Greetings!

transitbiker

Hi, new to the site!

I have a question. How should i best go about evenly putting intakes & spacing gear out on this thing? My idea is three-fold. One, i want to simply see how far i can get around the map by adding some rockets on as to not use up the fuel for the jet engines in the initial departure from "cape kerbal". The second bit is i'd like to create a standard water-borne shuttle kit based on this assembly to get survivor kerbals from ships that crashed, ran out of fuel, broke, etc on kerbin back to the KSC. The final and far more complex concept is to be able to detach the hulls so they can go off in different directions and potentially join back together again. I know i will probably want to modify the base assembly to get the best out of each intended use, but i am struggling to see how i can save some time on attaching things. If i have the symmetry ON, it treats each hull like a separate ship aside from the segment that joins all three together. Any ideas? I just want to be sure the intakes and landing gear are all mounted symmetrically so it does not crash turning on land or break apart on the water. FYI this is .25 and cannot upgrade due to PC limitations (everything has to be turned all the way down for it to get any realistic framerate even on the most basic stock pre-built ship).

qnXOaK9.png

Thanks!

- Andy

- - - Updated - - -

Just a side note. Without any intakes, and as you see it here, it sits wit the hull mid-line just under the water AND it is full of fuel (6000 plus gallons whatever the measurement is) so i'm not worried about it floating once the intakes are put on the bottom. Once the fore tanks empty it does start to get the mid-line of the hull above water on the front end of the ship. I have too much fuel to test it (even in 4x time) when empty ahaha.

I also do plan to share this design in the ship exchange once i get it to a point where i feel i have the final version. Thanks again!

- Andy

You posted again in a short amount of time and the forum software edited your first post to merge them, which put it back in the queue for moderator approval. This restriction on posting will be dropped once you have three posts, it's an anti-spambot measure.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and welcome aboard!

So, without the outrigger bits, and no tail fins, and no rockets, it seems OK. Obviously i need to add those to get better steering on the water. Anyone have any suggestions before i upload it to the ship exchange?

JKQlm6r.png

wXpNY6m.png

- Andy

Hey transitbiker and welcome to the forums!

I would suggest maybe adding the tail fins, steering sucks when you are in the water, especially when you are just using reaction wheels. Other than that, great work, excited to see it in the Ship Exchange!

All the best. :)

Hey transitbiker and welcome to the forums!

I would suggest maybe adding the tail fins, steering sucks when you are in the water, especially when you are just using reaction wheels. Other than that, great work, excited to see it in the Ship Exchange!

All the best. :)

Thanks! They seem to help a bit on land too, even with all wheels steering & the rear wheels inverted it adds a bit of force when over 1 m/s.

- Andy