The Kerbal Cup Challenge

Currently in the middle of a Hohmann transfer aiming to bring me to an orbit of 150000m . . .

Edit: And we are within the target range!!!!!

Edit 2: NOOOOOOOOOO!

Deployed the satellite. Then three problems occurred.

1) I forgot to photograph it!

2) I lost contact with the satellite (and have no radar to find it again)!

3) Just after deployment I noticed that we had drifted outside the target range - and I could do nothing about it . . .

Still in a pretty close to circular orbit, but just baaaaaaarely not good enough.

Here's a photo of the CSM just after deployment, anyway . .

Edit 3: So the boys returned safely. I can verify successful launch and landing, but whilst there was a [fairly] successful deployment, I cannot demonstrate proof of that; so this will have to go down as a 'close but no cigar' launch.

Still, KSC control should be able to pick up the Satellite now, right? :D

SEVEN HOURS remain in the Kerbal Cup Challenge! Will YOU be the one to claim Kearth's top prize in astronautics? A breathless world awaits!!!

(oh wait, that's just Bill, Bob and Jeb after life support ran out. Never mind.) :-[ :-* ???

Well, I got it done within the following parametres after satellite separation:

Apokerb: 150,256 m

Perikerb: 149,512 m

I don't know if I fit into the allocated time frame for the challenge, but I'll post this anyway just for the fun of it.

EDIT:

- Enjoy!

EDIT²: Apparently, blocked in Germany. :/ I'll see what I can do about that...

We are go for launch!

launchpadr.png

Launch and ascent proceeded smoothly enough (for being a Kerbal Space Program operation); the only catch was that the initial orbit burn was a bit too powerful and commander Jebediah Kerman was forced to manually compensate to negate some vertical speed, but hey, that's why there was extra fuel onboard...

launch1.png stage1separation.png

stage2separation.png overshot.png

After orbit circularization, it was time to ditch the final booster stage and separate the satellite!

separation1.png separation2.png

Here are shown the moments of passing apokerb (at 150,256 metres above Kearth's surface) and perikerb (at 149,512 metres altitude). The perikerb exceeds strict orbital parametres by some 238 metres, but overall Mission Control considered this a fairly good result for fully manual ascent, orbital stabilization and horrifically powerful decoupling rings, all done with substandard instrumentation and very rickety rockets...

apokerb1.png apokerb2.png apokerb3.png

perikerb1.png perikerb2.png perikerb3.png

After observing the perikerb altitude, it was time to prepare for de-orbit and descent. De-orbit was carefully calibrated to bring the remaining spacecraft to the vicinity of KSC, by Jebediah Kerman's special method that he refers to as 'winging it'.

All things considered, Jebediah Kerman has certainly earned his wings by bringing the spacecraft to walking distance from KSC, further reducing the costs of the space program by removing the need for recovery of the brave crew members (it's usually not needed anyway).

deorbitburn.png deorbitburnend.png descent1.png descent2.png descent3.png

Unfortunately, the aim of the descent was slightly off, and ship did not have enough fuel reserves to locate a safe landing zone after veering above a mountainous area close to KSC. Therefore, commander Kerman made a decision to abort powered landing and initiated CM separation procedure, after which the capsule performed a normal parachuted landing into a small body of water near the Kerbal Space Centre.

poweredattempt1.png poweredattempt2.png poweredabort.png cmseparate.png

paradeploy.png servicemodulefall.png canopyopened.png

As the capsule descended, crew reported they had visual contact with KSC, and soon thereafter splashdown occurred.

kscvisual.png splashdown.png statsti.png

Despite slight delays in the mission schedule, the end results of the mission have been spectacular.

Stay tuned for possible video footage of the mission...

Ship blueprints in attachement, but I don't know how regularly attachements are deleted in here...

Holy long ass post Batman! Herra, would you mind wrapping those photos in spoiler tags please?

Also, for those that are accidentally hitting space and blowing your last stage off, you can prevent that with the Stage Lock (ALT-L). The stage light will turn purple to let you know you're locked.

Arrr!

Capt'n Skunky

After careful consideration of the supplied evidence, and validating that the submitted craft was of legitimate construction and able to achieve altitudes in excess of 150,000m, maneuver at said altitudes, and successfully deploy a satellite at said altitudes, the voyage ending with the safe return of the crew; and said entry resulting in an orbit of the satellite closest to the parameters set forth, the prize committee is pleased to award EDIT: Herra Tohtori the first Kerbal Cup!

Congratulations!

(Please PM me with your postal address, and I'll go pick up the $2 plastic trophy tomorrow!) :D

(sorry about the name mix-up!)

Awesome! I an honoured and thrilled by this prospect. I'll send my mail address via pm soon (I live in Finland though...).

Sorry about post length, I'm on a cell phone atm and cannot edit the message, but I'll edit the layout to a more vertically compressed format.

I will also make a youtube video out of the footage I gathered but that will take a bit of time...

• 1 month later...

Sorry I\'ve been gone so long, health challenges and such took precedence. I thought you guys would like to see the Kerbal Cup Trophy that is going out today to Lassi in Finland!

(yes, I was too cheap to pay $15 for a plaque to go on the $5 trophy. Budget cuts and all that, ya know! ;) )

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.