Kerbal Mission Patch Template v2.3 (July 22, 2016)

XjXrMkg.png

DOWNLOAD (NEW HOST!) (SPACEDOCK)

***** Kerbal Mission Patch Template v2.3 *****

This is a series of SVG images that let you make your own KSP patches -

simple as that!

*** WHY SHOULD I USE THIS? ***

'Cause mission patches are awesome! :D I make a new one for each mission I

do, which helps make every launch feel unique and special.

There are other mission patch projects out there, but I couldn't find a good

one that was free (as in speech) and used the style of vector art that I liked.

I'm hoping that other intrepid Kerbonauts will use these and find them helpful.

The open licensing should allow everyone to benefit, and hopefully

contribute back all their sweet drawings :)

*** OK, SO HOW DO I USE THIS? ***

The included SVG files are designed for use with Inkscape, an open source SVG

editor. You can download it here for all platforms KSP runs on:

https://inkscape.org/download/

Inkscape is not trivial software and requires some work to get familiar with

it. Once you get good, you can do some really cool stuff. Some tutorials

will help you get you started:

https://inkscape.org/en/learn/tutorials/

On Windows, SVG files are opened in Internet Explorer by default. You may

need to mess with your defaults, or right-click and choose Inkscape manually.

*** MAN, INKSCAPE IS COMPLICATED! ***

It really is :P

You can ask questions in the forums, but I won't be providing any learning

support for this (see the disclaimer). Sorry. There are probably other

programs you can use that might be easier. I don't know anything about those

though.

*** WHAT'S INCLUDED ***

1.) Examples.svg -- Some pre-made patches to give you ideas. I made these quickly, you can too!

2.) Icons.svg -- This is full of all the planets, ship icons, patch outlines, and more. Copy and paste these into Flag Template.svg (where you assemble the patches).

3.) Flag Template.svg -- This is where you assemble your patches. Make a copy before you save over it.

4.) Aircraft Name & Number.svg -- This is a simple but handy template to put names on your planes/whatver. I think it looks best on the Mk3 cockpits, but it's nice anywhere.

5.) Plaque Template -- A simple template that lets you make Pioneer Space Probe-esque plaques.

See the individual files for hints.

*** DISCLAIMERS ***

This is provided AS IS, WITH NO WARRANTY OR SUPPORT. That said, please

enjoy :)

*** LICENSE ***

Kerbal Mission Patch Template is licensed CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/

*** SPECIAL THANKS ***

Thanks to the developers of the Outer Planets mod v1.8: CaptRobau, Eudae55, as well as all the other contributors to that project.

OuterPlanets is an EXCELLENT addition to the game that provides some exciting challenges and strikes a great balance between fun and serious that I like in KSP. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HARD WORK! (Also, thank you for the friendly licensing!) OuterPlanets can be found here:[removed link to defunct website]

Special thanks to /u/skivolkis for the inspiration for the Plaque Template and for his permission to restribute!

His original work is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/KSPFlags/comments/2p354t/pioneer_plaque/

*** CHANGES ***

V 1.0

Initial Release.

V 2.0

-All new patch templates.

-Added content from OuterPlanets 1.8

-Upgraded some icon elements. Added new rocket.

-Improved Aircraft Name & Number template (replaces previous Shuttle.svg template).

-Added Plaque Template that lets you create your own Pioneer-esque plaques.

-All new examples.

-New agency flags: KRSA as well as Blue on White and White on Blue UN-Style "Kerbin Republic" flag.

V 2.1

-Grouped "Clip Objects" in Flag Template.svg

-Improved instructions in Flag Template.svg (previous instructions were confusing.)

-V 2.1 Re-uploaded to spacedock.info after Kerbalstuff vanished, April 23, 2016.

V 2.2 (June 21, 2016)

Added some new ICONS - 4 new Space Stations, and 7 Space Shuttles (all using graphics from public domain NASA mission patches.. thanks NASA!
Removed previous Space Stations - the new ones are a lot better.
Added a NASA "swoowsh" (also from public domain NASA images)
Updated the Kerbal Mission Patch Template Logo using the shuttle graphic, with the flare "NOW WITH MORE SHUTTLES!" because everyone wants shuttles.
Added the gradient "swoosh" from the new Logo to the "swooshes".
Rearranged the ICONS.SVG so things were a bit easier to find.
Added "Old Kerby" American style flag.  Increased brilliance on Kerbin on flag so it stood out more.
Added more brilliant "lighter" Kerbin planet color scheme, under the old "Kerbin"
Updated the "Examples" to show some of the neat things that can be done with the new elements.
Added some new star and galaxy shapes.
Added some new font examples to the Icons.svg
Updated "Flag Template.svg" to include a new example patch for KTS 231.

V 2.3 (July 22, 2016)

-Lots of changes this time...
-Renamed "Flag Template" to "Patch Template" - now the PATCH TEMPLATE will be the template designed to make MISSION PATCHES.  
-Added new file, "Flag Template" - this is the template designed to make "national" flags for your Kerbals.
 It includes 4 examples and several templates to create your own flags!
-Renamed "Aircraft Name & Number" to "Aircraft Name Template"
-Borrowed and adapted flag of Scotland for Flag Template; it's a public domain flag from Wikipedia.
-Borrowed and adapted flag of El Salvador for Flag Template; it's a public domain flag from Wikipedia.
-Complete re-arange of Patch Template.svg and Icons.svg, all the patch outlines were moved into the Patch template
 itself, and Icons.svg is solely planets, ships, and emblems now.
-Resized Icons.SVG to be a more managable set of dimensions.
-Re did release pictures for project, with new summaries and matching formatting for the rest of the project.
-Created unified design look for project with basic color schemes to help navigate different windows.
-For Flag Template.svg added colors to help with inspiration on patch outlines.  
-Updated aircraft name template's title.
-For all Templates changed background channel to "white" instead of transparent.
-Cleaned up most examples.

