[1.1] Stock Fairing Tweaker - simple tweakables for stock fairing context menu

Wheffle

Stock Fairing Tweaker

fXQzpAH.png

After some digging around and experimenting, I familiarized myself with a few part file fields for the module that handles stock fairing creation. This plugin allows you to tweak a handful of those fields in the VAB via the right-click menu, without having to muck around in the actual part files. These fields were also made persistent so they will stay with your saved vessel and behave as expected after unfocusing and refocusing a vessel.

The fields I chose to make tweakable are the ones I both fully understood (through testing) and felt were the most useful for fairing customization. They include:

• Divisions - How many vertical slices the fairing is divided into. ('nArcs' in the part files) [Depricated - tweak now included in stock]
  • Max Height - The maximum height for each section when building the fairing. ('xSectionHeightMax' in the part files)
  • Edge Smooth - Roundness between edges of sections. ('edgeWarp' in the part files)

Feel free to post any bugs or suggestions.

Download Current Version (1.0.2) 23 April 2016, for KSP v1.1

(source included)

Spacedock

Curse

*ModuleManager included and required

Changelog

Spoiler

[v1.0.2  - 23 April 2016]

- Updated to work with KSP 1.0

- Removed 'divisions' tweak (included in stock now)

[v1.0.1 - 22 June 2015]

- Fixed a bug that reverted tweakables to default settings when reverting to VAB/SPH

[v1.0 - 19 May 2015]

- Initial release

License

Spoiler

"Stock Fairing Tweaker" Kerbal Space Program mod

Copyright © 2015 Chase Barnes

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions: The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Known Bugs

• Increased "Edge Smooth" seems to cause a frame rate drop in the VAB while the fairing right-click menu is open.

Example Screenshots

5OKDHDo.png

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Wheffle
KSP update

Great initiative! But does anyone use stock fairings?

Ha! Niche market I guess? I tend towards using the stock option whenever available for whatever reason, so I threw together this plugin for my own sake at least.

Ha! Niche market I guess? I tend towards using the stock option whenever available for whatever reason, so I threw together this plugin for my own sake at least.

Why wouldn't i use stock fairings? They are balanced with the cost the way the Devs want them to (something like KW, has much more powerful, light, and less costly engines for example. KW as it as atm, is making an already easy game, easier). Why do I need PFairings these days? (I'm a long time lover of the mod, I just don't see the point these days)

On topic. Very nice job! I'll be using this later today :)

Nice! Thank you for this and to answer the question some posted YES! Some DO use stock fairings! In fact like them far more than pfairings! They were great until 1.0, but now find them unneeded.

This mod is the only aspect that I had liked about pfairings that was missing in stock :)

Everyone who doesn't want to download pfairings, I guess?

Is pfairings still a thing? No need to install mods for stuff once it's made stock, that just wastes memory imho. I only install mods that add something new to the game. This one is definitely a welcome addition, thanks!

Edited by Galatea

Is pfairings still a thing? No need to install mods for stuff once it's made stock, that just wastes memory imho. I only install mods that add something new to the game. This one is definitely a welcome addition, thanks!

I actually think proc fairings look and behave a lot better than stock fairings, but I really love the level of customization the stock fairings offer, plus the exploded view that allows you to access parts underneath is beyond awesome. And being stock, the guarantee that they play nice with other systems is a plus.

I've also heard a lot of people complaining about the way stock behaves with regard to inline fairings, but personally it's never been a problem for any of my vessels with inline fairings.

My plugin alleviates some of the aesthetic issues a bit when compared to proc fairings. I'm hoping that given time I'll be able to find a way to get the sections to stick together on deployment, eliminating the "grenade" effect that everyone hates so much (i.e. a fairing tweaked with Divisions=2 will fall away in just two pieces like a clam shell). I'm fairly new to modding, though, so nobody hold their breath.

Great initiative! But does anyone use stock fairings?

I do, and I am about to appreciate the hell out of this mod.

I'm hoping that given time I'll be able to find a way to get the sections to stick together on deployment, eliminating the "grenade" effect that everyone hates so much (i.e. a fairing tweaked with Divisions=2 will fall away in just two pieces like a clam shell). I'm fairly new to modding, though, so nobody hold their breath.

Take your time. I will most certainly appreciate this addition, but until then I can wait. In my opinion, the "grenade" effect isn't terrible, just not ideal.

Edited by Drake1500

And another "should and will probably be stock" mod! Nice work!

Simple question: does KW fairings use the stock modules and, if so, does this mod works for them?

EDIT: apparently not.

Edited by Initar

Thanks for all the support! I just finished a decently involved update for another mod of mine, so I'll probably dig into this one again and see what else I can come up with as far as customization options and improvements, as well as getting rid of some annoyances.

Simple question: does KW fairings use the stock modules and, if so, does this mod works for them?

Yeah, I doubt that KW uses the stock fairing module. But, even if they did, my mod wouldn't affect that by default. Currently I'm inserting my own module manually into the stock fairing parts (with ModuleManager) that accesses the stock fairing module indirectly. I haven't checked out KW's proc fairings at all, but in the long-shot unlikely case they actually did use the stock module, a simple MM config that added my module to the KW fairing parts would hook in just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
And another "should and will probably be stock" mod! Nice work!

Yeah, I doubt that KW uses the stock fairing module. But, even if they did, my mod wouldn't affect that by default. Currently I'm inserting my own module manually into the stock fairing parts (with ModuleManager) that accesses the stock fairing module indirectly. I haven't checked out KW's proc fairings at all, but in the long-shot unlikely case they actually did use the stock module, a simple MM config that added my module to the KW fairing parts would hook in just fine.

Yes with correct patch works with KWPfairings:

@PART[KW*mFairingP*]:Final
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleProceduralFairingTweaker
}
}

This mod plus Stock ClamShell Fairings mod by xEvilReeperx fixes almost every shortcoming of the stock fairings. Great job, Wheffle!

Since you delved into tweaking fairings, would you please look into switching fairing textures via modules like FStextureSwitch2 (Firespitter) or InterstellarTextureSwitch (Interstellar Fuel Switch).

If would be so cool if this mod could switch stock fairing textures, it would become a true Stock Fairing tweaker.

Edited by Enceos

This mod plus Stock ClamShell Fairings mod by xEvilReeperx fixes almost every shortcoming of the stock fairings. Great job, Wheffle!

Since you delved into tweaking fairings, would you please look into switching fairing textures via modules like FStextureSwitch2 (Firespitter) or InterstellarTextureSwitch (Interstellar Fuel Switch).

If would be so cool if this mod could switch stock fairing textures, it would become a true Stock Fairing tweaker.

Oh MAN I'm glad someone came up with clamshell fairing breakaways. I've been MIA for a while with medical problems, so I haven't been able to look into it. Regardless I'm not well versed in Unity and from what I can see in the source code xEvilReeperx is quite the ninja.

I like the idea of adding texture options. I will definitely look into it. I've spent some time trying to figure out why "Revert to VAB" forces the tweakables back to their defaults with no luck so far, and it's driving me nuts. I might shelve it and move on, though, seeing as how there is a reliable workaround.

• 3 weeks later...

Did some quick testing with 1.0.3, everything seems to be working fine (as expected). Thread title changed to reflect this.

Also, with luck I'll have a tiny update ready soon that will fix the annoying revert-to-VAB memory loss for your tweakable settings.

EDIT:

Luck was on my side. Squashed that silly bug and released a new version. Shouldn't break old saves.

Edited by Wheffle

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.