Real ISRU Development Thread

regex

All, I am considering gifting the repo for RealISRU to the RO Group on Github. In its current state this would mean a new fork or perhaps redirecting your personal repo to the new master (not sure, not a git guru). In truth I should have done this a long time ago and I apologize for that considering just how out of the loop I am on this and modding in general, and even KSP in a sense.

What say you?

E: I can even set a time for it in order to allow everyone to push their current changes so that forks can be made fresh if need be. Let me know your thoughts.

Edited by regex

• 2 weeks later...

All, I am setting the official repo move/gifting to Friday March 24th between 11:00am ~ 2:00pm PST. Make sure you've pushed/pulled/committed/<whatever the hell Git calls it> your work the night before I move the repo. This will give @stratochief66 and other RO maintainers more flexibility to work on the project. At the very least it puts it into the right hands.

@stratochief66 I just want to mention I had missed your comments on my fixes on the licquefaction array & drills' cfgs on github. I replied a couple of weeks ago stating this and now just wanted to let you know in case is relevant in light of the repo move @regex will be performing.

Best regards to all!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have my doubts that I will even get a reply, but I see some work was done on this mod this year at least and I was wondering what state it was in as I am very much missing ISRU from realism overhaul... It would be the only thing I think that is really missing, even cyro fuels have been fixed.

Edited by etheoma

@etheoma - I too would love a full ISRU suite for Realism Overhaul. I believe this has now been bundled with RO. Current available parts (if my memory does not fail) are as follows: Resource Drill that extracts water, hydrates and not much else I believe; Licquefaction Array, which liquefies gases such as Oxygen, Hydrogen, CO2, Methane, and maybe some others (its config file is very easy to understand, so you could tweak it to get your desired substance in there); Mars Atmospheric Scoop that captures CO2 from the atmosphere; and then there is a Water Electrolyser, a SABATIER unit, a Fischer-Tropsch unit, and I think that's pretty much it (again, I might be missing something).

In conclusion, with the mod in its current state you are able to mine hydrates at the Moon or Mars and get drinking water; you can produce Lqd Methane in Mars for fuel, and I believe (never tested) you could produce Kerosene at Titan as well. Again, these are only the limited uses I gave the hardware, but I'm almost certain there are more resources to be produced.

Edited by hypervelocity

@etheoma @hypervelocity

As to the state of the mod, I've been going over recipes and making sure that they are consistent and accurate as best I can. I've also replaced unrealistic power production parts (which I think were just for testing anyway) with more reasonable parts (10kW and 40kW Kilopower reactors). I wouldn't say it's complete but it's more so than when I started looking into it. Right now I think I'm *IT* as far as contributors go although I've had input from a couple of members in #RO.

So if you think there's anything missing or if something needs correcting, raise an issue at https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealISRU which I have write access to and I'll try to address it.

I probably won't be able to do anything with regards to models which is too bad because the Kilopower reactors could use decent models, especially the animated umbrella radiators.

10 hours ago, Starwaster said:

@etheoma @hypervelocity

As to the state of the mod, I've been going over recipes and making sure that they are consistent and accurate as best I can. I've also replaced unrealistic power production parts (which I think were just for testing anyway) with more reasonable parts (10kW and 40kW Kilopower reactors). I wouldn't say it's complete but it's more so than when I started looking into it. Right now I think I'm *IT* as far as contributors go although I've had input from a couple of members in #RO.

So if you think there's anything missing or if something needs correcting, raise an issue at https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealISRU which I have write access to and I'll try to address it.

I probably won't be able to do anything with regards to models which is too bad because the Kilopower reactors could use decent models, especially the animated umbrella radiators.

As long as I can mine and make LqdHydrogen most planets and moons I wouldn't have many complaints, because I usually use Nuclear thermal rockets so Hydrogen is all I need. Well apart from some form of mono prop.

Edited by etheoma

1 minute ago, etheoma said:

As long as I can mine and make Hydrogen most planets and moons I wouldn't have many complaints, because I usually use Nuclear thermal rockets so Hydrogen is all I need. Well apart from some form of mono prop.

One other thing you can do is use the liquefier to capture boiloff gas and reliquefy it. 

(the TANK node has to support the production of boiloff gas however in the TANK_DEFINITION and currently only the ServiceModule tanks do)

17 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

One other thing you can do is use the liquefier to capture boiloff gas and reliquefy it. 

(the TANK node has to support the production of boiloff gas however in the TANK_DEFINITION and currently only the ServiceModule tanks do)

Errr do you have to mod parts in to get them to work because I have RO installed and I don't have anything called a liquefier  or Licquefaction Array the only Sabatler Reactor is the one in Universal Storage and it makes Liquid Fuel, there is no Water Electrolyser, Fischer-Tropsch unit...

Edited by etheoma

3 minutes ago, etheoma said:

Errr do you have to mod parts in to get them to work because I have RO installed and I don't have anything called a liquefier  or Licquefaction Array the only Sabatler Reactor is the one in Universal Storage and it makes Liquid Fuel, there is no Water Electrolyser, Fischer-Tropsch unit...

Is it a career game and do you have the specialized electrics node researched?

Also... I haven't tested anything with modded tech trees so that could be a potential source of trouble?

3 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Is it a career game and do you have the specialized electrics node researched?

Also... I haven't tested anything with modded tech trees so that could be a potential source of trouble?

