[1.5.1] Engine Lighting (1.5.1) Little Config Update (13 October)

tajampi

Hey all! Sorry for inactivity!

Have implemented jitter to the light, fixed (hopefully, testing now) firespitter props emiting light and implemented the update checker file.

Possibly releasing soon, making screenshots with the new version, stuff has changed a bit since 1.0 ;)

Cheers!

Eagerly waiting for this, the lights make the launches look very nice.

One thing, is that there seems to be too much light generated when in space,using a smaller engine.

Implemented also the fxOffset into the light position! :)

It will change little, but if you really look close, you will notice that the light is now where the flame starts.

EDIT: Thank you linuxgurugamer for the version file! MiniAVC is now implemented.

Releasing in a few minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Published update 1.3!

Changelog:

Added jitter to engines!

Added :FOR on all patches

Fixed Firespitter compatibility

Moved light to flame start positions

Implemented MiniAVC

-----------------------------------------------------

Enjoy! :D

Edited by tajampi
miniavc

Implemented also the fxOffset into the light position! :)

It will change little, but if you really look close, you will notice that the light is now where the flame starts.

EDIT: Thank you linuxgurugamer for the version file! MiniAVC is now implemented.

Releasing in a few minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Published update 1.3!

Changelog:

Added jitter to engines!

Added :FOR on all patches

Fixed Firespitter compatibility

Moved light to flame start positions

Implemented MiniAVC

-----------------------------------------------------

Enjoy! :D

It's nice to see well commented code!

For future reference, you might want to exclude IntakeAtm (IntakeAir's oxygen-free cousin, for atmospheric operations on planets other than Kerbin or Laythe) as well as IntakeAir, or the fan engines from FTT will glow. (Which looks really cool, but isn't really what we want.)

You should also move the modification patches to execute :AFTER[EngineLight] -- otherwise, there's no guarantee that they'll execute in the correct order (as I figured out when trying to get the IntakeAtm patch to take).

I think it's more reasonable with "lightPower = 0.25" rather then 1.0 - you can still see it light things up in the dark, but it doesn't completely wash out textures in the daylight... JMHO

having the lights light up the inside of my cockpits is a major turnoff since i play IVA only

if shadows is too much for poor computers, could the light be cone type?

lighteverything "out" and "down" from the engine, so pads would stil light up but not the ship parts?

or perhaps a module that excludes any part using it from being effected by the light?

do lights have a max range to give off light? make it too very far?

has to be some solution

shouldn't this effect rcs thrusters to make them give off light?

is the light strength scaled with throttle?

is the light strength scaled by engine thrust? (bigger engines more light?)

if not, MM could fetch the engine thrust value, little math, and set it to

I'm not sure this is fixable.

I had a fairly big rocket in space. The first stage was still attached (lots of dv) the second stage was on a support structure and was in a fairing, which I had ejected.

When I fired the first stage again, the bottom of the second stage lit up, even though there was absolutely no way for any light to get to it. It was as if the first stage was transparent.

I didn't see this answered here, but is there a way to dim the brightness down simply? I agree with a few others that for my personal taste it's a tad too bright, but I don't want to muck up the code by changing stuff around... Is there a config file or something more simple that we can change?

So it seems that turning on shadows causes a huge FPS drop. Any chance of it being an option the user could change somewhere so we could try it out?

Alternatively, can I make another request for the mod to not show light from the engines when in IVA mode. It really looks like everything explodes every time the engines are turned on currently.

So it seems that turning on shadows causes a huge FPS drop. Any chance of it being an option the user could change somewhere so we could try it out?

Alternatively, can I make another request for the mod to not show light from the engines when in IVA mode. It really looks like everything explodes every time the engines are turned on currently.

That is a consecuence of the stock configuration. Why you want to disable a feature that you can tune?

Reduce the "pixel lights count" in KSP display settings, it regulates the maximum number of simultaneous lights that use real time shadows and shaders.

@JohnFX

It's impossible to enable shadows from any point or spot lights you are using, because KSP is using forward rendering mode where shadows only work on a single directional light (sun). Performance drops don't come from shadows and setting shadow casting flags in the Light objects has zero effect.

Hey! Sorry for inactivity!

Will start developing 1.4 soon, it will (hopefully) include:

- GUI for global settings (Changing illumination on all engines, etc...)

- (?) Simulated ambient lighting (May be hard to implement)

- Color changing from atmosphere to space (By default, to a bluish color)

[More to be added]

EDIT: Added changelog to the main post!

Cheers! :D

Edited by tajampi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.