Real ISRU Development Thread

regex

Next one will probably be Fischer-Tropsch unit... Though photo I posted above is inspiring but NOT comprehensible... What is where and what connect to what? I need a scheme of connections... And a list of most important parts.

Hm-m-m... Maybe this one?

c2ee21798h-f4.gif

It looks much less complicated... Almost like this...

1053-CCF22665.jpg

Hm-m-m... Fischer-Tropsch is the barrel at left-bottom, no doubt. Quadratish thing seems to be a compressor... Steam methane reformer is either top-left or middle-right... which one? Then... where are cooler, heater and separator on photo? And what are those bottle-like thingies on the left? 

Edited by Dr. Jet

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @Dr. Jet, hope everything's doing great!!! :)

Just wanted to check on the development of this mod :$ don't want to pester or pressure you, just a kind message to let you know we are all really looking forward to what from my humble point of view is one of the best and most significant mods of the realism suite :D

Have a great day!

Edited by hypervelocity

Modelling is much easier than comprehending what exactly do you need to model. If you asnwer the questions in the post above,  Fischer-Tropsch unit will be ready in day or two. I have most subparts needed as ready-to use mesh, but still lack the comprehension of what is where. 

hK53RkT.jpg

Even omitting all small "uninteresting" parts...

1. Fischer-Tropsch reactor for sure.
  2. Compressor? 
  3. ??? Two hand-grenade-alike thingies linked together... In sum they have 4 connectors... Are those a separator?
  4. ??? 
  5. Looks like some electric stuff. Can be omitted in model.
  6. Another compressor? 
  7. ???
  8. ???
  9. ???
  10. ???
  11. ???
Edited by Dr. Jet

4, based on the connections, might be a reservoir for a built-in refrigeration unit.  I'm sure that a chemical process isn't heat-free, Endo or Exo thermic.  There's copper tubing wrapping around the reactor itself.  If that's refrigeration coils to cool it/heat it, then it would make sense.

If 4 is a reservoir for refrigeration, and 6 is a compressor, 9's likely a valve.

Still no advance with Fischer-Tropsch. I can't comprehend the parts. 

Though I've found a real industrial (non-laboratoric) FT-reactor cutted in half.

6.png

and promisingly short scheme of Haber-Bosch reactor. 

81d2032d74e0bee25e273550765c80d7.jpg

Edited by Dr. Jet

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would like to lend a helping hand, I am working on some private stuff for this that I will eventually submit a pull request for. However, I must ask, for construction, will this only use generic resources such as metals for electronics and making parts?

So did some research, #2 is definitely a Cooling/heating Unit -> http://www.pchemlabs.com/product.asp?pid=4954

But whats odd is it seems to be connected only to a power line.

On their homepage they claim they deal with the wax byproducts, so 3, 7 or 8 could be part of that. And they use devices for the start of the process, 4, 9, 10 and 11 come to mind.

http://www.xytelcorp.com/product-26/fischer-tropsch-synthesis.aspx

Edited by Navy2k

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for creating this absolutely wonderful mod. Since I'm unduly interested in Venus, I was wondering if you have plans around utilising sulphur compounds found there, mainly in well-known sulphuric acid decomposition reaction:

H2SO4 = H2O + SO3, followed by catalytic SO3 = SO2 + O

, and in this methane-sulphur dioxide reaction:

2SO2 + CH4 = CO2 + 2H2O + 2S

, that I found here: http://ase.tufts.edu/nano-cel/publications/directReductionSO2.pdf

These can be useful as a native source of hydrogen on Venus to get the same Sabatier + water gas shift going and producing methane as on Mars. Sulphur dioxide is 150ppm on Venus, and the acid forms the cloud layer, so realistically both can be considered a feasible output of an air intake?

If you have plans to add these, can I help by creating configs for these reactions and their thermal inputs/outputs?

Edited by nanomage
formatting went wonky

• 4 months later...
On 07.12.2016 at 0:23 AM, Kotagi said:

Any news on this? Is this still under development?

My latest pull request (Haber-Bosch module) is still hanging on GitHub unattended since august. So development seems to be frozen.

Most parts should work though, as they rely on stock modules. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Jet said:

My latest pull request (Haber-Bosch module) is still hanging on GitHub unattended since august. So development seems to be frozen.

Most parts should work though, as they rely on stock modules. 

I use 1.1.3. What version will it work for? I made a config that changes the mini isru to handle fuel conversion, but obviously it isnt realistic at all. Just converts ORE to UDMH/NTO/HYDRAZINE. Im stuck between wanting realism, and giving myself a reason to land here rather than there. I liked this because it looks like people have put in alot of hard work to make these realistic, too bad it isnt being developed anymore...I appreciate the answer though. Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

The mod mostly works like charm but there are few minor glitches:

RealISRU_IceDrill is drilling Ore instead of Water (easily fixable issue)
RealISRU_LiquefactionArray I was not able to make it work, I have H or 0 but no lqdHydrogen or lqdOxygen is made... any idea what is the issue?