Nope sandbox, I am testing out craft and stuff now so I am doing Sandbox first.

Edited by etheoma

2 minutes ago, etheoma said:

Nope sandbox.

It should be under Utility then. It looks just like the fuel cell array since it uses that model

Edit: In fact it's just a +PART clone that's been patched to be a liquefier instead of a fuel cell array...

Edited by Starwaster

It should be under Utility then. It looks just like the fuel cell array since it uses that model

Well it would likely help to say that there isn't even a ISRU tab in the manufacturer filter, second there is nothing in there that even looks like a fuel sell as the actual fuel sells are under electrical, thirdly I searched the names and even the individual words so it would have show up if it was there.

Edit: In fact it's just a +PART clone that's been patched to be a liquefier instead of a fuel cell array...

Just to make sure we are talking about the 1.3.1 version of RO right? It's pretty old at this point so it seems silly to ask but they REALLY are not there. I think I vaguely remember there being some named like ISRU in the 1.2.1 version of RO

Edited by etheoma

8 minutes ago, etheoma said:

Well it would likely help to say that there isn't even a ISRU tab in the manufacturer filter, second there is nothing in there that even looks like a fuel sell as the actual fuel sells are under electrical, thirdly I searched the names and even the individual words so it would have show up if it was there.

Just to make sure we are talking about the 1.3.1 version of RO right? It's pretty old at this point so it seems silly to ask but they REALLY are not there.

No it's under category Utility because it was patched to be there instead of Electric. The manufacturer is 'Various'

Yes it is for 1.3.1

6 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

No it's under category Utility because it was patched to be there instead of Electric. The manufacturer is 'Various'

Yes it is for 1.3.1

On my installation it's not there

zwHqPWm.png

If you could stop assuming I am an idiot that would be great secondly.

Like I already explained how hard I looked, not only did I look manually, but I searched the for the items, I looked for the manufacturer which there is also no Various category... I don't know how else I can convince you that they are not there for me, and yes I used ckan to install Realism Overhaul.

thanks for your efforts @Starwaster!!!!

you are actually blowing my mind with the idea of recapturing boiled off gasses - would you mind explaining in detail how would I go about doing so?

@etheoma - take it easy pal, there's people trying to help out here - go look at the mod's folder, find the licquefaction array CFG, check the part name and/or manufacturer, look it up in the game - if its not there, your installation is corrupted.

ALSO: I play at KSP 1.2.2 and I *do* have a RealISRU folder under the manufacturers filter in the VAB/SPH.

Edited by hypervelocity

3 minutes ago, hypervelocity said:

thanks for your efforts @Starwaster!!!!

you are actually blowing my mind with the idea of recapturing boiled off gasses - would you mind explaining in detail how would I go about doing so?

Just use a ServiceModule type tank and it will produce the appropriate gas for O2, LH2, NH3 and CH4 automagically. There needs to be another tank to receive the gas. Then just use the liquefier to turn it back to liquid. Best used in conjunction with MLI (multi-layered insulation) and radiators. Except you would need to upgrade to RF for KSP 1.3.1 as we don't have an official release for 1.2.2 which supported player added MLI insulation.

You can patch the tank system to add boiloff gas production to any tank with the following patch. (it's a little brute forcish with no conditionals but it does the job)

One caveat in doing this is that any boiloff gas that is captured is NOT used for propulsive venting which is used for settling tanks. (that's why I only added it to the ServiceModule tank type)

@TANK_DEFINITION[*]:NEEDS[RealFuels]:FINAL
{
	@TANK[LqdOxygen]
	{
		%boiloffProduct = Oxygen
	}
	@TANK[LqdHydrogen]
	{
		%boiloffProduct = Hydrogen
	}
	@TANK[LqdMethane]
	{
		%boiloffProduct = Methane
	}
	@TANK[LqdAmmonia]
	{
		%boiloffProduct = Ammonia
	}
}

@hypervelocity So where would I find that, I did a search on a new install of KSP and Realism overhall with a new ckan and a searched the term licquefaction and array and it's not showing up, you said it is a separate file right, it's not in a config file, but file in and of it's self, well if so either Ckan is bugged, it's been removed from RO or I am the most unlucky person on earth to get two corrupted installs with the exact same problem.

Have either of you installed a new KSP 1.3.1 in the last 3 months and seen if it is actually still there?

Edited by etheoma

I also searched all the old 1.2.2 and 1.1.3 installs with RO and none of them have anything with licquefaction in it, and the only thing that shows up with array on it was a comms array and for 1.1.3 Solar Array.

Edited by etheoma

@etheoma Real ISRU is a separate download and install. You don't get it just by installing Realism Overhaul. And it has not been released to CKAN unless someone put their own branch of it up there.

If you did not download from https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealISRU  (click the green 'Clone or Download' button) then you don't even HAVE Real ISRU.

12 hours ago, Starwaster said:

@etheoma Real ISRU is a separate download and install. You don't get it just by installing Realism Overhaul. And it has not been released to CKAN unless someone put their own branch of it up there.

If you did not download from https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealISRU  (click the green 'Clone or Download' button) then you don't even HAVE Real ISRU.

Well that's not my fault, SOMEONE *Cough* *cough* @hypervelocity *Cough* told me it was. I am not mad in all seriousness, just nice to know I am not going crazy. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.