Looks like there is probably a market for a randomizer generator if you could somehow make it make sense. Maybe add some kerbal language fonts if I ever get around to making one.

are tags required when posting here? I don't see how this is a plugin. Otherwise, look forward to maybe having some mission patches at last. My lack of artistic talent has prevented me from bothering with them in the past, although I've been wanting to. So little time... thanks for the leg up!

This is pretty awesome! The files are really well layed out and should make putting together some mission patches a breeze :D

Thanks for doing this!

Thank you! Just hope people get some fun out of it and have the same fun I've had making little custom mission patch flags :)

http://i.imgur.com/jnme8KB.jpg

Here's some I made using your pack!

Thanks so much for releasing it! Vector planets and moons are so usefull!

Edit: Just realised it should say "V" instead of "IX" whoops

Those are awesome looking! Id love a copy of the (what looks like) the EVE enhanced Kerbin! Ive been working on a few few satellite icons in Inkscape for inclusion in new flags :) the more icons to use with this pack the better!.

Those are awesome looking! Id love a copy of the (what looks like) the EVE enhanced Kerbin! Ive been working on a few few satellite icons in Inkscape for inclusion in new flags :) the more icons to use with this pack the better!.

Please share (with a friendly license!) your icons if you wouldn't mind! I'd love to have more icons available! The next time I update this I'd like to have more content available for people, different ships, icons, etc. Yours look very pretty! :)

Unfortunatley I didn't use inkscape for the clouds, or really any of my mission patch. Vectors are not my forté. So I cant exactly share them. However I'll tell you how I did it.

Simply I overlaid this image on top of saybur's kerbin vector. Tweaked around the transparency and cut the overhang off. All in photoshop.

Regarding sharing. I would share my .psds on here, but they're all rasterized and so it would be difficult to add them to sayburs vector pack.

Unfortunatley I didn't use inkscape for the clouds, or really any of my mission patch. Vectors are not my forté. So I cant exactly share them. However I'll tell you how I did it.

Simply I overlaid this image on top of saybur's kerbin vector. Tweaked around the transparency and cut the overhang off. All in photoshop.

Regarding sharing. I would share my .psds on here, but they're all rasterized and so it would be difficult to add them to sayburs vector pack.

You know, that's a really good idea. I'll see about making some vectored clouds for the next release that can be overlayed on the various planets as needed!

• 2 weeks later...
Here's some...

Those are very, very nice! And I love that flag! But, really - printing out the names as "Kerman"? That is stroke of brilliance! Brilliance.

Mine aren't nearly as pretty, but I've put together quite a few patches as well. Let's see if I can share them.

KSP%20Patches.png

• 3 weeks later...
Selentic said:
Those are very, very nice! And I love that flag! But, really - printing out the names as "Kerman"? That is stroke of brilliance! Brilliance.

Mine aren't nearly as pretty, but I've put together quite a few patches as well. Let's see if I can share them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26481494/KSP%20Patches.png

Just wanted to say I really liked your patches! Glad to see people are getting some use out of them :)

Also, adding a screen shot of the "ShuttlePatch" version, that lets you put little names on the shuttles/planes:

screenshot568.png?w=900&h=564

Edited by Saybur Stuff
updating outdated pic for flag Template

• 4 months later...
Also. Hey Saybur, after pulling apart the layers on some of the orbital bodies I'd like to know if you did all this by hand? becuase thats a huge amount of effort!

Hi! Thanks - it's actually an easier process than you might think - but I wanted a look that was sort of an artistic version of the planets, not just screencaps.

Also - updated to 2.1 today - enjoy!

POMug28.png

• 1 month later...

I did some mission patches too, and took the liberty to design a few different vessel icons, namely for ISRU landers, satellites and ground bases. I've also started a thread where I'll be posting the patches for my missions and projects here:

If anyone is interested, I'm more than willing to share the other vessel icons and I'm also super curious about other custom icons that anyone made. Criticism (constructive of course) is also very much appreciated, specially on the design of the patches.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2016 at 4:46 PM, tmccreight651 said:

can we get a new download, since kerbal stuff went down?

On 3/31/2016 at 8:42 PM, Noobton said:

+1 on the request for the template, pretty please :)

On 3/28/2016 at 0:59 PM, eberkain said:

Anyone have another source for this?  I would like to use the template for something I am working on. 

You sure can!  Download information has been updated to the new home for the Mission Patches, spacedock.info.  Thank you guys for your support :)

On 12/19/2015 at 10:42 AM, chicobaptista said:

I did some mission patches too, and took the liberty to design a few different vessel icons, namely for ISRU landers, satellites and ground bases. I've also started a thread where I'll be posting the patches for my missions and projects here:

If anyone is interested, I'm more than willing to share the other vessel icons and I'm also super curious about other custom icons that anyone made. Criticism (constructive of course) is also very much appreciated, specially on the design of the patches.

Hi!  I'd love it if you could share some of your vessels, if you like I can incorporate them into the next update for this mod.  Feel free to contact me!   :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.