[1.0.2] Kerbal Parcel Service Challenge - fastest/cheapest to KSC2 on one turbojet engine!

That thing lands like a feather leaf! Wow, that is the boundary-pushing that I hoped to see in this challenge. Wondering if the same design principles for a 3-wheeled manned craft could compete...

Going to enter this soon, first a flight just to figure out where KSC2 is and place a marker probe:

http://i.imgur.com/P24LtGV.jpg

If you are planning on allowing different engine types, what about a seperate leaderboard for each? I'm particularly interested in seeing how a slow but efficient basic jet craft would fair.

Also, are you sure about the no autopilot rule? Particularly for slow craft with flimsy wings that can't handle time warp it really just means ages spent making adjustments to the craft.

Nice plane. Can I have the .craft? Geussing it's really slow because of stupid 1.02 wing drag... I created some structural wing panels so I might be able to help.

Nice plane. Can I have the .craft? Geussing it's really slow because of stupid 1.02 wing drag... I created some structural wing panels so I might be able to help.

Yeah, sure, it's this plane (I made it, Ace of Spades released it): http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/120305-1-0-MP-2-Seahorse-Multipurpose-Aircraft-(United-Aces-of-Jeb)

It is slow, but it makes up for it a bit by holding up under 4x warp and being able to fly quite a long way. The upside of all the wings is really good STOL performance, takeoffs and landings under 30m/s.

- - - Updated - - -

Not an entry since it uses basic jets, but I tried getting as low a fuel burn per second as possible:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Didn't get a screenshot of it landed with resource thing open, but it used about 75 units of fuel for 2 hours 12 minutes flight. So nowhere near winning this challenge and impractically slow, but kind of an interesting concept I guess. It cruises at less than 10% thrust and 90-100m/s so if there's ever a lighter, smaller jet engine or stock props added this kind of plane might become worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.