The current state of optimization = Are you crazy Squad?

anarkhon

I just look into the KSP_Data folder,there is lot of assets here.

I found some weird stuff like:

-you really using 2048x2048 size texture for 3 button? (back button,top bar)

-4096x4096 size textures for some smokes?

etc..

Lot of people have out of memory error problems,because Squad wasting resources in a noob way.

Just a note:planets using mostly 4096x2048 textures and of course planets are not buttons or smoke.

Sorry but im angry now,im fighting out of memory errors and watching the same ugly water textures about 3 years ago.

It would be a bit more useful if you reported this politely in the Support forum as a bug, rather than ranting here where Squad staff are very unlikely to read it.

Everyone knows Squad don't use the official KSP forums.

If you want to speak to them you need to use the Orbiter forums, Reddit, or Twitter.

The same places we get all out news and updates about the game.

If you want to speak to them you need to use the Orbiter forums, Reddit, or Twitter.

Just in case any one doesn't notice (which is likely as all we see is text, not any tone) he was probably being sarcastic.

You could try texture replacer mod which reduces the RAM used.

Also I think when KSP moves to Unity 5, then SQUAD was planning to optimise the game properly.

If only there was a weekly collection of news from the devs on the current situation of devlopment of the game.... Oh wait.

Yeah the 32bit RAM limit really reminds of Fallout3, New Vegas. They also had extremely limited RAM usage in vanilla game. 4GB RAM limit is actually not bad. The thing that really kills it is everything, whether needed or not, is loaded into RAM, which is absurd in modern day technology. Unity 5 port really can't come out soon enough.

- - - Updated - - -

If only there was a weekly collection of news from the devs on the current situation of devlopment of the game.... Oh wait.

Yeah it seems they have gone radio silence since the 1.0.2 came out, even though they went on vacation.

Yeah it seems they have gone radio silence since the 1.0.2 came out, even though they went on vacation.

Sure, if you ignore the Squad Castr that went up on Friday in which they said they were working on the next version now.

Lets not forget the UI is being completely redone because of Unity5 'issues' (not usable on 5) and 'new goodies' (didn't elaborate). The UI has been with KSP since the beginning, back when 'nobody knew what they were doing'.

Loosely 'quoting' Maxmaps...

The optimization that i want is more intelligent loading. If i start a rocket and forget something 3 sec after the start and i hit quickload... it takes up to 10 seconds to load the start again. It could just reset the rocket... it's not like i don't write software all day... wait

The optimization that i want is more intelligent loading. If i start a rocket and forget something 3 sec after the start and i hit quickload... it takes up to 10 seconds to load the start again. It could just reset the rocket... it's not like i don't write software all day... wait

That depends entirely on what is causing the loading time. "Resetting" the rocket requires the game to reposition everything from the persistence file (because all planets and orbital/sub-orbital vehicles will have moved) and put a multi-part physics-loaded object back where it came from. Your simple reset isn't quite as simple as you imagine it to be.

Every tick the objects move. Just write down the starting positions and move them there without physics. It is really not a hard thing to do. But loading times in KSP have never been state of the art. I can load gfx heavy games faster than i can start up KSP. They just haven't optimized it.

The optimization that i want is more intelligent loading.

That will help a lot, but won't solve the problem with using 4x4k textures for smoke effects.

Every tick the objects move.

Physics got little to deal with memory. Porting to Unity 5 will improve that part of KSP

They just haven't optimized it.

I point you to that comment:

Don't worry, they're doing a full optimization pass for Beta 1.0 Unity 5.

They're basically pushing optimization from one release to another.

Seeing their track record I very much doubt they'd get on improvements like that when porting to Unity 5.

And let's not forget about modders - devs should start doing something to encourage modders into optimizing their creations, eg. using DDS textures instead of TGA or PNGs.

devs should start doing something to encourage modders into optimizing their creations, eg. using DDS textures instead of TGA or PNGs.

Where it is possible.

Some mods cannot handle DDS it seems because they do stuff with them after loading - just something I heard.

And: Some optimization has already been done, load times at KSC are shorter than in the past for example.

I am not trying to sound harsh with this post (and is purely my own opinion that I am entitled to) but the people who say they write software all day or what ever they use in their arguments need to go and design and build their own space simulator that would obviously be better than what squad have put out by what Has bee said o these forums.

Squad has grown and with that come new objectives/priorities/demands. Trust in them to keep developing and pose your frustrations in a more constructive way rather than just coming across as ranting.

Edited by ToddEth

Some mods cannot handle DDS it seems because they do stuff with them after loading - just something I heard

Yea, there are some issues with DDS in mods - if devs could address them or build some guide for people how to avoid common problems or how they themselves prepare DDS textures for the game - it'd be a great starting point

And: Some optimization has already been done, load times at KSC are shorter than in the past for example.

Cause devs switched to using DDS textures themselves.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.