Blue Tit Nest Box Camera Live Stream

Winston

Is it just me, or has the stream gone all purple?

It's night time so the camera has switched to infra-red which usually produces black and white image, however sometimes it goes purple like this because it's a piece of garbage

It is in fact pitch black in there

Edited by Winston

This may be an odd question, but where does the male roost?

If Blue Tits are like most other nesting birds (I'll assume they are), then the male isn't far away. Many species, the male is out gathering food for the female sitting the nest; Some species, the male will sit the nest for a while to allow the female to go out for a bite to eat. If you go outside near the nest/birdhouse, listen, you'll likely hear warning calls made by that male alerting its mate and/or to draw the threat's attention away from the nest.

Have you adjusted the camera lighting or wiring? I see the purple colour cast is gone and the box seems to be lit (IR LED I assume). Are we still on 9 chicks?

I haven't adjusted a thing - the purple subsides during the afternoon when the most light gets into the box.

I assume you mean the black and white image; like you say, that's after dusk when the IR LEDs kick in.

Today I made a new roof for the box which I will be fitting tomorrow, featuring a large window. This will hopefully provide much better top-down illumination of the nest and therefore a brighter, sharper image and brighter colours during the day.

As for the number of chicks, I haven't had a chance to do a proper head count today. I'll get back to you.

Well it does look there are still 9, though the runt seems to have his head buried under the other chicks most of the time. I kinda doubt he'll make it because that means he doesn't get fed.

Edited by Winston

Can you Edit the first post in the thread in the "Go Advanced" editor to change the title??

So you can :V

Its okay, I just wanted to get a star trek reference in.

About as far over my head as the Enterprise I'm afraid - never watched much of it

Edited by Winston

What the Flagnar did the male bring back at 16:33 today? It was too big for the parents let alone a chick! It looked like a large moth or queen wasp abdomen?

Here's the clip in question http://a.pomf.se/ugbofw.mp4

Also, for those who weren't on the stream chat

I've just fitted the new roof with the window in it

Here's a before and after: note the marked improvement in colour rendition

nuIfzMf.jpg

It should be even better on a clear day (today is thoroughly overcast)

I also snapped a picture with my camera while the roof was off (nest box cam visible in the lower right)

9VFAvaK.jpg

There was a hair-raising couple of minutes where the adults were hesitant to go back into the box and kept hovering above the roof, checking it out

They seem to be fully settled back in now, phew

And for those watching last night... "corner bird" didn't make it through the night and died in the cold. Sadly he is probably too big for the parents to remove now so we are stuck with his remains in the nest.

It is in fact still breathing, however pretty slowly for a small bird.

I don't know if moving him back into the nest where it's warm would help him or not, I'm also fairly certain handling live chicks is illegal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.