[1.5.1] Engine Lighting (1.5.1) Little Config Update (13 October)

tajampi

This doesn't seem to work on Realism Overhaul, though I'm using technically outdated LazTek Launch Pack engines (Merlin 1D/1D Vacuum, Superdraco)

Going to test what may be going wrong. It might be due to the realistic trails mod, it may change the engine module.

I can't see any light from the jets at all. I would think that at least the exhaust from the turboramjet engine would make some light, but maybe I'm just downright wrong.

It is intentional, you can enable their light at the "patches.cfg" file, look for this part and delete it completely:

//*****************************************************************************************************************************************************
//This one deletes the module from jet engines (anything using IntakeAir):
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[@PROPELLANT[IntakeAir]]]:FOR[EngineLight]
{
!MODULE[tjs_EngineLight]{}
}

I've started to work on the global lighting, it's a complex proccess, i will be calculating a 3D array of light concentration around the vessel & later on, placing lights at the places with high enviromental light concentration. I have "pseudo-coded" the thing, now to translate it to C# :)

If i manage to get the update working correctly, i will tweak the engine lights down (no more saturation!), and let the global lighting do most of the job

Cheers!

Edited by tajampi

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea, can't believe I didn't really notice the glaring ommision of stock KSP rocket engines not emmitting light when it was so obviously wrong, Launching rockets without this just looks plain wrong now so Thankyou for making this neat little mod matey, Its chaps like you who make KSP what it is today and what it will be tomorrow :-)

I also find this doesn't work with Realism Overhaul, but it would be cool if it did!

The engine modules for reaism overhaul are definitely different from stock. RealFuels does quite a bit to modify that.

ie, here it the RealismOverhaul MM code for the FASA J-2:

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/blob/master/GameData/RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/FASA/RO_FASA_Saturn.cfg#L813-L852

I could also post the MM config log file for an engine so you could see how an engine's .cfg looks by the time the game gets its hands in it, if that would help?

Hmm, i have no idea why it's not working.

Maybe the light is too weak to be noticeable... Or maybe the modules don't even apply.

Will try to catch what's going on! :)

I'm going to the countryside for a while (about 1.5 months), and i won't have any stable internet connection, sorry if i'm not able to upload anything.

(I suppose i will be able to connect though)

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there! Featured this mod in my 2 Minute Mods series. Thanks for the amazing work!

Thank you :) Adding the vídeo to the post!

Sorry for inactivity! No news about the mod, I have been working on some other projects.

I've planned a Real plumes compatibility patch, it feels weird to see the trail changing color and the light keeping white :P

Will start working on it after i finish Ludum Dare (4 days!)!

Cheers! :)

Going to test what may be going wrong. It might be due to the realistic trails mod, it may change the engine module.

It is intentional, you can enable their light at the "patches.cfg" file, look for this part and delete it completely:

//*****************************************************************************************************************************************************
//This one deletes the module from jet engines (anything using IntakeAir):
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[@PROPELLANT[IntakeAir]]]:FOR[EngineLight]
{
!MODULE[tjs_EngineLight]{}
}

I've started to work on the global lighting, it's a complex proccess, i will be calculating a 3D array of light concentration around the vessel & later on, placing lights at the places with high enviromental light concentration. I have "pseudo-coded" the thing, now to translate it to C# :)

If i manage to get the update working correctly, i will tweak the engine lights down (no more saturation!), and let the global lighting do most of the job

Cheers!

does this mean if i copy that bit of code, and change air to RSC fuel stuff i can make engines that dont use compustion to not have light?

does this mean if i copy that bit of code, and change air to RSC fuel stuff i can make engines that dont use compustion to not have light?

Yep! It should work with any resource!

Finishing Ludum Dare, will soon resume Engine Light development!

Cheers! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi tajampi, I found a funny little bug for you while bug hunting another mod, but I don't actually know if it's fixable.

The engine lighting is applied to planets when you're far away from them. Here's a Mainsail lighting up Minmus

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I don't know if it's fixable, or if it's even worth fixing (who even uses a Mainsail in space?!), but I just thought you should know regardless.

Hi tajampi, I found a funny little bug for you while bug hunting another mod, but I don't actually know if it's fixable.

The engine lighting is applied to planets when you're far away from them. Here's a Mainsail lighting up Minmus

http://imgur.com/a/meMmN

I don't know if it's fixable, or if it's even worth fixing (who even uses a Mainsail in space?!), but I just thought you should know regardless.

That really spoils the illusion of scale... ;) Ship spotlights used to do this as well, if I recall.

http://imgur.com/a/meMmN

Is that the minmus from the new KSPRC?

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to say, but I have something for "known issues"... - when firing an engine in LKO, the engine lighting projects onto the surface of kerbin, Making it flicker slightly. Similar to this scene in Scott manley's Orion drive video. - Also note that i'm using just about every visual mod I could possibly using.

Sorry to say, but I have something for "known issues"... - when firing an engine in LKO, the engine lighting projects onto the surface of kerbin, Making it flicker slightly. Similar to this scene in Scott manley's Orion drive video. - Also note that i'm using just about every visual mod I could possibly using.

That is definitely a Unity 4 issue.

Hey, sorry for inactivity!

(Note that everything i say is just what i believe is happening!)

I believe i can do nothing about it. I'm not sure, but it may be caused either by floating point precision problems, or by the "clip planes" of the main camera. I believe it's the last one, as you can see planets from far away (possibly more than a million kilometers), the "far clipping plane" is really huge. As far as i know, it causes issues with lighting, and shaking. Take a look at this

, that's using a far-plane of '10.000', and KSP is possibly using a way bigger number. As you can see, shadows mess up. In KSP shadows are not really rendered far away, you can't actually see shadows from 200 meters or so, that's why shadows are not shaking.

I don't have an idea why lights are rendered that far at first, but who knows.

It may also be Krakensbane changing your location before/after the actual rendering happens, messing stuff up.

It may be interesting to disable lights during the frame Krakensbane fixes stuff, will make a little test to see if that fixes anything :)

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
are you gonna drop the miniavc from the next release? Since most of the mods are on ckan, there's no need for avc..

I don't use the CKAN and I never will - to drop AVC support (which is literally just a text file) would be, to me, stupid and short-sighted. On an objective and discussion-based note: what advantages would dropping AVC support bring?

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='ObsessedWithKSP']I don't use the CKAN and I never will - to drop AVC support (which is literally just a text file) would be, to me, stupid and short-sighted. On an objective and discussion-based note: what advantages would dropping AVC support bring?[/QUOTE]
I say make mods JSGME compatible.. a lot less annoying than mini-avc or CKan.

For those who like to control their mods.. that is.. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.