A couple scientific questions about Kerbal reality

I'm trying to figure out some things for a KSP mod project.

Here are my questions:

How long (in human hours) is a Kerbin day?

How fast (in human MPH) is Kerbal lightspeed? (In USI WarpDrive?)

Is the below math correct?

The distance from Kerbin to Kerbal Centauri is 1.64297015 x 10^13 human miles because the distance distance from Earth to Alpha Centauri is 4.367 light years or about 2.56714087 x 10^13 miles and Kerbal scale is ~64% of reality. There are also about 3379.2 (human) feet in a Kerbal mile.

Kerbin day is 6 hurs, solar day has 50.8 extra seconds.

In KSP there's no speed of light.

PD: if you ask "scientific" question better use km/h :P

Really, miles are used only in few countries, and KSP internally uses meters, it'd be better if you get used to international system.

Kerbin day is 6 hurs, solar day has 50.8 extra seconds.

In KSP there's no speed of light.

PD: if you ask "scientific" question better use km/h :P

Really, miles are used only in few countries, and KSP internally uses meters, it'd be better if you get used to international system.

Hmmm.... Thanks for the Km/H suggestions. I'm asking for the "speed of light" in the USI warp drive mod. Unless, of course, it uses our speed of light. Anyway, a quick google search could of told you that converted the km, the distance to K. Centauri would be 2.6441 x 10​13​ KM.

Edited by SpaceLaunchSystem

Hmmm.... Thanks for the Km/H suggestions. I'm asking for the "speed of light" in the USI warp drive mod. Unless, of course, it uses our speed of light.

I presume it does, unless mentioned explicitly that its not. I've not used the USI warp drive in particular, but you could do a test and fire the thing up in Low Kerbin Orbit, then see how long it takes to reach a certain altitude.

I know that the KSP Interstellar Warp Drive uses a tenth of 'human c' as its c, but not sure if RoverDude did the same for his mod.

I presume it does, unless mentioned explicitly that its not. I've not used the USI warp drive in particular, but you could do a test and fire the thing up in Low Kerbin Orbit, then see how long it takes to reach a certain altitude.

I know that the KSP Interstellar Warp Drive uses a tenth of 'human c' as its c, but not sure if RoverDude did the same for his mod.

I'm really not good with timing and testing. I just PM'd RoverDude to find out.

Remote tech uses 3E+08 (3.00 * 10^8) m/s as the speed of light in the default settings. (same as the speed of light in real life)

In normal KSP, there is no speed limitation on light, and you don't have relativity.

Edited by Reddeyfish

I always imagined the speed of light in KSP as being the same as in our universe. This, coupled with the smaller planets and distances, means interstellar travel would be much easier. Project orion or solar sails or laser propulsion would make for relatively easy trips, on the order of only several years at a single digit percentage of the speed of light.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.