Kerbal Electric animated Turbofan engines - New : Low bypass KT-8D jet engine !

well, the collision mesh of the fairings is not round (and it's even more noticable as we reduce the bearing's size:p) :) and as the wheels have no suspensions, it's normal that it wobbles a bit - once it's spins at it's cruise speed though, the wobbling becomes much less noticable (same thing as that Mythbuster's square wheels test ! :P).

Hi !

Just a suggestion for night travel !

Light%20Engine.gif?psid=1

Just put mk2 illuminator & for circle light FX , but it's up to you ;)

Edit : You right that's not realistic , maybe just good for SCI-FI Craft !

Falcon%20Light%20Engine.jpg?psid=1

Edited by ZLM-Master

I'll see what i can do for a Leap engine - though these 'waves' might induce a high part count :P

As for helicopter engines, unfortunately, torque engines of this size are not enough (even with 11x 1.25m reaction wheels my tests for propellers barely reached 11m/s in this new atmo - horizontally on the runway !), and i'm not sure those bearing could easily support the weight of an helicopter.

• 2 weeks later...

these look great.. could I possibly make a request though?

since 0.90 or 1.0 not sure which... they killed off my favorate intakes... I used the disc shaped black boring intakes as radiator fans on locomotives.. the "new" ones which are like aerospike engines without the spike look ugly as hell and are far too large..

would it be possible to cut down one of these engines to have *only* the fan.. have it still be animated and use it as an intake fan?

Id love to have animated radiator fans on 4408 II and her sistertrains :)

(top of locomotive)

p2ZjZfY.jpg

doesnt matter if they consume any electricity or fuel I can adjust that accordingly

Thanks.. your work is great.. best of luck in the future :)

Edited by Overland

Wow, the new fairings are awesome for this sort of thing. You'd never be able to do this with any mod.

Nope, you can do this with Procedural Fairings, and even much more than with the stock fairings.

Edited by Azimech

• 3 months later...

It's not a mod :) it's stock subassemblies :)

You just put the subassemblies with your other .craft subassemblies, and radially attach the engine mounts subassemblies to your plane (you can use symmetry on those), then attach the corresponding engine subassembly 1 by 1 to each mount :) (stock fairings having the nasty habit of not being copied through symmetry :P)

You can also add the demonstration planes .crafts to your SPH folder, if you want to directly test those :)

Just read the instructions onto how to start those engines :)

Well, i used those basic jet engines (for the smaller engines) because it allowed me to carefully adjust them outside of the fairings :) (it's generally just on the limit between 'stored' and not 'stored' :P)

The decouplers and reaction wheels themselves work without problem within fairings :)

try to slightly translate the engines backwards - though i had positionned them specifically to avoid that :)

mmh - retested it, worked fine in 1.04 for me except for the cubic strut linking the jet engine to the mount which had the overheating bug :) (i simply replaced the cubic strut by a new one, and translated the radially attached I-beam to the correct position the and it worked fine - including the KE-90 thrust reversers)

Edited by sgt_flyer

Weird - do your log tell you that the cone was damaged by engine exhaust ?

As i told, on my install i had no such problem :) do you happen to have mods or stock bugfixes installed (or modified thermal values)

You might be experiencing the thermal bug here - one of the problems is that somehow some of the physics.cfg properties are saved in the .crafts files.

Try to remove the physics.cfg files from your KSP folder, restart the game to regenerate the file, and redownload the subassembly (i reuploaded the KE-90.craft subassembly - which works in 1.04 for me (though it likes pulling Gs less than before :P)

Edited by sgt_flyer

Weird - do your log tell you that the cone was damaged by engine exhaust ?

As i told, on my install i had no such problem :) do you happen to have mods or

You might be experiencing the thermal bug here - one of the problems is that somehow some of the physics.cfg properties are saved in the .crafts files.

stock bugfixes installed (or modified thermal values)

Try to remove the physics.cfg files from your KSP folder, restart the game to regenerate the file, and redownload the subassembly (i reuploaded the KE-90.craft subassembly - which works in 1.04 for me (though it likes pulling Gs less than before :P)

No, the engine wasn't activated or the craft launched yet. I just loaded the plane into the game, and the cone just heated up on the runway and exploded.

I just temporarily fixed it by removing the cone from the engine.

As for the stock fixes, just the memory leak one from the heating system.

Yeh, that's the overheating bug you got, if it was exploding as soon as the physics kicked in (a conflict between parts inside & outside of fairings). If you try to add a new cone, should work fine :) (but before that, delete your physics.cfg file and let the game regenerate a fresh one on it's next start :) - try to redownload the ke-90 now that i saved a working version in 1.04 :) (i had a cubic strut overheating due to that bug myself when i tried it - i replaced the strut and everything worked fine - but i already regenerated the physics.cfg file before :P)

I encountered the bug while working on a block I interstage - just regenerating the physics.cfg wasn't enough, the parts from the saved .craft kept overheating until i replaced them by new ones.

Edited by sgt_flyer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.