Space Shuttle Pack for ksp 1.0.4 dev thread

Mike-NZ

i wonder if op sees my posts?

Sorry lots going on....

yes I have the full gantry the shuttle launches from but not ready yet.

Also I would love to model in the x-20

uAIL70zNzW_mD_b0WsWZWPCzlNkNseEEAKJ8_dGqoml18CUN-Qjf37G4X5pHEzR5uIfkflfEvFTn6Tpa9RYt53OEebF0-cbuhTI=w317-h230-nc

- - - Updated - - -

I found another software to view the ISS is a bit complicated to walk in space but is very nice: click

Very nice thanks again

- - - Updated - - -

Also I did make the canadarm craft but forgot to upload sorry

i just have a question is this built for rss ro? because i did all what the install said and at launch it flips out like crazy i know its WIP but should i be scaling for rss?

Interesting.

If possible could you go into detail? Is it a glitch that happens before firing engines or flies up and pitches or rotates?

And do you have any mods like far installed?

Thanks

For the ISS solar array trusses, I think it would be wise to make them able to move in 2 axes, like the Balka array from the Kosmos pack (as well as because this is how they worked in real life). Getting full power will be impossible during the early stages of ISS construction in-game because the P6 (first solar array segment delivered) was attached to the top of Z1. Since the P6 is mounted vertically, the single axes (yaw) it uses won't allow it to collect sunlight at max capacity during day time because it can't pitch as the sun moves across the sky.

iss_sts108.jpg

Also something I researched a little into it, there's actually 2 "types" of solar array trusses. The P/S 3-4 trusses are different from the P/S 6 trusses. The 3-4 has a hexagonal structure, like this

1024px-STS117_Atlantis_Approches_ISS1.jpg

while the P/S 6 trusses have a rectangular structure

1024px-STS-119-discovery-from-ISS-during-RPM.jpg

Perhaps after more important work has been completed, it'd be nice to see a proper P/S 6 truss made.

Edited by LMRaptor

ok I have decided to separate the large solar panel mechanism from the truss for 2 reasons.

1, to give the truss end and the panels 2 directions of sun tracking.

and 2. if you break it off the panel in space (for whatever excuse JEB comes up with), disconnect the solar panel assembly, throw it into the orbiter, (or thrust it off into space or a return trajectory) slap on a new one and good to go!

this gives more servicing gameplay for those who want it

h06Fwrs.jpg

Not that I want to give you more work, but I'd just like to comment that I thought Bobcat's trusses, while they looked good, were really really empty. Im sure you've seen in all these reference pictures that the trusses are full of equipment and greebles and all sorts of things. Even if its just a texture inside, I would appreciate you making the truss segments feel a bit more solid than the frame of metal with canvas stretched across it from the Bobcat days.

Got a problem with RO/RSS...

I used CKAN to update a fresh KSP install with RO and RSS + all dependencies. Then I added the 1.7.3 Space Shuttle and the RO.zip adaption.

Seems the SRBs are somehow not supported for RO and don't load...?

will try to make something everyday for this mod. I just hope im making a good enough effort. im only 2 months experienced in modeling and modding...

everythings from scratch so takes time but will look better eventually.

but here is truss variant

TViLayd.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Got a problem with RO/RSS...

I used CKAN to update a fresh KSP install with RO and RSS + all dependencies. Then I added the 1.7.3 Space Shuttle and the RO.zip adaption.

Seems the SRBs are somehow not supported for RO and don't load...?

did not expect that. some sort of RO config error like a typo or a dependency issue...

will report back when I can.

maybe not 100% ready yet.

I still need to scale up the whole shuttle pack for rss

- - - Updated - - -

Not that I want to give you more work, but I'd just like to comment that I thought Bobcat's trusses, while they looked good, were really really empty. Im sure you've seen in all these reference pictures that the trusses are full of equipment and greebles and all sorts of things. Even if its just a texture inside, I would appreciate you making the truss segments feel a bit more solid than the frame of metal with canvas stretched across it from the Bobcat days.

yes... once its working good enough, detail can be added. but I think theres lots of people who are keen to just use the iss

- - - Updated - - -

O I C.

I will do some research

- - - Updated - - -

are there attachable radiators in the iss pack for this?

Z124.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

made a new type of solar panel for p5:

sFf6YdK.jpg

did not expect that. some sort of RO config error like a typo or a dependency issue...

will report back when I can.

maybe not 100% ready yet.

I still need to scale up the whole shuttle pack for rss

It can always be an error on my end but I did fresh install + RO + RSS and THEN copied the Shuttle parts on top... filtering by NASA the SRB cones where visible (yet listed as non-RO) whereas the SRB stack themself wasn't even anywhere in the parts list.

If someone else got it working with RO + RSS please let me know... then I will review my install process again.

Actually, you can node attach with KIS, provided that there actually is a node there. So in theory, you could dock a shuttle to the space station, use the robot arm to get the part close, eva a kerbal to the site, un grapple the part, and then have the kerbal quickly node attach on the end.

Actually, you can node attach with KIS, provided that there actually is a node there. So in theory, you could dock a shuttle to the space station, use the robot arm to get the part close, eva a kerbal to the site, un grapple the part, and then have the kerbal quickly node attach on the end.

I like this. Should I make this a thing? I wonder this would make the joints stronger.

Thanks for that

Ok I have studied this image

1200px-Truss_breakdown.png

So I dont need those other solar panels I put in as they are part of p4s4 just covered up by the end cap p5s5. And so p6s6 will have identical solar panel mechanisms to p4s4

- - - Updated - - -

With the grapple fixtures (number 12 in pic) must be for attachment to the orbiter. should I have these stay on the trusses or be removable to return to the planet (or fired off into a solar orbit as junk)

Edited by Mike-NZ

I like this. Should I make this a thing? I wonder this would make the joints stronger.

Thanks for that

I think make it possible but....i think the less dependencies the better. So make it an option but not required.

I think make it possible but....i think the less dependencies the better. So make it an option but not required.

Ok I can make it a dock type connection even though theyre bolted together, and have nodes for solid joints for those who have the mod. These nodes could also be used for connecting it all together in the vab if needed.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah, also, if Felbourn has shown anything, the more parts you have, the fewer fps you have there. in other words, KEEP THE PART COUNT LOW!

Hmmmm. So no extra parts like p5s5 endcap and replaceable radiators?

What I can do for example is make that s5 endcap part of s6, or have it mesh switchable for those who want to join the s5 seperately to s6...

mike, you don't need two different ways of joining the trusses. If you have a docking port on the end of the truss, it's counted by the game as a node. with this you can do normal docking, or you could use the KIS mod to node-attach the next truss part on eva. I recommend you give KIS a try before you come to conclusions about it, to clear up any misuderstanding of what you can do with it.

mike, you don't need two different ways of joining the trusses. If you have a docking port on the end of the truss, it's counted by the game as a node. with this you can do normal docking, or you could use the KIS mod to node-attach the next truss part on eva. I recommend you give KIS a try before you come to conclusions about it, to clear up any misuderstanding of what you can do with it.

Just with docking ports they wobble around and I figured it may turn the station into a wobly snake. Figured if we could make it solid it will be better. Maybe I can try in a personal install first.

But for a dock port it needs the cfg script to make it work and yeah I will try kas to understand it.

- - - Updated - - -

In other news:http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33524589

First images of pluto flyby

_84270464_p_lorri_fullframe_color.png