[1.12.x] Connected Living Space v2.0.2.0 (12 Feb 2022)

Papa_Joe

On 11/15/2016 at 6:44 AM, FrancoisH said:

He just released Ship Manifest so I should say : probably on it's way :)

I am in fact in the code for CLS now.  late changes to KSP 1.2 (like the very last PR build), broke CLS bad.  So, I'm trying to refactor the "magic" that was used for so long that no longer works.  Maybe a MM config will do it, but not sure.  CodePoet was working with Prefabs in the editor and in flight.  he was actually modifying these things every fixed update. All this to support hatches.

Stay tooned. I had some RL things interfering with my mod work, but I am working it actively now.

2 hours ago, Papa_Joe said:

I am in fact in the code for CLS now.  late changes to KSP 1.2 (like the very last PR build), broke CLS bad.  So, I'm trying to refactor the "magic" that was used for so long that no longer works.  Maybe a MM config will do it, but not sure.  CodePoet was working with Prefabs in the editor and in flight.  he was actually modifying these things every fixed update. All this to support hatches.

Stay tooned. I had some RL things interfering with my mod work, but I am working it actively now.

Seems the 1.2 update had more than a few last-minute changes that are biting a lot of people in the butt.  Including Squad, given that they had to bring out a "point" patch so quickly ( 1.2.1 ).

Glad to see you updating - you've taken on a couple of my favorite mods.  Kudos to you!  Hope RL goes a bit more smoothly for you with the holiday season coming up.

Edited by Murdabenne

14 hours ago, Papa_Joe said:

I remember that bit of code was a real pain to get working. If the base game has changed in that area I can be certain that PapaJoe is having to some very heroic work to get it working again!

Still working the issue.  

Me thinks I can completely replace the ModuleDockingHatch with extensions to the existing ModuleDockingNode (stock) using Module Manager.  Since they are related on a one for one basis, it makes sense to simply fold the hatch functionality into the docking node itself.  I'm teaching myself about that as we speak.  of course, doing so will break SM and any other mods (are there any?) that use the hatch functionality of CLS.   Thinking that one over...

Still at it.

Edited by Papa_Joe

I think there might be some docking modules in some of USI's parts - the Malmute docking port comes to mind.  Several mods also have variants of KAS pipes with CLS functionality, I'm not sure if that's related.  (Worth looking at also is the newest Buffalo variant, which has a modified KAS pipe that also allows a hatch - though I haven't looked to close at it, it may just allow access to the hatch of the part it's placed on.)

If neither of those apply, then I don't think anything does.

On 24/11/2016 at 3:53 AM, Papa_Joe said:

Still working the issue.  

Me thinks I can completely replace the ModuleDockingHatch with extensions to the existing ModuleDockingNode (stock) using Module Manager.  Since they are related on a one for one basis, it makes sense to simply fold the hatch functionality into the docking node itself.  I'm teaching myself about that as we speak.  of course, doing so will break SM and any other mods (are there any?) that use the hatch functionality of CLS.   Thinking that one over...

Still at it.

A the time I tried doing it about 3 different ways, until I settled on whatever it was (I can't remember).It was really frustrating as each different approach had an accompanying hard to solve problem related to it. Grrrrr.

I do nit think that the original thread will help to recreate the history much as I think the only post was me saying stuff like "Arrrgghh, I am pulled it all apart and can't make it fit back together again."!!

Good luck.

On 11/26/2016 at 2:31 PM, codepoet said:

Just looking through the original CLS thread. This post seems to speak of what you are going through at the moment (although is not much help.) 

Also this post seems to document another of my dead ends in this area.

Thanks for that.   Still working thru it.  I'm having to learn more about part (not a bad thing), so It is taking me a bit longer than I wanted.  I am thinking about releasing a version without hatches so at lease spaces are accounted for.  I will not give up on hatches, just want to get something functional out.

Thoughts?  

Thanks for that.   Still working thru it.  I'm having to learn more about part (not a bad thing), so It is taking me a bit longer than I wanted.  I am thinking about releasing a version without hatches so at lease spaces are accounted for.  I will not give up on hatches, just want to get something functional out.

Thoughts?  

You would still be able to transfer crew without hatches? If so I would gladly take it in the interm. 

46 minutes ago, Spike88 said:

You would still be able to transfer crew without hatches? If so I would gladly take it in the interm. 

Yes.  hatches add another layer of immersion, and support such things as life support, leaks, etc.  but crew transfers would still be limited by living spaces... It is simply that living spaces could not be further subdivided by closing a hatch.

Now, to be precise, CLS has never performed crew transfers.  It only identifies areas on a vessel that are connected internally and "could" be transferred to without EVA.  another program (such as ShipManifest or KerbalCrewTransfer, or stock) is necessary to actually perform the transfer.  

Edited by Papa_Joe

Yes.  hatches add another layer of immersion, and support such things as life support, leaks, etc.  but crew transfers would still be limited by living spaces... It is simply that living spaces could not be further subdivided by closing a hatch.

Now, to be precise, CLS has never performed crew transfers.  It only identifies areas on a vessel that are connected internally and "could" be transferred to without EVA.  another program (such as ShipManifest or KerbalCrewTransfer, or stock) is necessary to actually perform the transfer.  

