New thumbnails, watch out for the bloat.

tg626

Logical:

Store thumbnails in the same directory as all your CRAFT files and SFS saves - have them all get deleted when deleting any given save game.

What we got:

Thumbnails are not deleted when save game is deleted, and they are all stored in the same folder "thumbs"...

Squad, I try not to jump on that bandwagon, but you make it very hard...

Are they deleted when a craft is deleted in game, or do they stay then also?

I've still got some thumbnails in /thumbs for craft which I've deleted. So yeah I guess they just collect up.

So the question is, do they all get loaded into memory when the game loads or are they loaded as required. Given the way KSP loads all other assets at the start I'm guessing that they just sit there, the ghosts of craft long deleted and forgotten, doomed to forever haunt my RAM.

Very odd choice, but they're like 20kb each....why are we moaning...

Because 20kB here... 20kB there... it does add up. It is also indicative of a lack of attention to technical details at the developers side. Small things like this that we see leaves us wondering what there may be in there that we don't see.

I've still got some thumbnails in /thumbs for craft which I've deleted. So yeah I guess they just collect up.

So the question is, do they all get loaded into memory when the game loads or are they loaded as required. Given the way KSP loads all other assets at the start I'm guessing that they just sit there, the ghosts of craft long deleted and forgotten, doomed to forever haunt my RAM.

I hardly think they get loaded, game search for craft files, then for thumb, no thumb and you get the default icon, makes no sense to search for thumb first.

My "thumbs" folder is already over 1.3 mb...

Seriously this is ridiculous, sure it's dumb and lazy what they did, but we can't honestly be worrying about this amount of data, in any context.

If you want thumbnails for your ships and are not prepared to save a 30kb picture, then why bother playing the game.

I sincerely hope you're being sarcastic.

Seriously this is ridiculous, sure it's dumb and lazy what they did, but we can't honestly be worrying about this amount of data, in any context.

If you want thumbnails for your ships and are not prepared to save a 30kb picture, then why bother playing the game.

I sincerely hope you're being sarcastic.

Yeah, I'm all for fixing this tiny bug, but the idea of tossing out, "They missed this glaring oversight, who knows what else the may've mucked up! Really testing us here, Squad," is some teen-drama drudgery. Submit a bug ticket and go outside, kids.

I like the addition, but i think a simple disable thumbnails option would be quite welcome by the community. They also dont get deleted when a ship is deleted for whatevr reason, so i think itd be nice to have any thumbnails tied to a ship thats wiped removed. That said, it is still fine as is, i have a habit of deleting the thumbnails folder once in a while (as i often manually delete ships as well so i might as well get teh corresponding thumbs).

oh nice some "old files" preserved :D

6.8MB

232 files... im fine :D

they look like old sim city tiles. someone build a game. :D

L2ndSev.pngSviKZ4h.png8bzGMKo.pngguQiw3A.pngyUcl8Ih.pngJxXurc1.pngWXidLeG.png

and i have 15GB of different ksp version savegames i will never use again ;)

Edited by spaceBrezel

Because 20kB here... 20kB there... it does add up. It is also indicative of a lack of attention to technical details at the developers side. Small things like this that we see leaves us wondering what there may be in there that we don't see.

This... Mock me you will, but it does show a lack of forethought.

Stupid question, never even thought about thumbnails except when I am clipping them.

What even made you look for them to begin with ?

Just happened to notice the folder and opened it, noting that it had craft I had deleted and prefixes for sandboxes I had also deleted.

If it gets loaded into RAM on every launch (limited), then that is quite bad.

If it just takes up hard drive space (cheap), then it's merely poor design.

- Still needs to be fixed, mind you. Just not as damning as scenario 1.

That's what we call a bug. I checked and saw nobody has yet reported it. You might want to do so, so that the devs can get on it and fix it.

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/

How dare you ask somebody to report a bug through proper means and not allow them to come on the forums and bash squad.........

How dare you!

/sarcasm.

Edited by ToddEth
spelling

While you might find this thread as such, I rather think of it as a PSA.

Whilst yes it can be considered a PSA, it hadn't been reported as a bug for squad to look at. That should be the first port of call not coming on the forums with "Squad, I try not jump on the bandwagon but you make it very hard...." That is where the bashing of squad came in.

I also want to be clear that I had no negative connatations towards yourself just people who can not report bugs to the correct place so that they can be looked at.

Whilst yes it can be considered a PSA, it hadn't been reported as a bug for squad to look at. That should be the first port of call not coming on the forums with "Squad, I try not jump on the bandwagon but you make it very hard...." That is where the bashing of squad came in.

I also want to be clear that I had no negative connatations towards yourself just people who can not report bugs to the correct place so that they can be looked at.

I'm not so sure I'd call it a bug either, rather as I said a hallmark of a lack of forethought or as others said poor design. However, now that the term bug has been raised I think I will report it.

While we're on that subject (bug reporting) another thing I think squad has missed the mark on is providing a clear path to make such a bug report. I'll fully accept I might have missed it, heaven knows I sometimes can't find my own butt with both hands and a map, but if there's a directive on where to file a bug report I haven't seen/noticed it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.