[1.5.1] Engine Lighting (1.5.1) Little Config Update (13 October)

tajampi

This mod would be SO COOL if lights didn't kill my frame rate;.;

Reducing the number of "Pixel Lights Count" and/or "Shadow Cascades" in KSP settings should solve it.

If you put only 1 pixel lights it means only the strongest light (usually the sun) will have shadows and shader effects (reflections, bump mapping, etc...), which is usually good enough :)

Reducing the number of "Pixel Lights Count" and/or "Shadow Cascades" in KSP settings should solve it.

If you put only 1 pixel lights it means only the strongest light (usually the sun) will have shadows and shader effects (reflections, bump mapping, etc...), which is usually good enough :)

Hey, that worked! Just finished testing on the launch pad. I ended up with setting pixel light count =6 and shadow cascades = 1, and it looks like I still get the same visuals as default. I'll play around with it some more if need be.

Now, if I could only find a way to reduce the load of engine smoke, I'll have lag free-ish launches!

Hey, that worked! Just finished testing on the launch pad. I ended up with setting pixel light count =6 and shadow cascades = 1, and it looks like I still get the same visuals as default. I'll play around with it some more if need be.

Now, if I could only find a way to reduce the load of engine smoke, I'll have lag free-ish launches!

With shadow cascades = 1 you should get very pixelated shadows, which is fine if you are not zooming too much :)

HotRockets? Delete launch smoke config in MP_Nazari.

Nope, stock engine smoke effects. It always gives me horrible frame rate drop when a lot of smoke builds up, like at launch. Turning off AA fixes it, but then I lose part highlighting.

Sorry for getting off topic by the way.

Just found that Area lights are baked only... Welp, we are stuck with point lights, but i'm implementing a little Flickering effect! (And also placing the light at the flame)

About the firespitter props emiting light, i will disable the light on them for the next release. For now you can patch them using a MM config. Take a look at the patches.cfg file ;)

(Will possibly release a fixed .cfg soon)

EDIT: That replaced light will possibly make the lighting much more realistic, as right now it looks a bit weird (The light is inside the nozzle)

Cheers! :D

Edited by tajampi

This is an excellent mod, and thanks for posting it. I really like it a lot. I do, have a suggestion...

Would it be possible to add a button that lets us configure the brightness or color? On my computer, the lights come on a little too strong. If we could tweak them down a little it would be perfect.

Thanks again, this is outstanding work.

This mod is up on CKAN! Search for "EngineLighting"!

KerbalStuff: https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/817/EngineLighting

Source Code (Github):https://github.com/tatjam/KSP-EngineLight

Awesome!

As of now, CKAN, while it is aware of the current version 1.2, doesn't think it is compatible with 1.0.2

Yet I do see on Kerbalstuff that it is.

LGG

Just found that Area lights are baked only... Welp, we are stuck with point lights, but i'm implementing a little Flickering effect! (And also placing the light at the flame)

About the firespitter props emiting light, i will disable the light on them for the next release. For now you can patch them using a MM config. Take a look at the patches.cfg file ;)

(Will possibly release a fixed .cfg soon)

EDIT: That replaced light will possibly make the lighting much more realistic, as right now it looks a bit weird (The light is inside the nozzle)

Cheers! :D

It seems like you are going through the same things I did when I made PlanetShine :)

I ended up using 4 lights to simulate area lights, and by default I force them to be vertex light so they cost almost no GPU performance.

linuxgurugamer said:
Hmmm, and now it's working. Strange. sorry for the false alarm.

Would you consider adding a .version file so that AVC could keep track of it as well?

AVC is described here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79745-0-23-5-KSP-AVC-Add-on-Version-Checker-Plugin-KSP-AVC-Online

You can use this page to generate the file: http://ksp-avc.cybutek.net

Or here is a file I just whipped up for you. Just save it in the directory with the suffix being .version

{
  "NAME":"Engine Lighting",
  "URL":"http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/121987",
  "DOWNLOAD": [Link to defunct website removed by moderator],
  "CHANGE_LOG_URL":[Link to defunct website removed by moderator],
  "VERSION":
  {
    "MAJOR":1,
    "MINOR":2,
    "PATCH":0,
    "BUILD":0
  },
  "KSP_VERSION":
  {
    "MAJOR":1,
    "MINOR":0,
    "PATCH":2
  }
}
Edited by Snark
Link to defunct website removed by moderator

Hey all! Sorry for inactivity!

Have implemented jitter to the light, fixed (hopefully, testing now) firespitter props emiting light and implemented the update checker file.

Possibly releasing soon, making screenshots with the new version, stuff has changed a bit since 1.0 ;)

Cheers!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.