Sorry, I meant if the standard functionality would be there without hatches, and my brain abstracted it to crew transfers.

On 3/12/2016 at 9:11 PM, Papa_Joe said:

just want to get something functional out.

Thoughts?  

Would appreciate that so much, so yes please. Really looking forward to be able to tell if my crafts are actually fullfilling the requirements to satisfy 'non-eva-transfer' between parts.

Will CLS function properly on a vessel built before it was installed, assuming the vessel was built with the intention of supporting a cohesive living space? I've got a 1.2 modded career going, and I would like to use CLS, but I'd also like to be able to do some things while I wait for it to update.

4 hours ago, Jacke said:

@WildLynx reported on October 15 (see below) that the latest CLS 1.2.3.0 had issues under KSP 1.2.0 that were solved by reverting to CLS 1.2.2.1.  Can anyone report on how CLS is behaving on KSP 1.2.2?

CLS not working from 1.2.1 times. SQUAD changed something that broke CLS bad.

• 3 weeks later...

CLS Broke with 1.2 last build before release.  I've been battling it ever since.

But I'm here to announce a breakthrough.  I have resolved one of the major issues that codepoet faced when was designing the Hatch interface.  I have successfully replaced his method with a module manager config that provides the needed module.

More to do as I have to now refactor the code into a more elegant form, but I now feel confident that I can release a 1.2.2 compatible version that retains hatches!

Thanks for everyone's long patience, but the result will be even better than I had hoped. We will also gain a performance boost as a result.

12 hours ago, Papa_Joe said:

We will also gain a performance boost as a result

Always a bonus.

I came here wondering about the status of CLS (finally got interested in it enough to check out out (I bet I need to sort out something for EL's orbital dock)), saw relatively old (1-2 months) news about no or slow progress, then your excellent news from 11h ago :)

re EL's dock, I guess there's always the option of EVAing a pilot to the ship then maneuvering it over to a regular dock.

On a more useful note: is there anything I can do to help?

21 minutes ago, taniwha said:

Always a bonus.

I came here wondering about the status of CLS (finally got interested in it enough to check out out (I bet I need to sort out something for EL's orbital dock)), saw relatively old (1-2 months) news about no or slow progress, then your excellent news from 11h ago :)

re EL's dock, I guess there's always the option of EVAing a pilot to the ship then maneuvering it over to a regular dock.

On a more useful note: is there anything I can do to help?

I'm battling two things, the changes made in 1.2 that broke some very old legacy code, and my lack of knowledge on the parts/modules front.  I'm learning both, and this is what allowed me to create the module that codepoet was building in code using prefabs into a proper module manager config.  It is now properly appearing and persisting in the craft file.  Now I just need to clean up the massive quantities of work around code and move it to proper event handlers.  This will get rid of the fixedupdate call he was making to keep the modules synced with each other (ModuleDockingNode and his construct ModuleDockingHatch).  I think it will be much less complex than it was, so just need to strip out the old and build in the new.  If you don't mind, if I have questions related to how parts and module behave I'll ping you via pm.  That will save me a lot of digging and learning the hard way :) )

Edited by Papa_Joe
grammar

5 hours ago, Papa_Joe said:

I'm battling two things, the changes made in 1.2 that broke some very old legacy code, and my lack of knowledge on the parts/modules front.  I'm learning both, and this is what allowed me to create the module that codepoet was building in code using prefabs into a proper module manager config.  It is now properly appearing and persisting in the craft file.  Now I just need to clean up the massive quantities of work around code and move it to proper event handlers.  This will get rid of the fixedupdate call he was making to keep the modules synced with each other (ModuleDockingNode and his construct ModuleDockingHatch).  I think it will be much less complex than it was, so just need to strip out the old and build in the new.  If you don't mind, if I have questions related to how parts and module behave I'll ping you via pm.  That will save me a lot of digging and learning the hard way :) )

Bloody well done.

I remember looking at a module manager approach to the adding the hatches problem, but for some reason was unable to make it work. If you have got it all figured then I expect you will end up with a far more elegant solution, :)

It is great that you have stuck with it - it would have been a shame if CLS ended up having to be abandoned. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, codepoet said:

Bloody well done.

I remember looking at a module manager approach to the adding the hatches problem, but for some reason was unable to make it work. If you have got it all figured then I expect you will end up with a far more elegant solution, :)

It is great that you have stuck with it - it would have been a shame if CLS ended up having to be abandoned. Thanks.

Yes, it took some creativity, and examining the ModuleDockingNode, but found a way to pass the needed data in a config.  now it is rock solid and persists well.

so major cleanup of all the syncing code, and moving things to the events that are now available.  This will make it very elegant indeed.

Finally, Thanks.   I will never give up on a problem until it is solved :P ... 

Update.  Testing so far shows that CLS is working.  There may be an edge case when using inline docking ports, as they do not have one of the fields that CLS expects, but I think I have it accounted for.

I will be releasing an update today.  I will call it good, but as with all releases, there may be issues, and possible issues with existing saves that previously had CLS in place.  Be sure to back up your game save if you had CLS previously installed on the game save from KSP 1.1.3

I appreciate the patience everyone has demonstrated, and Look forward to hearing about the results of the build.  good or bad :P 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.