Space Shuttle Pack for ksp 1.0.4 dev thread

Mike-NZ

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get into orbit. I haven't been playing much KSP lately, so it hasn't been since 1.7 was released that I've actually tried to fly a mission (hence why this is such a late post). I can barely get my apoapsis to 100 kilometers with the weakened RS-25s. Is there a nominal ascent trajectory I need to take? Because I run out of fuel well below my previously normal operating altitude (usually inbetween 100 and 120 kilometers). My OMS engines are practically useless because I'm only getting 1/ms from them.

I apologize if I come off as complaining or whining, but this was my last option. I tried adjusting to thrust for the engines myself, but the thrust values would either stay the same or actually decrease, most oddly. I also tried to replace the 1.7 engines with the engines from 1.6, but they wouldn't load.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get into orbit. I haven't been playing much KSP lately, so it hasn't been since 1.7 was released that I've actually tried to fly a mission (hence why this is such a late post). I can barely get my apoapsis to 100 kilometers with the weakened RS-25s. Is there a nominal ascent trajectory I need to take? Because I run out of fuel well below my previously normal operating altitude (usually inbetween 100 and 120 kilometers). My OMS engines are practically useless because I'm only getting 1/ms from them.

I apologize if I come off as complaining or whining, but this was my last option. I tried adjusting to thrust for the engines myself, but the thrust values would either stay the same or actually decrease, most oddly. I also tried to replace the 1.7 engines with the engines from 1.6, but they wouldn't load.

Have you tried v1.7.3.1 or later?

Also are you using realism overhaul?

Thanks

Yes, I'm using v1.7.3

Also no, I'm not using RO.

I would recomend updating to the download on page 1. V1.7.3.2. Was released yesterday. And make sure you dont have a "patches" folder in the mods folder directory.

If you still have issues I can adjust the fuel etc for an easier orbit.

Is this version 1.7.3.1 or later mod?

Its a but and mod is in development so I must fix this bug.

I have a suspicion of either mechjeb or a part strength issue.

Can you try without mechjeb and see if it still happens?

Also are you able to see if the thrust goes way up at a certian point?

One more thing. Can you activate the no part damage and no ovetheat cheat to see if that alone stops it.

Thanks for helping problem solving

Anyone else get this issue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRZdpu2aEQA

I'll be honest with you, that looks like something broke with the game. That's not a flip out. That's Cthulu's Corkscrew of Death. I can't remember if you said you re-installed KSP or not.

Thats a Kraken I haven't even heard of, or did you make it up? You will get all the rep I can give you made that up.

Im gona try reinstalling KSP with a fresh install

Ok make shure you get the latest version of this mod too from page one here.

Sorry about the issues I hope it works out for you

I would recomend updating to the download on page 1. V1.7.3.2. Was released yesterday. And make sure you dont have a "patches" folder in the mods folder directory.

If you still have issues I can adjust the fuel etc for an easier orbit.

I updated to the newest version, but I'm still getting the same results.

Once my ET was drained, I had approximately 400 meters of acceleration to go in a 110x150 km orbit. My OMS was giving me less than 1/ms, and the estimated remaining burn time was over 5 minutes long. By that time, I'd be reentering the atmosphere!:D

If it's of significance, my payload is approximately 8.5 tons.

I don't wish to make you do something just for me, but instead of tweaking fuel consumption, could you make a patch to make the engines more powerful in vacuum, in case people (like myself) have trouble with the newer engines?

While I'm at it, I'd like to say your work is fantastic. I absolutely can't wait till everything is finished so I can build Space Station Freedom.:)

Once my ET was drained, I had approximately 400 meters of acceleration to go in a 110x150 km orbit. My OMS was giving me less than 1/ms, and the estimated remaining burn time was over 5 minutes long. By that time, I'd be reentering the atmosphere!:D

I don't wish to make you do something just for me, but instead of tweaking fuel consumption, could you make a patch to make the engines more powerful in vacuum, in case people (like myself) have trouble with the newer engines?

While I'm at it, I'd like to say your work is fantastic. I absolutely can't wait till everything is finished so I can build Space Station Freedom.:)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1lp6xlx6eevs672/enginesfix.zip?dl=0

try that.

if its good I will keep it for the future updates.

what it does:

*slight increase in ssme and booster thrust

*increase in specific impulse in all engines for longer duration burn without extra fuel requirements.

