated - - -

Also it seems firespitter is buggy. It may be better to use the new plugin I used because we both had issues and so others may do aswell.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont have tweakable everything but it still didnt work. And I dont think everyone would want to update databases and get rid of tweakable everything if they use it. Once we work out a firespitter workaround or fix we can go back to it. Cool? Thanks for all the research your doing please keep me up to date

I was talkin about the old ones that are still in the download. If they were just longer to line up with the decouplers they would be perfect. I have all the firesitter stuff working now. I redid all the FSTextueSwitch 2 configs and edited my tweakable everything and its working so far. Ill post my files when im done but they are from update 4. What all did you change in 5?

I was talkin about the old ones that are still in the download. If they were just longer to line up with the decouplers they would be perfect. I have all the firesitter stuff working now. I redid all the FSTextueSwitch 2 configs and edited my tweakable everything and its working so far. Ill post my files when im done but they are from update 4. What all did you change in 5?

Yea but the ORIGINAL boosters looked like the ones several pages ago. Those are the boosters perfect for the decouplers.

I agree wit sp1989. You should 'chop off' the top section of the sls5 properly in the model editor so it wont be distorted. It will then just be a 4 section.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the node thing i was talking about if you look at the assembled craft there is a gap between the ET struts and the shuttle connecting it at the top.

@ sp1989. Thanks. I wil get the booster going and put a link on the first page as an addon for anyone who wants to dl it.

Hopefully tonight.

@cheech would you like me to extend the booster to be a bit taller?

In the recent update all part cfgs that had tetextureswitch code was rewritten

So to get yours going we need to modify tweakable everything and the part cfgs again.

About that gap between the et and nose if it was moved closer the bottom of the tank would clip inside the engine pod area. My plan is to stretch those top tank attach arms in the model editor. Will do tontight

Edited by Mike-NZ

@ sp1989. Thanks. I wil get the booster going and put a link on the first page as an addon for anyone who wants to dl it.

Hopefully tonight.

@cheech would you like me to extend the booster to be a bit taller?

In the recent update all part cfgs that had tetextureswitch code was rewritten

So to get yours going we need to modify tweakable everything and the part cfgs agai

I know I have made a lot of suggestions. You have in turn, AMAZINGLY done all of them. It's awesome. However at this point to save your time, energy, and efficiency if you decide and dedicate your efforts towards one path. At this point I trust you, and I think you will make the right decision. Honestly if you have to maintain three rhree different boosters and cfg for aerodynamics you're gonna get burnt out. So I recommend picking boosters and dedicating all your efforts at them. Honestly your work on all of them has been stellar.

sounds good to me. If you can get the boosters and ET to line up like in this pic http://thevirtualastronaut.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/STSstack.jpg that would be great. Also i figured out what part of tweakable everything was messing it up. It was the tweakable staging dll. I removed it and its all working great now. Here is my CSS folder for you to look at. I already modified all the part configs that are in Update 4. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/227008324/CSS.zip

- - - Updated - - -

Now if we can just get the arm working lol

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and btw there is a huge bug with the launch clamps. Its a KSP bug so we cant fix it but they will reappear during flight and explode your ship.