[1.12.x] Connected Living Space v2.0.2.0 (12 Feb 2022)

Papa_Joe

New Release:

release v 1.2.1.5
* Fixed:  Finally squashed NullRef exceptions when RemoteTech is installed.
* New:  Added Distribution folder to project for ease in locating binaries from Git.
* New:  Added folder check for PluginData to ensure proper config file creation when Mod is installed.

Hope this one is stable and that all items are properly located.   I modified the distribution automation on this release, and I checked it over pretty well...

Edited by Papa_Joe

Could someone who knows this mod a bit better take a look at this config and tell us if there are issues?

https://github.com/BobPalmer/Malemute/blob/DEVELOP/FOR_RELEASE/GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/Malemute/Mod_Compatablity/ConnectedLivingSpaces.cfg

I'm having it work fine on my machine - I wrote it.  We have another user who says it doesn't work for him, and that it needs a 'passable = true' on all the parts.  (Which requires a bigger rewrite if so, by my understanding.)

Edited by DStaal
Stupid forum software posted before I was done...

25 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Could someone who knows this mod a bit better take a look at this config and tell us if there are issues?

https://github.com/BobPalmer/Malemute/blob/DEVELOP/FOR_RELEASE/GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/Malemute/Mod_Compatablity/ConnectedLivingSpaces.cfg

I'm having it work fine on my machine - I wrote it.  We have another user who says it doesn't work for him, and that it needs a 'passable = true' on all the parts.  (Which requires a bigger rewrite if so, by my understanding.)

At a quick glance, you do need to add passable = true in order for CLS to recognize it as passable in any way.

if you use passable nodes, it will restrict passability to those nodes.  

Take a look at the wiki in my signature, and also in the distribution, in the configs folder, you will see a how to text file.  For your quick reference the wiki page is here: https://github.com/codepoetpbowden/ConnectedLivingSpace/wiki/3.0-Module-Manager-Configuration

Hope that helps.  

Edited by Papa_Joe

No problem.  Then the question is why it works on my machine, instead of why it doesn't on his.  :wink:  (And thanks for the wiki - I'd already referred to it, but obviously something in my understanding was off.)

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

No problem.  Then the question is why it works on my machine, instead of why it doesn't on his.  :wink:  (And thanks for the wiki - I'd already referred to it, but obviously something in my understanding was off.)

You (or they) may have another MM patch which modifies the CLS module on parts.  Depending on the order in which the patches are processed, it'll make a difference.  It's entirely possible for different behavior on two systems unless the set of mods on both systems are identical.  I mean, it's not generally *supposed* to happen, but there's a lot of bad MM patches out there.

Edited by panarchist

I've got a question with modifying saves to allow connected living space to recognize a space station as a single connected area.  I have been able to modify the nodes for all the parts except the grapple node which was used to connect a USI ball hub to an expandable tube.  The connection is linked via a grapple node.  Is it possible to allow kerbals to pass through a grapple node into the adjacent structure?  This mod really adds another level of excitement to my gameplay.  Awesome work!!

Spoiler

dVz9BJV.jpg

Edited by Trolllception

29 minutes ago, Trolllception said:

I've got a question with modifying saves to allow connected living space to recognize a space station as a single connected area.  I have been able to modify the nodes for all the parts except the grapple node which was used to connect a USI ball hub to an expandable tube.  The connection is linked via a grapple node.  Is it possible to allow kerbals to pass through a grapple node into the adjacent structure?  This mod really adds another level of excitement to my gameplay.  Awesome work!!

Hide contents

dVz9BJV.jpg

I do not know the answer to your question for certain. However I imagine that it has to do the with surface attachment rules. I would have thought that the grapple part has a surface attachment to whatever it has grabbed, and therefore config needs to be set for those part specifically (both the grapple part AND the part it has grappled). 

Read the CLS wiki (link in @papa_joe's signature) and pay close attention to the surfaceattachment config options. 

It is possible.  One of the new features of CLS was the ability to add custom parts to your vessels.  It does this by adding a module to the part and telling the part that it is passable.

You can replicate this by adding the module yourself to that part in that vessel.  Additionally, you will need to add a config for that part in your module manager configurations. Creating Module Manager configs are described in the Wiki here: https://github.com/codepoetpbowden/ConnectedLivingSpace/wiki/3.0-Module-Manager-Configuration, and the Configs folder has many examples.   Look there for sample configs. 

To accomplish this, take a look at other parts that contain a module called "ModuleConnectedLivingSpace". Example below:

MODULE
				{
					name = ModuleConnectedLivingSpace
					isEnabled = True
					spaceName = Mk1-2 Command Pod
					EVENTS
					{
					}
					ACTIONS
					{
					}
				}

In this example, the spacename is there, but you can simply remove the spacename.