Otherwise I really wonder why it is not released as it is, this mod can be only configs for MM and it would be already great and cool. Having own models and parts is just nice to have. I would really reconsider and go for release so it can be part of next RO/RP-0. 

On 12/28/2016 at 8:37 PM, makuclib said:

The mod mostly works like charm but there are few minor glitches:

RealISRU_IceDrill is drilling Ore instead of Water (easily fixable issue)
RealISRU_LiquefactionArray I was not able to make it work, I have H or 0 but no lqdHydrogen or lqdOxygen is made... any idea what is the issue?

Otherwise I really wonder why it is not released as it is, this mod can be only configs for MM and it would be already great and cool. Having own models and parts is just nice to have. I would really reconsider and go for release so it can be part of next RO/RP-0. 

I believe that you need to replace "lqdHydrogen" to "LqdHydrogen" (note the capitalized L) and do so for all resources (LqdOxygen, LqdMethane, etc.) 

Drills work fine as well.

I tried fixing the IceDrill by replacing Ore with Water but I couldn't make it work - I scanned & landed on the Moon (RSS/RO) but only found Hydrates, not Water, and hence couldn't extract it. Also tried replacing Ore with Hydrates in the configs but I don't think there are tanks for holding Hydrates and I wouldn't know about the conversion from Hydrates to Water :(

I also agree with your 2nd item! it would be great to have it as it is with the current models or just using the stock drills and parts!

EDIT: Config files you need to edit per the aforementioned - big thanks to @Sardaukar

• \Kerbal\GameData\RealISRU\Parts\scienceDrill\part.cfg -> Ore to Water
  • \Kerbal\GameData\RealISRU\Parts\MMparts\Refrigerator.cfg -> lqdHydrogen to LqdHydrogen (and same for all resources)

Edited by hypervelocity

57 minutes ago, hypervelocity said:

I believe that you need to replace "lqdHydrogen" to "LqdHydrogen" (note the capitalized L) and do so for all resources (LqdOxygen, LqdMethane, etc.) 

I tried fixing the IceDrill by replacing Ore with Water but I couldn't make it work - I scanned & landed on the Moon (RSS/RO) but only found Hydrates, not Water, and hence couldn't extract it. Also tried replacing Ore with Hydrates in the configs but I don't think there are tanks for holding Hydrates and I wouldn't know about the conversion from Hydrates to Water :(

I also agree with your 2nd item! it would be great to have it as it is with the current models or just using the stock drills and parts!

EDIT: Config files you need to edit per the aforementioned - big thanks to @Sardaukar

• \Kerbal\GameData\RealISRU\Parts\scienceDrill\part.cfg -> Ore to Water
  • \Kerbal\GameData\RealISRU\Parts\MMparts\Refrigerator.cfg -> lqdHydrogen to LqdHydrogen (and same for all resources)

I wasn't sure about capital letters, but you are indeed right. Anyway the refrigerator is not well balanced, it doesn't require electricity for its working and it seems too small. I was looking into this document http://www.linde-kryotechnik.ch/public/datenblaetter/datasheet_l70_lr70.pdf for liquidification device specification and performance just to check.

I wasn't testing the drills beyond KSC and after replacing ore for water it was working.
in \KSP113rss\GameData\RealSolarSystem\ResourceConfigs\water.cfg there is no mentioning of water at the Moon, however there is
\KSP113rss\GameData\CommunityResourcePack\ResourceConfigs\Water.cfg where it is mentioned as GLOBAL_RESOURCE means there is chance to find it anywhere I guess... (I wasn't able to find documentation to CRP that mention how is those flags like GLOBAL_RESOURCE processed in terms of priorities.

If you want to mine water on the Moon (after applying the before mentioned edits) you just need to select the right place. In my experience the poles have plenty of water, while other places like the Lunar seas have almost nothing. You can scan the Moon from orbit to select the right drilling spot.

Here's my water overlay map of the Moon:

http://imgur.com/a/CLsJm

21 hours ago, Krankenhausen said:

If you want to mine water on the Moon (after applying the before mentioned edits) you just need to select the right place. In my experience the poles have plenty of water, while other places like the Lunar seas have almost nothing. You can scan the Moon from orbit to select the right drilling spot.

Here's my water overlay map of the Moon:

http://imgur.com/a/CLsJm

thanks for the help @Krankenhausen !!! I did that and got the same water overlay map you shared, but after landing on these areas the drills read only Hydrates were available :(

I will try again and see if I am not confused, many thanks for the reply!

EDIT: Indeed, I was wrong like many times in my life :P I don't know why I got so fixated with Hydrates and ended up landing on an area full of them but with no Water around :S - tried landing where Water was available and had no problem extracting it, splitting it via Electrolysis, licquefying it with the array and finally refueling my LH2/LOX tanks :D 

Edited by hypervelocity

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.