[1.5.1] Engine Lighting (1.5.1) Little Config Update (13 October)

tajampi

On 29/5/2016 at 8:24 PM, TheMonkeytect said:

I seem to have a minor problem with that mod. First of all, it is GREAT. Ever since I downloaded it, I've been watching my launches from an angle so that the light reflects on the tanks, it just looks fantastic.

But, when I'm orbiting high above Kerbin and firing engines, I see an unnaturally large portion of the planet's surface also lighting up, although beeing kilometers away. Is there a malfunction with the mod or is this intented?

I'm looking into it, does it happens every single time?

It seems related to the way KSP renders planets (they are not actually rendered by the vessel camera, but by a scaled space camera, so they are closer than they look, just rendered behind everything). 

I'm sure the KSP devs placed the scaled space rendere into a separated render layer, so i could make sure no light can be rendered on planets, but i have no idea how to get the renderlayers from code...

The last version to work in KSP 1.0.5 should be 1.4.1, but it isn't compatible with RealFuels. 

EDIT: Getting the layer from code is easy, now i have to find a way to get the scaled-space planet!

Edited by tajampi
I cannot write

On 4/6/2016 at 1:27 PM, tajampi said:

I'm looking into it, does it happens every single time?

It seems related to the way KSP renders planets (they are not actually rendered by the vessel camera, but by a scaled space camera, so they are closer than they look, just rendered behind everything). 

I'm sure the KSP devs placed the scaled space rendere into a separated render layer, so i could make sure no light can be rendered on planets, but i have no idea how to get the renderlayers from code...

The last version to work in KSP 1.0.5 should be 1.4.1, but it isn't compatible with RealFuels. 

EDIT: Getting the layer from code is easy, now i have to find a way to get the scaled-space planet!

I see, it makes much more sense now. And, for some reason, knowing that, for the game, the planet is just a small bubble close to the ship makes is a little frightening.

I am not using real fuels any more anyway, so I'll try it and get back to you with some feedback. Thanks for your time!

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

using this with scatterer makes shows some strange "light squares" around the vessel at night, when u have the oceon right behind it. really ugly.
Can u reproduce it? need screens?

Thanks for your time

On 5/19/2015 at 0:04 PM, saabstory88 said:

I forked your Repo and played around with it. Some nice people on the #KSPMODDERS IRC helped out, and now you can haz custom colors. Pull request created.

Config file can now look like this:

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines]]:Final {
	MODULE
	{
		name = tjs_EngineLight
		lightPower = 1.0
		lightRange = 40.0
		lightRed = 1
		lightGreen = 0.88f
		lightBlue = 0.68f
	}
}

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]]:Final {
	MODULE
	{
		name = tjs_EngineLightFX
		lightPower = 1.0
		lightRange = 40.0
		lightRed = 1
		lightGreen = 0.88f
		lightBlue = 0.68f
	}
}

ok, i just need to replace these in the patches.cfg file?

Hey folks,

Not sure if I'm allowed to post here but I just wanted to mention that I've been using EngineLighting with the recently released KSP 1.1.3.

I get the standard " unsupported ksp version" error message but the mod still works perfect.

On 6/24/2016 at 9:43 AM, Sloane said:

Hey folks,

Not sure if I'm allowed to post here but I just wanted to mention that I've been using EngineLighting with the recently released KSP 1.1.3.

I get the standard " unsupported ksp version" error message but the mod still works perfect.

yup, that's because of the version file... do the following to stop that "unsupported ksp version" message:

*Go to the EngineLight version file and change to this thing:

{
  "NAME":"Engine Lighting",
  "URL":"http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/121987",
  "DOWNLOAD":"http://spacedock.info/mod/272/Engine%20Lighting",
  "CHANGE_LOG_URL":"http://spacedock.info/mod/272/Engine%20Lighting",
  "VERSION":
  {
    "MAJOR":1,
    "MINOR":4,
    "PATCH":5,
    "BUILD":0
  },
  "KSP_VERSION":
  {
    "MAJOR":1,
    "MINOR":1,
    "PATCH":3
  }
}

It seems this mod doesn't work with multi mode engines. Both the RAPIER and the Tundra Exploration first stage engine have issues with lighting.

The RAPIER doesn't have any lighting at all, and the TE engine only has light effects for the all engine mode.

Would be great if you could fix this if you're still working on it, but I understand if you're busy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Guys... 

This is one of the best mods i have ever seen but there is only one drawback, that is, in reality every light reflects back, but here in the mod, the light never seem to get reflected...

Any ideas how to meet our expectations?

With love...

Hey! Sorry for not replying, have not played KSP in some time, back to it with the new, less-crashy update :wink:

Checking what's up with multi mode engines, never really tested them :blush:

That pull request about colors is already integrated into the mod (Not sure if I actually accepted the pull-request, had some weird Github issues), custom colors can be set in the configs nicely! (Thanks to Saabstory!)

Also, I could reproduce the error with powerful lights lighting up the planet, will try to fix that stuff for the next update!

About light reflections, light reflection (instead of the vessel lighting up from the bottom, lighting up slightly from the sides) is planned, but I'm not sure how to implement it...

Will post updates soon!

18 hours ago, tajampi said:

Hey! Sorry for not replying, have not played KSP in some time, back to it with the new, less-crashy update :wink:

Checking what's up with multi mode engines, never really tested them :blush:

That pull request about colors is already integrated into the mod (Not sure if I actually accepted the pull-request, had some weird Github issues), custom colors can be set in the configs nicely! (Thanks to Saabstory!)

Also, I could reproduce the error with powerful lights lighting up the planet, will try to fix that stuff for the next update!

About light reflections, light reflection (instead of the vessel lighting up from the bottom, lighting up slightly from the sides) is planned, but I'm not sure how to implement it...

Will post updates soon!

Good to see you after a long time... 

I was just asking for reflections on the smoke that is released during the launch...

Like, if you make the smoke colored... 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/20/2016 at 11:31 AM, tajampi said:

I don't have much time right now, but will update it soon. The old version *should* work, not tested!

Going to try this right now in 1.2.

Yep.  It seems to work in 1.2

Edited by Probus

3 minutes ago, Recon777 said:

I'm actually not familiar with how to do this.

Enter 'ckan.exe upgrade EngineLighting=1.4.5' (sans quotes) into whatever passes for a command-line on your OS, while in the directory containing ckan.exe. IIRC, on Windows this would be: open "Command Prompt" -> cd c:\path_to_ksp -> ckan.exe upgrade EngineLighting=1.4.5
You can only force ckan to install "incompatible" mods from the command-line, for some perverse reason.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.