*double oms power

let me know if it too much.

im off to work so will get onto more editing later.

follow the folder structure and overwrite with the cfg files in download.

- - - Updated - - -

Reinstalled everything.

all fine can fly into orbit now don't know what was causing this issue.

good to hear.

its a shame I didn't know what I needed to fix tho...

Thats a Kraken I haven't even heard of, or did you make it up? You will get all the rep I can give you made that up.

Yes, I made that up, but it's not a Kraken. Cthulu is far worse better than the kraken and should be avoided hugged at all costs.

Yes, I made that up, but it's not a Kraken. Cthulu is far worse better than the kraken and should be avoided hugged at all costs.

The better of two evils lol

- - - Updated - - -

Let me know gow the patch goes if you get a chance, or anyone willing to try it out

So, decided to reinstall KSP, and give this shuttle another go. Results:

1. Enterprise has a pointy nose.

2. RCS thrusters on main shuttle need to be fixed. In this pic, I'm trying to TRANSLATE up, but the rear thrusters are not responding properly. Left thruster block ain't taking s*** from no one.

tumblr_nrcj4v9RtG1rpsnwro4_r1_1280.png

3. I'm going to attach jet engines because I can't NASA.

4. MechJeb needs to be updated for this new Shuttle based world.

unrelated to 4:

tumblr_nrcj4v9RtG1rpsnwro7_r1_1280.png

This might be helpful. The wiki page on the STS's OMS/RCS pods

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Orbital_Maneuvering_System

info of note, which will need to be Kerbalized:

[TABLE=class: infobox hproduct, width: 22]

[TR]

[TH=colspan: 2, align: center]OMS Engine[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH]Engines[/TH]

[TD]1 AJ10-190[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH]Thrust[/TH]

[TD]26.7 kilonewtons (6,000 lbf)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH]Specific impulse[/TH]

[TD]316 seconds (vacuum)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH]Burn time[/TH]

[TD]15 hours (maximum service life)

1250 seconds (deorbit burn)

150–250 seconds (typical burn)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH]Fuel[/TH]

[TD]MMH/N2O4[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I believe it's supposed to. It was the atmospheric test vehicle, and never went to space. It's probably used for instrumentation and monitoring things such as speed and drag

Exactly, though there were plans to convert it to be pace-faring, but it proved abortive

Yeah, Google does show up with the pointy nose variant, but not a lot. Plus, it looks like a model error in game. Also, this wasn't the issue I was hoping people would take a bite on. RCS thrusters!

Yeah, Google does show up with the pointy nose variant, but not a lot. Plus, it looks like a model error in game. Also, this wasn't the issue I was hoping people would take a bite on. RCS thrusters!

rcs ports on enterprise are covered up if you will notice on pics...

just for reference the enterprise is only ment to be used on my 747 for flight and landing only during career mode until the proper orbiter is unlocked....

- - - Updated - - -

This might be helpful. The wiki page on the STS's OMS/RCS pods

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Orbital_Maneuvering_System

info of note, which will need to be Kerbalized:

[TABLE=class: infobox hproduct, width: 22]

[TR]

[TH=colspan: 2, align: center]OMS Engine[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH]Engines[/TH]

[TD]1 AJ10-190[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH]Thrust[/TH]

[TD]26.7 kilonewtons (6,000 lbf)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH]Specific impulse[/TH]

[TD]316 seconds (vacuum)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH]Burn time[/TH]

[TD]15 hours (maximum service life)

1250 seconds (deorbit burn)

150–250 seconds (typical burn)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH]Fuel[/TH]

[TD]MMH/N2O4[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

yes that's what it is in the configs

Then that's the config you need for Real Solar System. IRL if the payload was over 10 ton's NASA used an "augmented" booster. AKA: double stuffed. They basically changed the burn times and amount of fuel in the srb's so that the main engines could run at a lower throttle in the lower atmosphere and thus saved fuel for later in upper atmosphere.

The augmented booster launches were also the slowest of the launches. If you graph out all the shuttle launches there are five that are below the average curve.

FYI: Challenger was the lightest launch (at the time) and was headed for the fastest launch speed when it had its accident.

Edited by Ford6