Copy this code into your part where modules reside, and your module should now be passable. BE SURE to backup your savegame, should this edit not work.  I'd hate for you to lose your work because of a hack.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Papa_Joe

2 hours ago, codepoet said:

I do not know the answer to your question for certain. However I imagine that it has to do the with surface attachment rules. I would have thought that the grapple part has a surface attachment to whatever it has grabbed, and therefore config needs to be set for those part specifically (both the grapple part AND the part it has grappled). 

Read the CLS wiki (link in @papa_joe's signature) and pay close attention to the surfaceattachment config options. 

Codepoet must have been responding about the same time I was.   I never saw the post (Ninja!).

But pay attention to that, as I'm not familiar with the parts in question.  if you can examin the module manager configs for the part your are attaching to, the surface attach rules may well apply.

Doh.  It appears the grapple nodes work as expected as demonstrated by the ball hub which is connected via the same method.  I had the radially attached ISRU part grappled and not the ball hub.  I ended up using the KAS/USI connection tubes and retrofitted the station.  Now my Kerbals can pass freely throughout the station, hooray.  It looks more aesthetically pleasing anyways since the parts are lined up correctly now, no gaps.  Thanks again for getting me on the right track.  Here's a shot of the station with a resupply lander bringing in more Kerbals to assist in operations.  Running a base with USI/MKS requires more Kerbals than I anticipated.

The mod feels like it's in great shape in 1.1.2.  Everything seems to just work... when you attach to the right part!

Spoiler

Kp5eeh0.jpg

Edited by Trolllception

Thanks!  I was hoping that CLS was stable now.

I'm glad you were able to get it working to your satisfaction.

As is shown in your screen shot, the many modders in this community are great.   Mods really make this game great.

Ok, now that I finally got CLS stable, 1.1.3 is now out.

I "think" it should work with 1.1.3 just fine, but I will be refactoring it to take advantage of changes made to support modders with stock crew transfers.

More coming soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update.  I will be release a new version of SM and CLS later today.   testing is complete, so packaging an upload is all that remains.   I will post more after my workday (Day job) is complete.

27 minutes ago, Papa_Joe said:

Just an update.  I will be release a new version of SM and CLS later today.   testing is complete, so packaging an upload is all that remains.   I will post more after my workday (Day job) is complete.

Awesome News!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question...

Is the "PassableWhenSurfaceAttached" flag always set to false?

I have two capsules, both set as passable and crewable attached via the bottom/top methodolgy, and CLS refuses to transfer crew between the two owing to the parts being "Separate Living Quarters" ISTR.

Stock Parts, no impassable nodes...

Does this mean I have to put a hatch/Docking ring between every part, or can the flag be set in the main code to allow passage when connected without a dock/hatch?

26 minutes ago, antiwesley said:

I have a question...

Is the "PassableWhenSurfaceAttached" flag always set to false?

I have two capsules, both set as passable and crewable attached via the bottom/top methodolgy, and CLS refuses to transfer crew between the two owing to the parts being "Separate Living Quarters" ISTR.

Stock Parts, no impassable nodes...

Does this mean I have to put a hatch/Docking ring between every part, or can the flag be set in the main code to allow passage when connected without a dock/hatch?

To answer your first question, typically it is false by default.  Most modules are NOT designed originally to surface attach.

That does not mean that is it false in all cases.  However, without a picture, it is difficult to visualize what you are trying to do.  If you can post a picture, and explain the issue, I might be able to help.

5 hours ago, Papa_Joe said:

To answer your first question, typically it is false by default.  Most modules are NOT designed originally to surface attach.

That does not mean that is it false in all cases.  However, without a picture, it is difficult to visualize what you are trying to do.  If you can post a picture, and explain the issue, I might be able to help.

Part 1: Mk 1 Landercan. Bottom is an impassable node.

rl91sFP.jpg

Part 2: Mk. 1-2 Command Pod. All nodes are open and no impassable nodes.

QOZyL7Y.jpg

Error Message:

4ds5rks.jpg

CLS should be letting Kerbals through, as the parts are listed as passable, and there are no blocked nodes, but it doesn't.

Edited by antiwesley
inserted photos

8 hours ago, antiwesley said:

Part 1: Mk 1 Landercan. Bottom is an impassable node.

rl91sFP.jpg

Part 2: Mk. 1-2 Command Pod. All nodes are open and no impassable nodes.

QOZyL7Y.jpg

Error Message:

4ds5rks.jpg

CLS should be letting Kerbals through, as the parts are listed as passable, and there are no blocked nodes, but it doesn't.

Thanks so much for the detailed response.  This is very helpful.  

I duplicated your test in the editor and on the pad.  CLS window shows that they are in the same space.  However when you attempt a stock transfer, it fails.   Confirmed bug.  I will investigate.

So I'm sure this comes up a lot, but the search terms are so general that I can't find a specific answer in this thread for it. Basically my Kerbals can't transfer because the parts are not in the same living space despite CLS showing that the spaces I want to transfer to/from are all connected. 

Edited by subyng